Any way to add video to 7.1 gallery sections along with the images?

I have been waiting for this simple feature to be added to 7.1 for years now and will likely switch to another provider because of this feature not being available. I have seen very little improvements for 7.1 despite the high cost of having a squarespace site. This seems like such an obvious addition and am really confused why it has not been added when so many have requested it.

• 2 weeks later...

This is so strange, why take the option of adding a video in a gallery block, this was super useful when you wanted to use the light box functionality to play a video. 

Plus why is the old gallery still there when making a blog but you can access it anywhere else. 

This is so messed up. Shame 

According to the Help Topic on Gallery Blocks, Circle members are able to access this feature:

Circle members can add gallery blocks to all content areas in 7.1. Once they add the block, anyone with permissions to edit site content can edit the block. To learn about becoming a Circle member, visit Squarespace Circle.

So this issues appears not to be technical.  

Gallery sections are nice, but they are not a substitute; you can't get the same level of image/text integration.

Why not make gallery blocks available to everyone.  What's the issue?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2023 at 12:53 AM, Billh said:

According to the Help Topic on Gallery Blocks, Circle members are able to access this feature:

So this issues appears not to be technical.  

Gallery sections are nice, but they are not a substitute; you can't get the same level of image/text integration.

Why not make gallery blocks available to everyone.  What's the issue?

I just tried inserting a Gallery Block on a blog test page (where it is accessible), and unfortunately you can't use images and videos in the Asset Library – you have to upload new images instead. Furthermore, you can't upload a video to a Gallery Block, and can only reference URLs of videos hosted elsewhere.

So even if the Gallery Block were available from any page, it would still be a broken solution. I'm hopeful that we get the ability to mix images and videos in a better architected solution soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, I wanted to add my experience to this topic. I have a video portfolio site in 7.0, and I was interested in moving to 7.1 for the overall flexibility over the design of the site. It’s much more customisable than 7.0, however I was surprised to see that the way 7.1 handles videos is not suitable for a video portfolio site at all. I think that this would be a popular use for Squarespace so this is a big problem.

As a video producer, what I want is extremely simple. I want a grid of videos, that when clicked on by a visitor to the site, open up in a full screen light box, in place, for them to view. Am I correct in understanding that this is no longer possible at all in 7.1? Most video producers that I know of all want this exact layout on their websites.

In 7.0 I could use a Gallery block to display the videos with the lightbox option selected.

In 7.1, it appears that I have to use a Summary block linking to a Videos Collections page (the Portfolio page appears to be for images only). Here are the problems with that:

- The major issue is that when the site visitor clicks on a video in a Summary block, it takes them away from the current page, to a separate individual video page (that shows the date posted, ‘You Might Also Like’ etc.). I don’t want this, I just want them to watch a video full screen on the current page in a lightbox. Why do we have to take viewers away to a separate page for every video?

- The videos collection page appears to only allow custom featured images for uploaded videos, not embedded Vimeo videos (7.0 allowed this), and uploading videos has a 30 minute video storage limit, which is not suitable for my needs. I actually don’t need any video storage, I just need to be able to put custom thumbnails on embedded videos.

- The videos collection page cannot be disabled. I don’t want site visitors to ever go there. I want a clean minimalist site in which the only place to watch videos is on a grid on my portfolio page. That’s it. Also there appears to be a technical issue here - I click the enable button to disable the videos collections page, and then when I click save I get the following error message: ‘Couldn’t update collection - category undefined is not a valid ObjectId’

- There appears to be another technical error related to embedding videos from Vimeo. When I add the video link I get green text reading ‘Video found and ready for use.’ but then once the video has been added, the embedded video window now shows the following error message ‘Unable to load video. Try again later.’. The video does play on the actual site page, but then why is there an error message here (this error message didn’t happen in 7.0).

As an alternative to using a Summary block, it’s possible just to add videos to a page individually and arrange them in a grid. This has the following issues:

- When clicked, videos play in their own tiny little frame without opening up to full screen in a lightbox. This looks really bad. On a computer, the user has the option to click on the full screen button, but this is not ideal as it doesn’t happen automatically and I’d rather not leave that sort of action up to users as they might not do it. On an iPad, the video frames are so small that there is no full screen button at all, so the user has the choice of watching the video in a tiny postage stamp size frame, or tapping the picture in picture button, which provides a floating window that is slightly bigger, but still doesn’t offer a full screen option. This is an absolutely terrible user experience.

- Videos arranged in this way lack a way to style them like when they are in a summary box (e.g. placed together in rows with no gaps between them). A video grid arranged like this simply looks ugly. Is this what Squarespace wants to be known for - ugly websites?

So in summary, in order to have a video portfolio page in 7.1, I can either:

- have viewers taken to an irrelevant page away from the main page every time they click a video.

- or have an ugly grid that plays videos in a tiny frame, with no way to go to full screen whatsoever on iPad.

This is frankly terrible, and makes Squarespace 7.1 a bad platform for a video portfolio site. Judging from this thread people have been asking about this for at least 3 years now. What is going on at Squarespace? All of this could be solved by adding a simple lightbox feature, like we had in 7.0. Why would Squarespace remove basic functionality? The video collection page is fine for people who want it, but it's not good for a clean, minimalist portfolio.

So now I have to choose between keeping an old site design, or looking for a different website supplier, simply because Squarespace is going backwards and taking existing fundamental and basic features away.

If I’m missing something please let me know, because this just seems ridiculous.

Thanks for any assistance.

Absolutely negligent that this is not possible, It is so basic that it never crossed my mind that it wouldn't be possible so of course, they got me for another annual subscription before I found this thread. 

I had my video porftolio site on 7.0 for years -  I'm requesting a refund and moving to another platform that works for video portfolios. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, but removing basic and often-used functions when upgrading a product contradicts what any logical-thinking person would expect. Shouldn't functionality and capabilities improve as version numbers are incremented (7.0 -> 7.1)?

Admittedly, the fluid engine has improved the ease and flexibility regarding layout, but yeeeesh.

I'm going to continue upgrading my site to 7.1, but I don't like having to scour the internet for CSS override solutions and/or paying for plug-ins (Video Lightbox Plug-In) to roll forward functionality from my old site to the "new and improved" 7.1.

Sigh

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, droo said:

Bumping this - also a designer that works with video content a lot, is there any workaround in the gallery sections besides convert to GIF? The site will get far too heavy

I just tested some code to add Video to Gallery Section: Grid Simple

https://tuanphan3.squarespace.com/video-in-gallery-section?noredirect

pass: abc

Is this what you want? If yes, you can send some videos + link to page where you use Gallery Grid, I can give the code

image.thumb.png.a3ff3b817ac4488e290f4f17b964f52b.png

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jcmpainter said:

I’ve been trying to figure out how to create a video grid for days. I don’t know how to code.  

First, add this code to Website Tools (under Not Linked) > Code Injection > Footer

<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.7.0/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script>
$(document).ready(function(){
$('figure[class*="gallery-"] video').closest('figure').addClass('hide-image');
});
</script>

Next, this code to Website Tools > Custom CSS

/* hide gallery section images */
 .hide-image [class*="-item-wrapper"] {
 display: none !important;
 }

Edit Gallery Section > Edit each image > Paste the code similar this (replace example mp4 with new video url)

<video width="100%" height="240" controls>
  <source src="https://www.w3schools.com/tags/movie.mp4" type="video/mp4">
</video>

image.png.987b2332c9678b6f823f1906f58e6885.png

these code will replace image with video, so the result

image.png.b5782f0c65c00c0be4ab91baeaa8677a.png

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Good news! Please try my script Classic Gallery block to bring back Gallery blocks into 7.1 template, both Fluid and Classic sections supported.

Gallery block allows you to embed videos from Vimeo and Youtube to create a video gallery

https://beyondspace-showcase.squarespace.com/classic-gallery-block

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!