Change service to product?

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

So I'm just about to take my site live when I realize that all of my inventory was mistakenly added as "services" instead of physical products. How can I change this without having to delete all of my inventory and starting over? It doesn't give the option when I try to edit....

• Solution
On 6/25/2020 at 12:53 AM, emorrow said:

my inventory was mistakenly added as "services" instead of physical products. How can I change this without having to delete all of my inventory and starting over?

Once a product has been added, it cannot be changed from a service to a physical product - or vice versa. Products must be added again.

However, there's a CSV export/import option that should help you to do this:

• Export your products to a CSV file
  • Open the .csv file in a spreadsheet editor, like Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel.
  • Ensure each Product Type field from Service to Physical
  • Save the CSV file
  • Import the CSV file. You can import up to 200 products per Product Page via .csv. Each product can have up to 100 variants.

For more information, see Completing the product import .csv file

Note that you'll need to install them as completely new products on a new products page. You cannot simply update existing products because the product type cannot be changed.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

On 6/25/2020 at 1:34 AM, paul2009 said:

Once a product has been added, it cannot be changed from a service to a physical product - or vice versa. Products must be added again.

However, there's a CSV export/import option that should help you to do this:

• Export your products to a CSV file
  • Open the .csv file in a spreadsheet editor, like Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel and change each Product Type field from Service to Physical
  • Save the CSV file
  • Import the CSV file. You can import up to 200 products per Product Page via .csv. Each product can have up to 100 variants.

For more information, see Completing the product import .csv file

This does not work for me. I did exactly this, made sure to capitalize PHYSICAL, made sure there were no spaces, etc. When importing, Squarespace always returns that the Product Type field is invalid. I've used Apple Numbers, Excel, and Google Sheets, always saving as CSV with the CSV file extension. 

If these are existing products, you cannot change the product type. It is fixed and cannot be edited (changing the field in the CSV file will cause an error on import). You must add them as completely new products on a new products page. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 9 months later...

There is a work around - if you delete the product id and product variant, change SERVICE to PHYSICAL, and then give that product a unique URL (I just added "1" to the end of each). This creates a duplicate product in your inventory that is now a PHYSICAL product. Still working on how to batch delete all the original SERVICE products...

Way faster than recreating all the products.

• 1 year later...