VAT in EU and outside

Hi there,

I know this is not possible at this point, but this is URGENTLY needed and is a big loss for many European businesses that are using Squarespace.

It is required in B2C business model to show ONLY the end price where the VAT is already included. So you have to select the option where tax is already part of the product price.

But then there is an issue, if you want to deliver to non European Union countries (Switzerland is a good example), you are not allowed to collect German VAT from the Swiss customers, since it is a totally different amount and also, because the customs are imposing their local Swiss taxes when the package crosses the Swiss border. So this puts the business in a very non flexible position, where you need to exclude this country from the delivery list completely, which is not only financial loss of the potential revenue, but is also discriminating for the potential customers in non-EU countries.

Dear Squarespace team, there must be a very simple and easy fix for you, how to make it more flexible, it could be an easy option, where you can actually deduct the VAT, so let's say in the "Tax" section, I can also exclude particular VAT % from specific countries, so it is the same system as you have now, but just "negative", meaning it will remove the unnecessary tax during the checkout automatically. Sort of working like "discount", but obviously is legally and from taxes perspective reflected accurately on the invoice. 

You have a great product, but this kind of flaws are pretty frustrating for someone who is in Europe and wants to try all the available options there is order to find the right target group and the right way.

Thanks.

Hi MATTER, 

Thanks for your valuable feedback. I'd be happy to forward it to our development team on your behalf. While we can't guarantee implementation of every suggestion, customer feedback is an important part of how we continue to improve our platform, so we appreciate your input! 

For any future feature requests, contacting Customer Support would be the best approach as per point 6 of the forum guidelines we don't usually track feature requests here.

Hi Matter, did you find a solution to this problem? I am having the same problem and if there is no solution I might have to move to another platform. Would love to hear how you are dealing with this...  Thank you is much

Hi also from our side! 

We are facing the same problem and we will need to change to another platform if this doesn't get solved in the next months. 

huge problem and huge loss in income because people expect the German VAT (we are based in Germany) to disappear when they enter their shipping address. As it doesn't many of them cancel their order. That doesn't make sense for all the effort we put into the online shop. It is a BASIC that is absolutely essential if you offer an online shop system that sells across countries. 

Hopet this gets fixed sooner than later otherwise you will loose many clients you just won during the lockdowns when they quickly set up an online shop as we did ... 

Thank you very much

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
16 minutes ago, androoid said:

no way to understand how to submit this as a request

To make a feature request and ensure it is seen by the right people at Squarespace, you can do so via Squarespace Customer Care using a support ticket. If you are having difficulties contacting Squarespace, please read how to contact Squarespace and see if this helps.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.