How do I create an autoresponse to the messages that come through on the contact us form?

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

How do I create an autoresponse to the messages that come through from the Contact Us form? I read a post that said to download Zapier but does that work for non-gmail accounts? The response would need to come to a business account.  Thank you!

• Solution

This is not something that you can do inside Squarespace. You will require third party services. 

When Squarespace send you an email that has originated from a form on your site they set the "Reply-To" email address to the email address supplied by the user in the form. This allows you to easily reply to their form submission manually, but it isn’t suitable for auto-replies, because these will go back to the sender - and that’s Squarespace. 

The auto-reply solution will depend on the product you are using for your email. However, Zapier can be integrated with Squarespace Forms and be used to send auto-response messages back to the originator. 

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

My concern is that they'll respond back to Squarespace since they are the ones sending the emails. Do they actually go back to the email accounts that the sender included in the contact form?

I just did. When I set up the autoresponder in the ionos mail site, it doesn't seem to auto respond to my test messages. And then I tried auto responding from Apple Mail but that just gives me bounce backs because they're going to "noreply@squarespace".... any ideas?

• 6 months later...

Hi,

i've been struggling with the same issue as mentioned in this topic. i'm using gmail as a the product to read all my mails. In my gmail account i've created a filter to auto reply a template message to all emails that have "Form Submission" in the topic field. When running a test i noticed that the filter replied to wrong emailadres (not the adress that was mentioned in the form) 

and idea what to do?

thanks!

Autoreply.thumb.JPG.c69d8ef07ff7e32a7690ea6c64629fab.JPG

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem, you cant set up auto-responses to Sqaurespace contact forms, you say its not a Squarespace problem but it is. How do we solve this problem? Auto responses are a key part of customer engagement and a solution to combating junk and spam mail issues with our emails.

When a visitor submits the "Contact Form" the email is sent from "no-reply@squarespace.info" and the FROM NAME is "SQUARESPACE" , this is a big problem because it doesn't look professional and doesn't fit with the website's domain and branding and i had to explain to my client many times that "SQUARESPACE<squarespace.info>" is the website host email, one of them even blocked it thinking its spam!

i really hope there is a solution for this, for some of us this is a major issue !

anyone have a solution for this ? thanks

Edited by dotexe

This is something that you cannot currently change in Squarespace, either with settings or with code.

As Squarespace are sending your client the email, they understandably declare this in the From field. As your client's website is hosted on Squarespace it is normal for forms submitted via the website to arrive from Squarespace.

Whilst it may be helpful to use the forum to share product feedback with other customers, it is not routinely monitored by Squarespace for product feedback or feature requests. You can provide feedback to Squarespace or raise a feature request by opening a ticket through Squarespace Customer Support.

Other similar posts include:

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

On 6/22/2020 at 8:50 PM, paul2009 said:

This is something that you cannot currently change in Squarespace, either with settings or with code.

As Squarespace are sending your client the email, they understandably declare this in the From field. As your client's website is hosted on Squarespace it is normal for forms submitted via the website to arrive from Squarespace.

Whilst it may be helpful to use the forum to share product feedback with other customers, it is not routinely monitored by Squarespace for product feedback or feature requests. You can provide feedback to Squarespace or raise a feature request by opening a ticket through Squarespace Customer Support.

Other similar posts include:

thanks for the response, i really do hope squarespace considers adding this soon, definitely a deal breaker in some cases depending on the type of client. I've also just submitted a feature request

On 6/19/2020 at 9:44 AM, FRANKalonso said:

Was this ever resolved? I am having the same issue, the email from the form comes with subject FROM SUBMISSION and email no-reply. Cant create auto respond, email comes back as error. Anyone figured it out?

Thanks

no, this has not been resolved, very poor showing by squarespace 😕 , i suggest you submit a feature request by opening a ticket like i did. Hopefully this will push them to add this basic feature.

Edited by dotexe
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 6/19/2020 at 9:44 AM, FRANKalonso said:

Was this ever resolved? I am having the same issue, the email from the form comes with subject FROM SUBMISSION and email no-reply. Cant create auto respond, email comes back as error. Anyone figured it out?

Thanks

Anyone made any progress with this? Pretty inconvenient.

Folks. A no reply from email address is pretty standard in many emails these days. Your bank is doing it, the power company is doing it, and SS is doing it. It is the way the internet works.

If you want to auto-respond paul2009 has given you the solution. You need to process the auto generated email to auto reply. Use Zapier, use Apple Mail, whatever. You'll need to do some programming to process the emails.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2021 at 11:28 AM, creedon said:

Folks. A no reply from email address is pretty standard in many emails these days. Your bank is doing it, the power company is doing it, and SS is doing it. It is the way the internet works.

If you want to auto-respond paul2009 has given you the solution. You need to process the auto generated email to auto reply. Use Zapier, use Apple Mail, whatever. You'll need to do some programming to process the emails.

Squarespace needs to simplify this for it's users. Not every small business owner has the knowledge, skills and ability to do some "programming". This is a big issue for a lot of people, and I believe it should be a priority for Squarespace to resolve.