Conditional product variant options?

I have products that have a "Manufacturer" and "Model".

For example, the following list:

Dodge Charger

Dodge Caravan

Kia Optoma

Kia Sedona

Toyota Camry

In the above example, if I simply add options "Manufacturer" and "Model," the product will display two drop down boxes. One for each option. So far so good. However, when I choose "Dodge" from the "Manufacturer" drop down, it still lists "Charger, Caravan, Optoma, Sedona, and Camry" as options under Model.

How do I make it where if the user selects manufacturer "Kia" they are only presented with Optoma and Sedona as possible "Model" options? Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many manufacturer and model combinations will you have?

You've only mentioned five, but I assume you are simplifying the question to help us to understand?

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Just now, paul2009 said:

How many manufacturer and model combinations will you have?

You've only mentioned five, but I assume you are simplifying the question to help us to understand?

Yes, I have 10 manufacturers, each manufacturer has approximately 10 models.

Manufacturer G

Product G19

Model G17

Model G19

Model G19X

Model G45

Model G23

Model G32

In this example, they'd pick G. Under G they'd pick any of the models, which are actually just "Product G19" but listed as different models that G19 actually works with. Hope this is makes sense.

I've come to the conclusion SquareSpace just isn't powerful enough to support a site like mine.

The fact is, I have items that have options. For example, I should be able to have a single product listing that lets you pick:

Manufacturer (10 options)

Model (10 options, should change dynamically when manufacturer is picked)

Color (11 options)

Clips (12 options)

Size (4 options)

So under SquareSpace, this would a product with a 10 x 11 x 12 x 4 variants, and that's not accounting for manufacturer as each manufacturer could I suppose have it's own product. That's literally 5,280 different variants, which of course is a bit past the 100 variant limit and way past the time it's worth inputting all that in. 

It would be amazing to have options that simply apply to various product categories. For example, I want to sell shirts. Each shirt is going to have 11 color options and 4 size options. I shouldn't have to make 44 variants per shirt (I might have 90 shirts) for every shirt I want to sell. That's madness.

Anyway, my hope is someone in the future will come across this post and go elsewhere. This isn't a knock on SquareSpace necessarily, it's just SS is obviously designed for a very small shop, with a few items and only a few options per item.

• 2 years later...

Hello @DirtDiver

I have the same problem as you.

What shop is working for you?

I'm currently testing BigCommerce, but we have the same problem there as well.

Thank you 

On 6/22/2020 at 8:35 PM, DirtDiver said:

I've come to the conclusion SquareSpace just isn't powerful enough to support a site like mine.

The fact is, I have items that have options. For example, I should be able to have a single product listing that lets you pick:

Manufacturer (10 options)

Model (10 options, should change dynamically when manufacturer is picked)

Color (11 options)

Clips (12 options)

Size (4 options)

So under SquareSpace, this would a product with a 10 x 11 x 12 x 4 variants, and that's not accounting for manufacturer as each manufacturer could I suppose have it's own product. That's literally 5,280 different variants, which of course is a bit past the 100 variant limit and way past the time it's worth inputting all that in. 

It would be amazing to have options that simply apply to various product categories. For example, I want to sell shirts. Each shirt is going to have 11 color options and 4 size options. I shouldn't have to make 44 variants per shirt (I might have 90 shirts) for every shirt I want to sell. That's madness.

Anyway, my hope is someone in the future will come across this post and go elsewhere. This isn't a knock on SquareSpace necessarily, it's just SS is obviously designed for a very small shop, with a few items and only a few options per item.