Subscribe To Blog Button

Easiest way is to use a free third party RSS feed. I use Follow It, which used to be called Specific Feeds. You can easily add a button anywhere on your site, and subscribers can choose to get a notification or have the whole blog emailed to them. I play with both but I like the first better. There are other notifications options as well. 

If you wish to check it out as a potential subscriber look here:

https://myrandomviews.com/storysummary

Edited by derricksrandomviews
3 hours ago, derricksrandomviews said:

Easiest way is to use a free third party RSS feed. I use Follow It, which used to be called Specific Feeds. You can easily add a button anywhere on your site, and subscribers can choose to get a notification or have the whole blog emailed to them. I play with both but I like the first better. There are other notifications options as well. 

If you wish to check it out as a potential subscriber look here:

https://myrandomviews.com/storysummary

Thanks for that, I thought there was a way to do this with squarespace. There is a RSS feed but when adding this and selecting it it seems to take you to a page with loads of code?

Not a lot of code,  You sign up for a free account, insert a verification code in the advanced header of your blog page (this does require a business plan) or with personal plan use a markdown block  in your blog header. Then insert a button, either theirs or your own,  add a clickable  url to it, that's all. If you want to interface with the squarespace newsletter form, that takes some additional  code.  I prefer a simple button. 

When a reader uses it, after clicking my button, they simply choose how they want to get the feed. No code. 

Another option is to use Google's Feedburner. Its okay, I used it for a long time, but I prefer the look and options for my readers that Follow.it provides. 

https://feedburner.google.com/

16 hours ago, derricksrandomviews said:

Not a lot of code,  You sign up for a free account, insert a verification code in the advanced header of your blog page (this does require a business plan) or with personal plan use a markdown block  in your blog header. Then insert a button, either theirs or your own,  add a clickable  url to it, that's all. If you want to interface with the squarespace newsletter form, that takes some additional  code.  I prefer a simple button. 

When a reader uses it, after clicking my button, they simply choose how they want to get the feed. No code. 

Another option is to use Google's Feedburner. Its okay, I used it for a long time, but I prefer the look and options for my readers that Follow.it provides. 

https://feedburner.google.com/

Thanks, I have signed up for feedburner but it's how to get it showing on my site with a simple button that needs to be clicked.

You have to validate your RSS feed url which is your domain followed by the following, as long as  you have your blog page slug "blog"   /blog?format=rss

You paste that into the feedburner  field then hit next and you pick a simple button. You get some html code, after that that you paste in your site with a code block. I used feedburner for quite a long time, then it just quit on me. I would show you an example of the button code but many of my blog posts are too large, Feedburner has a file limitation which is why I switched to Follow.it  Plus it uses a simple link that I can attach to a text link, or a Squarespace button or an icon image, of my choosing. 

One other thing, you can't do any RSS setup if your site is password protected, or not live yet.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Are there any updates for this RSS/feedburner, etc. discussion? I want to give people the option to subscribe to my blog, but the instructions I'm finding might as well be in greek. I tried Feedburner, but kept getting "unknown error".  (where I've seen old tutorials, the spot for "feed address" is now labeled "customr url" with part of the feedburner url embedded. I assumed this would ble where one adds the shorter name. FYI, I'm pretty sure I used the "....squarespace.com/blog?format=rss" domain url correctly.  

I hired someone to build my site, she taught me a bit, and have managed on my own, so far. But I'm ready go a little deeper on my own.  I feel like I'm missing something very basic. 

thanks, Dennis