Search Bar Not Working

Site URL: https://www.spiritofhealthkc.com/

For several months now our search bar has not been working properly. We have a title called, "Best Practices For Avoiding & Combating Viruses" but if you search the full title these ways, it says it can't find anything:  "best practices for avoiding & combating viruses" "best practices for avoiding and combating viruses" "viruses" "Best Practices For Avoiding and Combating Viruses" 

However, if you write it exactly how the blog is written with the same punctuation (caps and & symbols), it will show up "Best Practices For Avoiding & Combating Viruses" or "Viruses"

This happens with all of our blogs. 

I've reached out to Squarespace numerous times over the last few months about the issue. They've re-indexed the site several times and below is their most recent response. 

Is anyone else dealing with this? Any ideas on what is going on?

"After taking some additional time to investigate, I can confirm the issue you're seeing with the built-in search bar is due to an issue on our end. In this case, the issue is preventing partial phrases or keywords from returning results. In order to view a specific post in search results, the exact title needs to be entered. 

I can also see you previously reported this issue in February, 2020 on a separate email request and can confirm we have noted your sites instance of this issue for our Design and Engineering teams to review. They’ll use this feedback when implementing fixes and improvements in future releases."

"This bug's impact will vary depending on a number of factors like the type of site, the volume of content, how visitors navigate the site, and the ways the content is promoted or organized.  For example, a lot of sites may never experience this behavior because of their site's structure/content or how often their visitors dig up older posts. 

For your site in particular, it looks like all of your posts are on a single Blog Page with posts dating back to 2014. If your visitors are frequently searching for older posts, you may want to consider creating multiple Blog Pages so you have an additional layer of organization - Blog Page, Category, Tag. Also, since the Blog Page and Summary Blocks display posts in chronological order, you may want to create a tag/category specifically for these popular posts.  

You may also want to consider hiding the Search Block from your Navigation due to its inconsistent results.  You can do this from Design > Site Styles > Header:Layout > Search Position > Hide. This will encourage visitors to explore the other links and pages you've set up for finding this content."

• 2 months later...
On 6/9/2020 at 2:41 PM, CarrieT said:

For several months now our search bar has not been working properly. We have a title called, "Best Practices For Avoiding & Combating Viruses" but if you search the full title these ways, it says it can't find anything:  "best practices for avoiding & combating viruses" "best practices for avoiding and combating viruses" "viruses" "Best Practices For Avoiding and Combating Viruses" 

However, if you write it exactly how the blog is written with the same punctuation (caps and & symbols), it will show up "Best Practices For Avoiding & Combating Viruses" or "Viruses"

I've reached out to Squarespace numerous times over the last few months about the issue. They've re-indexed the site several times and below is their most recent response. 

"After taking some additional time to investigate, I can confirm the issue you're seeing with the built-in search bar is due to an issue on our end. In this case, the issue is preventing partial phrases or keywords from returning results. In order to view a specific post in search results, the exact title needs to be entered. 

I can also see you previously reported this issue in February, 2020 on a separate email request and can confirm we have noted your sites instance of this issue for our Design and Engineering teams to review. They’ll use this feedback when implementing fixes and improvements in future releases."

"This bug's impact will vary depending on a number of factors like the type of site, the volume of content, how visitors navigate the site, and the ways the content is promoted or organized.  For example, a lot of sites may never experience this behavior because of their site's structure/content or how often their visitors dig up older posts. 

For your site in particular, it looks like all of your posts are on a single Blog Page with posts dating back to 2014. If your visitors are frequently searching for older posts, you may want to consider creating multiple Blog Pages so you have an additional layer of organization - Blog Page, Category, Tag. Also, since the Blog Page and Summary Blocks display posts in chronological order, you may want to create a tag/category specifically for these popular posts.  

You may also want to consider hiding the Search Block from your Navigation due to its inconsistent results.  You can do this from Design > Site Styles > Header:Layout > Search Position > Hide. This will encourage visitors to explore the other links and pages you've set up for finding this content."  

I have been having the same issues on cybersecop.com has well, called a few time and was told this was going to be fixed 4 months ago, it is a hit and miss with results. event for our main pages.   sometimes you will get result, and with the same keyword remove it and  try again and nothing. you can try another few time, and sometime you will get the result. also sometime the result popup for 30 milliseconds then display no result. Your search did not match any documents. see image attach for cybersecurity 

Capture.PNG

Edited by CyberSecOP
add another image
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm experiencing a similar issue. This morning my search bar was working off and on and now it just doesn't work at all for any search term. I tested search on a few other SS sites I'm aware of and had the same issue. Chrome and Safari. Chatted with support and they are "escalating the ticket". Is anyone else's search just not working at all now?

• 4 weeks later...

I've been on the platform for about 3 years and in my experience search has never worked well or as expected. I hope that it's on the roadmap to fix.

christyprice.com  🇺🇸 Austin, TX US 

Get my 100+ item Client Process Checklist for $17.
📔 Flourish Journal for Creative Entrepreneurs - 365 days of prompts
🎥 Watch Circle Live: Hello Income (feat. Christy Price and Jeremy Schwartz)
🎬 Watch It's Not Hard to Say Goodbye: Crafting Client Offboarding from Circle Day 2023

I am experiencing the same issue. has anybody been able to solve it or get a straight answer/solution from Squarespace? They say to clean your caches, but how am I supposed to tell anybody on my website to clean their caches if they want to be able to find anything? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 11:41 AM, CarrieT said:

Mine is completely not working. PLEASE SQUARESPACE FIX THIS

Site Search was iffy until recently. Now it has pretty much stopped working completely on several websites. (Try it here on https://www.ourwintergreen.org/search )

But, here's a clue to what the issue is. On this same website we also have a targeted site search on one of the blogs, and it works pretty well. Try it with the word "fences" here: https://www.ourwintergreen.org/covenants/2020/1/14/understanding-wintergreens-covenants-is-easy

--

UPDATED on Nov 24, 2020:

Email response after chat:

I can confirm that there is an issue with the Search function on our end and the Engineers are currently working on a fix for it.

That being said, there are many moving parts and variables that need to be addressed before we can roll out a solution here. We thoroughly test all fixes before they’re released to ensure they don’t affect other Squarespace components or customers, so as a result, resolution time often varies, and we aren’t able to provide a timeline for this.

Thank you for your patience while we work to resolve this!

UPDATED ON NOV 30, 2020

Under "Fixes" today on Circle Release Notes: "

• Fixed an issue where Site Search wasn’t returning any results across sites.
Edited by Addcontext
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2020 at 8:51 AM, Addcontext said:

Site Search was iffy until recently. Now it has pretty much stopped working completely on several websites. (Try it here on https://www.ourwintergreen.org/search )

But, here's a clue to what the issue is. On this same website we also have a targeted site search on one of the blogs, and it works pretty well. Try it with the word "fences" here: https://www.ourwintergreen.org/covenants/2020/1/14/understanding-wintergreens-covenants-is-easy

--

UPDATED on Nov 24, 2020:

Email response after chat:

I can confirm that there is an issue with the Search function on our end and the Engineers are currently working on a fix for it.

That being said, there are many moving parts and variables that need to be addressed before we can roll out a solution here. We thoroughly test all fixes before they’re released to ensure they don’t affect other Squarespace components or customers, so as a result, resolution time often varies, and we aren’t able to provide a timeline for this.

Thank you for your patience while we work to resolve this!

UPDATED ON NOV 30, 2020

Under "Fixes" today on Circle Release Notes: "

• Fixed an issue where Site Search wasn’t returning any results across sites.

Thanks for the updated feedback from SQ. Unfortunately, search is still broken on my site. :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You may as well give up. I have been trying for the past YEAR to get support to fix the very basic search function on my blog page. Each time I get the same stack message - "we are actively working on it" and each time absolutely nothing is done. I find this really insulting to the intelligence.

NOT acceptable Squarespace.....

I guess the fix is Wix......

12 hours ago, alanbrownphotography said:

You may as well give up. I have been trying for the past YEAR to get support to fix the very basic search function on my blog page. Each time I get the same stack message - "we are actively working on it" and each time absolutely nothing is done. I find this really insulting to the intelligence.

NOT acceptable Squarespace.....

I guess the fix is Wix......

Hi, have you tried it on Wix already? I came to Squarespace specifically for a somewhat ok markdown support but I'm disappointed that it doesn't support proper search. 

Would be glad if someone posted a link to example site hosted on Wix that shows how search works on it.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, nawilkes said:

Looking at same problem today with our website Canyoneering USA

As suggested above, site search works sometimes, but inconsistently. If I type in a query, then refresh 5-6 times, I eventually get a result. Not good enough, Squarespace. It's disturbing this issue has persisted for months without a response or solution.

I'm having issues too, I thought it was just me, but the search is basically useless. i have hundreds of blogs and pages so i need a working search.