Disable feature for portfolio sub-pages 7.1

I have been building a new portfolio site in 7.1 using a portfolio page as my homepage. Intially I thought this was a great feature, but it now appears it is missing some basic functionality – specifically, the option to disable/hide the portfolio sub-pages. Firstly, without this functionality it is not possible to build a sub-page in the background and make it live when you are happy with it – it is immediately live, which is surely no one would want (other page types have a disable function to keep them invisible from site vistors). Secondly, a disable/hide function would allow you to create a portfolio with lots of pages, and then select which ones to display in the main portfolio page – meaning you could keep your portfolio fresh by swapping projects in and out very easily. Without this functionality, the only option is to delete and then rebuild the sub-pages, which is very time consuming!

Has anyone else come up against this issue and perhaps come up with a solution? And could anyone who wants this functionality please email customer support to request it – they will only prioritise it if enough people ask.

I have stopped working with portfolio for several reasons:
- As you say, it's either live or delete. No ability to hide the item.
- There is a limit of max 40 items. (I discovered that the hard way after importing 40 cases, after that you will be stuck and you are forced to delete a portfolio item if you want to add a new)
- Changing item order only works if you move it up 1 spot at the time. If you try two, all other items will rearrange

I also don't understand why certain settings have to affect portfolios site-wide. For example the cropping ratio – it appears you can't have one portfolio on your site cropped to 1:1 and another cropped 3:2. Clearly consistency of presentation has been prioritised which makes sense, but being able to override certain controls without the use of custom CSS would be useful.

Hi @Melchior and @matthewhodges,

Thank you for flagging the issue with reordering projects in Portfolio pages. We’ve noted this for our Design and Engineering teams to review, and they’ll use this feedback when implementing fixes and improvements in future releases.

Also, I'd like to point out that for any issues you might experience with the Squarespace platform and/or any feedback you'd like to be logged, contacting our Customer Support team is the best approach. As per point 6 of the Forum Guidelines we don't track bug reports and feature requests] in this forum. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Frankdj said:

I'm running in the same issue... I have portfolio pages that I want to hide, but there is no way of doing this other than deleting it.

In the meantime, if you share link to your site, I can give the code to hide sub pages

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 6:56 AM, matthewhodges said:

I also don't understand why certain settings have to affect portfolios site-wide. For example the cropping ratio – it appears you can't have one portfolio on your site cropped to 1:1 and another cropped 3:2. Clearly consistency of presentation has been prioritised which makes sense, but being able to override certain controls without the use of custom CSS would be useful.

I'm running into this too trying to set the number of columns to be different for each portfolio page. I building a site with 3 different portfolio pages. I'd like fore each one to have a different number of columns. Does anyone know of a way to do this while we wait for a possible future update? 

4 hours ago, dezziddine said:

I'm running into this too trying to set the number of columns to be different for each portfolio page. I building a site with 3 different portfolio pages. I'd like fore each one to have a different number of columns. Does anyone know of a way to do this while we wait for a possible future update? 

You can use custom CSS. If you share link to 3 portfolios page. We can check the code easier.

Or send to forum message

• 3 months later...
On 6/17/2020 at 8:56 AM, matthewhodges said:

Did you or anyone else ever find a work around for this? Is there a CSS solution you can point me to? Any help would be most appreciated, as I'm simply trying to have different crop ratios in two or three portfolio pages. Thanks!

18 hours ago, Abstract_Truth said:

Did you or anyone else ever find a work around for this? Is there a CSS solution you can point me to? Any help would be most appreciated, as I'm simply trying to have different crop ratios in two or three portfolio pages. Thanks!

Yes. This is possible. If you share link to these portolios pages + let me know which ratio you want. We can give the CSS.

Or send to forum message

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed! Some basic functionality missing in version 7.1:  the option to enable/disable portfolio projects is fundamental when creating a portfolio.
Projects should be easy to arrange, activate and protect with password when needed. 

Already contacted the Customer Support team, looking forward to having this addressed by Squarespace soon.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 11:37 AM, tuanphan said:

In the meantime, if you share link to your site, I can give the code to hide sub pages

Could you give me the code to hide my portfolio sub-pages as well?
finn1pt.squarespace.com
password: access

Also, I read a comment above that each sub-page is limited to 40 items, in my case I use the portfolio pages for blog summaries. Am I limited to 40 blog summaries per portfolio sub-page?

On 12/4/2020 at 7:03 PM, m_lundberg said:

Could you give me the code to hide my portfolio sub-pages as well?
finn1pt.squarespace.com
password: access

Also, I read a comment above that each sub-page is limited to 40 items, in my case I use the portfolio pages for blog summaries. Am I limited to 40 blog summaries per portfolio sub-page?

Which sub page you want to hide?

Or send to forum message

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/19/2023 at 9:20 AM, jschussler said:

Add me to the list of folks wanting to hide portfolio sub-pages.

On my site: https://www.johnschussler.com/photography

I'd like to hide collections 3-7 for a while. Ideally I'd turn each of them on one by one as I get the images uploaded to Fine Art America and build out the links.

Collections 3, 4, 5, 6, 7? Add this to Design > Custom CSS

div#gridThumbs>a:nth-child(n+3) {
    display: none;
}

Or send to forum message