Move sub pages to another portfolio

Site URL: https://www.gsmcs.co.uk/gallery

Hi all, I've just realised there's a limit to the number of sub pages you can add to a portfolio page. This has created a few issues as I need to add some more sub pages. I'm going to create more portfolio pages to break down the 'gallery collection'. Does anyone know whether or how you can move sub pages from one portfolio page to another? I'm told by Square Space that this functionality isn't available

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 8
  • Views 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you said, the help page says you can't move sub pages. I find this to be very limiting. You also can't duplicate portfolios, only sub pages.

I was going to use portfolio pages on the site I'm redoing, but I might just use blog posts instead of portfolio sub pages, because then you can put summary blocks anywhere. Blog pages seem to be more flexible. Plus I'm looking to re-use sub pages across pages, so I can use categories for that.

By the way, I love musical theatre, so I enjoyed seeing your site.

• 7 months later...

clockyer, 

I really like your site. It is laid out exactly how I am looking to lay out my site as well. I have searched and searched and cant figure out hoe to do it.

I hope I am not hijacking your post but....

Can you please explain how to do this? I am using square space 7.1. I want to mention that I have never done website design of any kind up until a little less than a week ago. I am progressing but cautiously. So you might need to be very laymen in your explanation. Images help. I know I am asking for a lot.

This is what I would like to achieve and what I "believe" your have set up with your site:

Home page - portfolio page (simple layout with "buttons" of different categories) **not certain if button is the correct term** 

Sub pages -  each "button" on the home page links to either additional sub portfolios or content (galleries, texts, etc.) 

Essentially you could branch down as many sub categories as you want in as many layers deep as you want. With limitations apparently per your original intent of this post.

Thank you for any help.

img076.thumb.jpg.e7dea542a0c78c93b72574d1d647adf0.jpg

• 7 months later...
On 3/14/2021 at 6:50 AM, wgleasondesign said:

clockyer, 

I really like your site. It is laid out exactly how I am looking to lay out my site as well. I have searched and searched and cant figure out hoe to do it.

I hope I am not hijacking your post but....

Can you please explain how to do this? I am using square space 7.1. I want to mention that I have never done website design of any kind up until a little less than a week ago. I am progressing but cautiously. So you might need to be very laymen in your explanation. Images help. I know I am asking for a lot.

This is what I would like to achieve and what I "believe" your have set up with your site:

Home page - portfolio page (simple layout with "buttons" of different categories) **not certain if button is the correct term** 

Sub pages -  each "button" on the home page links to either additional sub portfolios or content (galleries, texts, etc.) 

Essentially you could branch down as many sub categories as you want in as many layers deep as you want. With limitations apparently per your original intent of this post.

Thank you for any help.

img076.thumb.jpg.e7dea542a0c78c93b72574d1d647adf0.jpg

Apologies but I have only just seen this. Are you still needing help, if so I'm more than happy to help. My other sites are: www.lionatpennard.co.uk and www.abbeytearooms.co.uk

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 8:03 AM, clockyer said:

I've just realised there's a limit to the number of sub pages you can add to a portfolio page. Does anyone know whether or how you can move sub pages from one portfolio page to another?

This isn’t possible. This limitation is imposed by Squarespace and cannot be overridden. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 year later...

Yes it's a real shame you cannot move pages between portfolios like you could with images within galleries on V7. If the portfolios behaved like folders in the admin you could duplicate them outside the folders and move them into the appropriate place.

One workaround may be via the google chrome extension that allows you to copy/paste content, you could copy off the site and then paste back in.

Or use the new 'Saved Sections' tool  (coming soon for wide release) which I am trying out right now and while may not copy the full page it's a great feature. 

Reusable sections
Coming soon
Choose a section from one page and reuse it on other pages of your site.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, uarts said:

Can you refer me to the chrome extension that allows copy/paste?

@uarts It is the Tools Extension PRO.

Squarespace 7.1 now has the built-in Saved Sections feature too. When you create a page section layout you want to reuse, hover over the section and click the heart icon to add it to your saved sections. Saving a section creates a "snapshot" of the layout that you can add whenever you want. This is great for websites where you need to reuse a particular layout on multiple pages.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.