Customise charge description passing through to Stripe

Hi, we would like to customise the charge_description passing through to stripe. Currently on successful checkout, the charge_description passing through to stripe is the customer email address (eg.,"Charge for custname@xyz.com") . We would like to customise this description to include the Product Title (eg.,charge for custname@xyz.com for Apple Macbook Air" . How can we do this? Any solution that helps passing along the additional product title through to Stripe would help here. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/28/2020 at 3:24 AM, midwicket said:

We would like to customise the charge_description passing through to stripe.

This isn't possible on Squarespace Commerce. Despite campaigning for a number of years, we are still prevented from touching a number of important features that are connected to the checkout and/or the last steps of the commerce workflow. These areas are handled on the 'backend' of the platform where only Squarespace's own engineers can reach. 

You cannot:

• Amend the transaction between Squarespace and the payment provider
  • Substitute the payment provider for another (eg payment plan, invoice)
  • Add features or logical processing based on addresses (eg delivery/collection)
  • Make meaningful changes to commerce emails based on the order.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

16 hours ago, paul2009 said:

This isn't possible on Squarespace Commerce. Despite campaigning for a number of years, we are still prevented from touching a number of important features that are connected to the checkout and/or the last steps of the commerce workflow. These areas are handled on the 'backend' of the platform where only Squarespace's own engineers can reach. 

You cannot:

• Amend the transaction between Squarespace and the payment provider
  • Substitute the payment provider for another (eg payment plan, invoice)
  • Add features or logical processing based on addresses (eg delivery/collection)
  • Make meaningful changes to commerce emails based on the order.

Paul, I've seen some other posts too that mention feature requests made over time that are still ignored by Squarespace. This is unfortunate. To use some Stripe Radar features , you need to pass through information in the product description. What Squarespace passes through, which is  "Charge for custname@xyz.com" is redundant, as in any case the customer email passes through to Stripe. So technically they are wasting this field which is meant for charge description by passing through the cust email!!!

Archived