How to add a copyright footer in Wells template?

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PoppieSkold said:

I use the personal plan. Why do you ask

The Wells template is the oldest Squarespace template available and it doesn't offer a footer.

Adding a footer will require JavaScript (not CSS) and this is a Premium Feature that cannot be used on Personal Plans.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• Solution

You could add the notice to the end of the left sidebar with some CSS, like this:

wells-css-sidebar.thumb.png.6ff1ef731beff2cf98a052d3ecbb148d.png

This could be achieved by adding the following to Design > Custom CSS. Adjust the position and the font-size to suit:

#headerWrapper:after {
  content: '© Poppie Sköld 2020'!important;
  visibility: visible!important;
  height: 34px!important;
  padding-top: 34px; //adjust position
  font-size: 13px; 
}

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2020 at 8:12 AM, paul2009 said:

You could add the notice to the end of the left sidebar with some CSS, like this:

wells-css-sidebar.thumb.png.6ff1ef731beff2cf98a052d3ecbb148d.png

This could be achieved by adding the following to Design > Custom CSS. Adjust the position and the font-size to suit:

#headerWrapper:after {
  content: '© Poppie Sköld 2020'!important;
  visibility: visible!important;
  height: 34px!important;
  padding-top: 34px; //adjust position
  font-size: 13px; 
}

Hi Paul, 

I've been wondering about the same issue and wonder if a link can be added to the CSS code. Is it possible?

50 minutes ago, crodonline said:

I've been wondering about the same issue and wonder if a link can be added to the CSS code.

CSS cannot be used to add links.

However, you can add a link to the Navigation and then use CSS to reposition/restyle it. 🙂

25 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

CSS cannot be used to add links.

However, you can add a link to the Navigation and then use CSS to reposition/restyle it. 🙂

Thanks! I have one more question: When I do that, would I be able to reposition it at the end of the header like the previous solution?

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, sebastian_woe said:

how would I do this if I had a wells template for a business plan?

Did the CSS not work for you?

• 6 months later...
11 hours ago, chrisbors said:

What position setting did you use to get it to appear at the bottom left. Can you post the code?

The code has already been posted above.

• 3 months later...

Could we do something similar, using the Wells template (which I prefer) that would allocate a small (C) Copyright item in what would typically be the footer area -- which is also clickable and would navigate to a copyright statement. 

I'm guess this may not be possible, unless you create a new page then style it with CSS to keep it invisible from the left navigation, but visible in the footer (which I don't yet know how to do).

41 minutes ago, Gump said:

Could we do something similar, using the Wells template (which I prefer) that would allocate a small (C) Copyright item in what would typically be the footer area -- which is also clickable and would navigate to a copyright statement. 

Yes, if the website is on a business plan or above. You'd need to submit more details, including a working link to the site and a mockup of what you'd like to see.

On 7/12/2021 at 2:17 PM, paul2009 said:

Yes, if the website is on a business plan or above. You'd need to submit more details, including a working link to the site and a mockup of what you'd like to see.

All I require is a smaller Copyright (C) element and a small paragraph statement (ie: when clicked on, etc).  Don't need an external URL for it.  I think everyone should be able to do this, frankly, regardless of plan.

• 5 months later...
Guest JCStudio

Hi, I have a business account and am using Wells, also trying to add a footer for a copyright label that will display at the bottom of all pages. I used the code above for the solution of inserting the label into the bottom of the left-side navigation, however when viewed in mobile mode, it creates a large awkward gap between the top navigation and the copyright label. Are there any codes for creating a regular footer in Wells? Thank you!

5 hours ago, JCStudio said:

Hi, I have a business account and am using Wells, also trying to add a footer for a copyright label that will display at the bottom of all pages. I used the code above for the solution of inserting the label into the bottom of the left-side navigation, however when viewed in mobile mode, it creates a large awkward gap between the top navigation and the copyright label. Are there any codes for creating a regular footer in Wells? Thank you!

Can you share link to your site? We can check problem easier

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

On 1/2/2022 at 2:18 AM, JCStudio said:

This is my site: https://www.jenncacciolastudio.com/

I removed the code so it's not currently displayed in the left sidebar anymore. I manually added it to the bottom of the pages that I could, but it's not possible to add at the bottom of the gallery pages (where I would need it most).

Try adding this to Design > Custom CSS to add to Gallery page

body.collection-type-gallery #thumbnails:after {
    content: "© Jenn Cacciola Studio 2022";
    display: block;
    position: absolute;
    bottom: 0;
}

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 11 months later...

Hello 

I need a little help from you. I am using the Wells template to make a website. I have manually added the copyright notice on each page at the bottom, via a text block. But I could not manually add a text block in the template's in built "Gallery Page" and the "Album Page." These two pages are not letting me add a text block.

I tried using the following code, this code does work on the gallery page in the computer. But it does not reflect on the Mobile Version.

body.collection-type-gallery #thumbnails:after {
    content: "© Jenn Cacciola Studio 2022";
    display: block;
    position: absolute;
    bottom: 0;
}

Would you be able to kindly give me a CSS code which would work on both the Gallery Page and the Album Page, both in computer and mobile version.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by rd23
3 hours ago, rd23 said:

I have manually added the copyright notice on each page at the bottom, via a text block. But I could not manually add a text block in the template's in built "Gallery Page" and the "Album Page." These two pages are not letting me add a text block.

Wells doesn't have a footer section like many of the other templates so getting one going could be a bit tricky.

CSS alone probably won't get you very far because you can't easily express visual complexity as far as text goes. To go farther you'd need to use JavaScript.

You can try one of the following CSS bits to Design > Custom CSS.

#canvas::after {

content : '© Jenn Cacciola Studio 2022';
  display : block;
  font-size : large;
  font-weight : bold;
  text-align : center;
  visibility : unset;

}

#pageWrapper::after {

content : '© Jenn Cacciola Studio 2022';
  font-size : large;
  font-weight : bold;
  text-align : center;
  visibility : unset;

}

Let us know how it goes.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.