Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Site URL: https://www.leahwrobel.com/workshops

Hi everyone, I’m having trouble figuring out this issue on my events page. For some reason, the upcoming events don’t display the “view event” button, but the past events do. I would like for all events, upcoming and past, to display the “view event” button. I’m hoping there’s a quick setting that I’m missing - any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same question. Wondering why a view event button is not included. Seems silly to have to make a link in each event excerpt. Hoping people are savvy enough to click through, but it is nice to have an "action" button.

Edited by DCH
  • Solution
On 12/5/2021 at 7:50 PM, kimberlaiii said:

For some reason, the upcoming events don’t display the “view event” button, but the past events do. I would like for all events, upcoming and past, to display the “view event” button.

I can confirm this is a known issue with Squarespace 7.1 that Squarespace engineers are aware of. The View Event button should appear on both past and upcoming events but this is not currently working correctly.

I described a workaround that you can use to add View Event buttons to upcoming events and published it here:

Let me know if this helps you in the interim.

Update July 2023: "View Event →" buttons are now appearing on Upcoming Events in Squarespace 7.1.

If this post has helped you, please click a 'Like' or 'Thanks' icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009
Feature added July 2023

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 months later...

Site URL: https://starlightstageshows.squarespace.com

The only thing I found searching endlessly on google and this forum was to enable "show expert" and place a button there...  but when I do that the entire event page shows on the Event list page! I just cant believe the 7.1 would get rid of such a crucial element!  I was hoping for a CSS solution or code inject... please tell me it's possible 😳
https://starlightstageshows.squarespace.com
PW: StarlightStage

Event-Button.jpg

Add to Design > Custom CSS

.eventlist-title .eventlist-title-link:after {
    content: "View Event";
    position: absolute;
    bottom: 0;
    left: 50%;
    transform: translateX(-50%);
    background-color: #7fabff;
    color: white;
    font-size: 18px;
    padding-left: 10px;
    padding-right: 10px;
}

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

10 hours ago, kellijayne said:

7.1 Event Page - VIEW EVENT button missing! I just can't believe the 7.1 would get rid of such a crucial element! 

Hi @kellijayne

Yes, this is one of those strange omissions from Squarespace 7.1. For some reason, Squarespace haven't added this option yet.

There are a number of 'workarounds':

• You can add a link manually in the excerpt and style it with CSS (see my previous post. This is necessary when the button will link to an external page. It's a pain because you'll need to add it to each event excerpt manually.
  • You can use a CSS pseudo class (like the one posted above). This isn't what I'd call a 'safe' or professional quality solution because the "button" positioning isn't predictable and may move around depending on the browser's width. You'll also need to style it separately.
  • You can use a JavaScript solution. This will add the buttons and automatically style them to match the other buttons on the site. However, before offering a JS solution, I want to check if the site is on a Business Plan (or above) because as I'm sure you know, Personal Plans don't support JS.

Example:

DvfMsMMIYi.thumb.gif.23923e56fa474e48c6325fe0708432ce.gif

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

10 hours ago, tuanphan said:

Add to Design > Custom CSS

.eventlist-title .eventlist-title-link:after {
    content: "View Event";
    position: absolute;
    bottom: 0;
    left: 50%;
    transform: translateX(-50%);
    background-color: #7fabff;
    color: white;
    font-size: 18px;
    padding-left: 10px;
    padding-right: 10px;
}

THANK YOU SO MUCH tuanphan!!! Works perfectly!

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2022 at 12:02 PM, kirkroberts said:

Same problem on a 7.1 site. Just submitted an email request to Squarespace about it.

It's rather rich that a month later I had to add Custom CSS to hide the View Event button for the past events, while the upcoming events can't have a View Event button.

Edited by kirkroberts

Site URL: https://www.slowmaterial.org/whats-happening

Hello There! I see a thread on this issue from 2020, but the error is still occurring?  You can' t get a VIEW EVENT button to link from your excerpt/calendar landing page to the longer description. Am I missing the solution? Or has SS still not fixed this, so many months later? I have to custom code a button every time I upload an event? Please help!

2 hours ago, Lesley said:

Or has SS still not fixed this, so many months later?

Correct. I proposed a temporary workaround but the issue has not been resolved by Squarespace yet. You can reach out to Customer Care here.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just adding my voice to this thread. I contacted SS support about the lack of a View Event button for upcoming events yesterday, and they got back to me to say:

Hi there, thanks for reaching out! I'd be happy to look into this for you today.

I have checked in on this, and I do see what you're referring to, however we don't currently offer that feature at this time.

I've sent this as a suggestion to our development team on your behalf, and while we can't guarantee implementation of every suggestion, customer feedback is an important part of how we continue to improve our platform, so we appreciate your input.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to reach out again if you have any other questions or need further clarification.

I wrote back:

This doesn't really help at all, sorry...

To which they responded:

I definitely understand the frustration, but want to assure you we’ve reported this to our Engineering team, and they’re currently prioritizing the issue.

For the time being, you may want to consider this workaround:

Add a text or button block to the event description and link it to the event item page. We have a great guide here for adding text links to your page content:

http://support.squarespace.com/hc/articles/206543827

These can be configured to link to either an external site, an email address, a new or existing file, or to another page on your own site. For more details on each link type, visit our basic guide to adding links here:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/articles/206232858

I want to set the expectation that this is an alternative solution you can use temporarily, rather than a permanent fix for the exact issue.

Such clunky and annoying workarounds. They've known about this issue for ages - surely it can't be that difficult to fix? Kinda disappointing.

Meanwhile, I've de-linked my own events page and replaced it with a Summary Block instead. They present better, I think.

Thom

• 2 weeks later...

I chatted with support today to see if I could get a timeline of the fix for the missing Events buttons. 

The rep told me the button is only supposed to appear for paste events. I explained that that makes absolutely no sense, why would users only want to see details for events that have already take place??? So incredibly frustrating!!

Chat Rep: I see what you are experiencing. It's actually expected for the "Learn More" button to only appear for past events.

Upcoming events are not designed to show this button, but as a workaround, you are more than welcome to add information to the excerpt of upcoming events, using the steps here:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206543837-Events-pages#toc-edit-event-settings