customer shipping option display

Hello,

Is there any way to reorder customer shipping options in a specific way that is not related to cost?

We started offering free pick-up at our physical business in the wake of reopening, but because our only other shipping option is tied to free shipping over $25, it lists the free pick-up options ahead of what we would consider our default method. Because we are a small business and not all customers are local, this is creating issues with customers not paying attention during check-out and selecting pick-up accidentally (we then of course have to create an additional level of communication with the customer now to confirm).

Fairly confident that if the top or default ship method was listed first, this would not be an issue. Any feedback would help! Thanks.

Edited by tmartin
  • 1 month later...

Just belatedly seeing this post - could it be of any help to only allow in-store pickup to local buyers? You can determine in each shipping method who it's offered to, so you could only offer that one to folks in your state, or to certain zip codes in your state, and then it would at least stop offering local pickup to anyone far away. It won't help with offering the free options first for your local buyers who want you to ship it (I'm still waiting for that fix too), but it's a start.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this suits anybody else, but this is how I got around it. It aint pretty - in fact it only works because we have a limited number of regular customers that pick up so they don't mind having to add the extra product.

We offer free delivery on orders of £25 and over. As SquareSpace doesn't cope well with this, we put the weight of our product to be equal to the price. This works for us because we don't need the weight for other purposes and if we did we'd handle it separately. By matching the weight to price if somebody buys £25 worth of goods they also buy 25kg of goods and free delivery kicks in.

To make pick up work I added a product called "Local Collection".  This products is £0.00 and weighs 25kg. The customer who picks up their goods adds this item to their cart. They can now spend £10 but their goods will weigh over 25kg.

As I said, it is clunky. It works for us, but it depends on your business model to a large extent. I've requested SquareSpace sort this issue. If they don't I will look at other providers in the future because this weakness in their system reflects an unwillingness to meet customer needs.

• 10 months later...

Yes, it is an issue.  I just added in state shipping and it automatically goes to the bottom of the shipping options  list. Most orders are free pickup and are listed first. I have signs everywhere to select the in state shipping option but many assume since they selected shippable products the in state shipping option is automatic. 

I end up creating a discount code so they can place the order again and only be charged the shipping fee. It seems nobody reads so I  would probably end up refunding shipping fees if it was at the top. A way to associate certain products with a shipping option would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...

There's now a specific store pickup option, so you don't need to add a delivery option called pickup. Pickup options aren't selected by default, so you won't face the issue of a user accidentally defaulting to the free pickup option.

pickup-option.gif.2dbb4779b3250bfbe6cfec512f76f6c8.gif

For more information, see: Local pickup.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, StellaB said:

How does one get the sales tax to calculate correctly to the pickup address tax rate?

The pickup feature has only recently been added, and separate tax arrangements have yet to be added. Tax is currently calculated according to the customer's address.

If this is a problem for your store (your pickup location is not in the same town/city as where customers live) then you can raise a feature request by contacting Customer Care.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

I have contacted SQSP several times and their last suggestion was to refund the customer for the difference in sales tax charged.  This was an absolutely stupid and short-sided suggestion as my warehouse tax rate is higher so I would have to eat the difference.  How can I get this corrected?