Full width image block

Hey! I changed it to a full gallery slideshow. It's the first picture on my home page. It's not responsive on all devices. It looks small like I want on a mobile device, but on an iPad and web screen its still to big. I used this code to adjust its size on mobile devices (portrait view):

@media screen and (max-width: 757px) {
.gallery-fullscreen-slideshow[data-width="full-bleed"] {
    height: 27vh !important;
}
}

I would like to change it to an image block and make it full width, but I want it to be responsive on all devices regardless of its screen size or the way you turn the device. Is this possible? 

1 hour ago, Dee12 said:

Hey! I changed it to a full gallery slideshow. It's the first picture on my home page. It's not responsive on all devices. It looks small like I want on a mobile device, but on an iPad and web screen its still to big. I used this code to adjust its size on mobile devices (portrait view):

@media screen and (max-width: 757px) {
}
}

I would like to change it to an image block and make it full width, but I want it to be responsive on all devices regardless of its screen size or the way you turn the device. Is this possible? 

use this code for mobile + tablet

@media screen and (max-width: 767px) {
}
}
@media screen and (min-width:768px) and (max-width:991px) {
    height: 35vh !important;
}
}

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

I changed it back to an image block because the full gallery slideshow was too much of a hassle to adjust to all screens. Could you help me make the image block full width please? It's the first picture on my homepage.

I figured it out finally! The code I used:

#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1589941659268_22096.sqs-block.image-block {
    padding: 0px ! important;
  margin-top: -6.7% !important;
  margin-left: -3% !important;
  margin-right: -3% !important;
}

• 1 year later...

Hi Dee12,

Wanted to share some tips since I've helped thousands of users with this exact problem.

I've also written a blog post 5 Ways to make full-width blocks in Squarespace. I'll try to update that. I'm now investigating a new method which I haven't fully gotten to work. 

Here is the code.

#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1640294879004_4287{
  width: 100vw ;
  position: relative ;
  left: ~"calc(-50vw + 50% - .0vw - 17px)";
  // en ymmärrä. content wrapperis pitäs olla 6vw mut 0 toimii... 🤷‍♂️
}

@media only screen and (min-width:768px) and (max-width:1276px){
  #block-yui_3_17_2_1_1640294879004_4287{
    width: 100vw !important;
    position: relative !important;
    left: ~"calc(-50vw + 50% - 3.0vw - 17px)" !important;
    //moving 50% of parent container = left edge is in the middle of the browser
    //-50vw takes element's 'left edge from middle of browser to left edge of browser
    //- 3.0vw is the .content-wrappers default padding-left we gotta take into account
    //17px is the SQSP default block padding/margin
  }
}

There are some screen widths where it does not yet work. At least wider than 1276px but narrower than something. I'll let you know if I make more progress. I'm worried that changes to templates might break this easily so the other methods, javascript calculations or full-width section are definitely more reliable and less likely to break in the future.

Little self-promotion: I've also coded a Squarespace Full-Width Blocks Plugin. If you're willing to pay a bit, that's the easiest route for Squarespace 7.0. 

For 7.1 The currently best method is done with these steps

The Squarespace 7.1 method works like this

1. Create a section for the full-width content. So you'll create a section just for the full-width image, video, whatever.
2. Check the section data-ID. You can use the Squarespace ID Finder Chrome Extension to find that.
3. Use CSS to remove the horizontal padding of that section and it's .content-wrapper element
4. remove the block paddings  with [class*=sqs-col] .sqs-block inside your full-width section
5. The .sqs-row has a negative 17 px margin. Use CSS to set the margin to 0 or the block will be wider than the screen. We want full-width, not wider than full-width 🙂
6. Image blocks for example have a 2500px max-width in an element with .intrinsic -CSS class. Use CSS unset for that.
7. Also remove the vertical padding in the section and the content-wrapper

This video is for my plugin but shows how it works:

My full-width plugin will also include the 7.1 full-width code

Edited by codeandtonic
links

Freelance Squarespace developer making plugins like Full-Width Blocks, Hover effects for grid gallery and the Darkmode plugin. I know Squarespace inside out and I'm able to solve pretty much any Squarespace code problem.

Get in touch here!