Site not appearing on Google searches

Site URL: https://studioizzy.co.uk

Hi, hope somebody could kindly help out with my fairly new, month old site. It is not appearing in any google searches. I've followed square space guides and when I perform basic test site:studioizzy.co.uk  error message appears to say search did not match any documents. I then went off to verify my site with Google console (about 2 weeks ago) and still nothing. I've also tried to get Google to index my site, but am not sure if I've managed to do that, because when I click on url inspection of my site, screen gets a transparent grey blanket over it. 

Am feeling really demoralised and lost for though as to how to resolve this issue. Any help or advice would be highly appreciated.

• Replies 5
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. I have contacted Squarespace to enquire if this is still the case, i.e. if Homepage is set as Index Page it's by default set as 'NOINDEX'.

In the meantime I've run the robots.txt tester tool (by clicking on one of the above links) for my website and the result was ALLOWED. I'm guessing that the result is saying that Googlebot can crawl my site and therefore can index it?! Sorry, this is all above my comprehension and pure guess work.

If I was to search my site to find out if my Homepage has 'NOINDEX' as a default, where would I find this robots.txt file?

I am also not too sure what the SDAgency solution? Are they saying that they've created new Homepage using Index Page and subpages (in which case what is the difference from their original Homepage setup) or have they created new Homepage using Standard page?

My current Homepage is set as Index (Home) and subpages are Home, Statement, Collection of work, etc.

Sorry to bother you again, just trying to get my head around this.

Many thanks,

Hi StudioIzzy,

Hope you are doing well. I think if that's case the case, you must see on Google Search Console. If you will connect your squarespace website with Google search console it can show you the exact problem, or if the website is being indexed in Google or not. 

Thanks

@StudioIzzy NOINDEX is now gone. I saw a couple of pages appear in Google search as .... (new index) , now i cannot replicate the search return? Your <head> <style> seems unusual leading with CSS styling. I'm not sure how you coded the site and/or template. I think the best option is the earlier reference to recreate your home page assuming that reference correlates to your issue.  

Update: Looks like the problem is with your home page <head>. Google is indexing Contact - About- New Index (Work) pages.  Not your Homepage. 

mcgouran.john@gmail.com

Hi John,

Thank you very much for your time and patience with me, yes you are right my Contact and About page appearing in Google searches, these are  set up as Layout pages. My Homepage and Work page (set as Index pages) do not appear in searches, which makes me think that there is an issue with Index Pages and Google indexing them.

I've been in touch with Squarespace support, who are saying that my Homepage Index Page is set up as priority 1 for Google to search/index it and they are not aware of any issues regarding NOINDEX for homepages set as index pages. Apparently I should wait for a bit longer for Google to search my homepage.

I will wait for a bit and if the problem is still there I might do what was suggested above and see if that brings my Homepage to life!

No idea what I did with my Homepage head, I do recall tinkering with header to make it smaller, maybe I should look into that.

Thank you for all your help and if you'd like I can post back in here what happened in the end. Many thanks

Archived