"Unable to locate content" when I'm trying to upload video from Youtube

Do you  get this error when you try to embed a Youtube video URL on your site? You cannot upload a video, Squarespace does not host video files on their servers. If you are trying to embed, don't use the embed code, use the video URL that comes up in the browser bar when you view it or when you right click on the video it says copy url, use that instead.   

Edited by derricksrandomviews

having a similar problem.  My YouTube URL isn't been accepted, that is, I enter it and nothing happens.  Older videos are where they should be and "play."  However, URLs are not accepted in new video blocks on any of our website pages.  Can we keep each other posted on any fixes, please?

I have messaged Squarespace about this but apparently their online help is closed Fri-Sat-Sun.  Maybe we can help each other out???

Thanks very much.

- Paul

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by polson
Added image.

Worked fine at 10: 30 pm edt. with 7.1

Definitely a problem with 7.0. I could not connect a url from you tube, and a video that is already linked played but in edit mode said that content could not be located. Customer support will need to work on this for sure. I suspect You tube has made some kind of change.   

Update, I could embed youtube in a 7.0  gallery block, any layout, blog post, and video block on a page. I could not embed on a gallery page, the config panel was not the same as when embedding other places, and it could not find the content no matter how I tried to post it. I no longer think this is a youtube issue, but a Squarespace config issue with gallery pages and video linking. 

I tested using Avenue. If you are using 7.0 and need to embed youtube, use the browser bar url address and embed it in the url field of a video block on a page, or video block in a blog post, do not use the embed code. You then can place that page in an index or on the nav bar by itself.

Should work, even in a gallery block, but as I found out, will not work in a gallery page. Important note, don't make any changes to videos already in a gallery page, you could lose the content, and end up with an empty image block with a forward slash in it: /

8 hours ago, derricksrandomviews said:

Update, I could embed youtube in a 7.0  gallery block, any layout, blog post, and video block on a page. I could not embed on a gallery page, the config panel was not the same as when embedding other places, and it could not find the content no matter how I tried to post it. I no longer think this is a youtube issue, but a Squarespace config issue with gallery pages and video linking. 

I tested using Avenue. If you are using 7.0 and need to embed youtube, use the browser bar url address and embed it in the url field of a video block on a page, or video block in a blog post, do not use the embed code. You then can place that page in an index or on the nav bar by itself.

Should work, even in a gallery block, but as I found out, will not work in a gallery page. Important note, don't make any changes to videos already in a gallery page, you could lose the content, and end up with an empty image block with a forward slash in it: /

1.)  I am not trying to embed, just simply paste in a YouTube URL as I have done many times before and as is shown on the .jpg images I included in my post of last night.  I have tried both the shorter YouTube URL and the longer URL that appears in the video's longer YouTube browser bar URL.

2.)  I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you mean by 7.0 and 7.1 and Avenue.  I'm just a volunteer who helps with our church's website and not deeply knowledgeable about Squarespace.  I simply want to have the pasted-in Video URL work as before.

3.)  You are right, last night I discovered that tinkering with previously inserted videos elsewhere on various pages can leave an empty video block.  That threw me into a small panic.  Pasting in YouTube URLs as usual does not work on any of our website pages that I tested, so it's not a problem unique to just a couple pages.

Thanks for your assistance.  A zillion people must be having this problem if it is system-wide for Squarespace.  Fortunately our parishioners will be able to watch this week's worship service directly from our YouTube channel or through Facebook even if Squarespace is failing us now.

Edited by polson
Some typos.

The word embed is a bit generic here, there is the you tube embed code and there is an "embedable" url, which can be the same one in a browser bar when watching the video. Like yourself, that is the one I always use. I have never  been successful using the embed code, which is supposed to provide auto start, pre-set resolution, things like that.  The SS interface usually has one field and you can paste either of the above into it, but now when I go to a 7.0 gallery page there are two fields, and neither will work. 

7.0 and 7.1 are the two SS website platforms that folks build on. Avenue is a 7.0 template that I use with my own site as well as others. 

Hopefully this issue will be fixed soon, before next Sunday.