A Call For Everyone to Complain to Squarespace

Why are normal and basic e-commerce store features missing? (The elephant in the room?)

Here's a list of complaints I have. My basic question is why isn't Squarespace trying to offer features to seriously compete with Shopify and others to expand their business?

Why are the following missing?

1. There's no option to sort/filter products by tags, availabilty, sales, color, or anything else. 
  2. There's no built in option for product reviews. You can't expect everyone to figure out coding and troubleshooting every single time they want a basic, ubiquitous store feature.
  3. There's no ability to add all products to a single page.
  4. Likewise, there's no ability to add all sale products on a single page to show a "clearance" section.
  5. There's a limit to adding more than 200 products on a single collection, meaning you have to make new collections for each category. Why jump through hoops to invest in expanding your product offerings? Why not just a single collection like any normal store???
  6. There's a consistent value for design in Squarespace which is what attracts any sensible person, but why are there consistent shoddy designs??? A built-in inability redesign the Search page, the Checkout page, the account page, the login page, etc etc. 
  7. Why are functionality updates not easy? Why the crazy hassle to go from 7.0 to 7.1? Why can't I easily get new features and be confident for my business investments?
  8. Why do popular features have to disappear when there is an update even then? For example, parallax is gone with the update.
  9. Other normal store features that should be standard to ease merchant usage are missing also. Product color to image linking, liking products.
  10. Why is the functionality of different themes restricted instead of simply design? I'm reading 7.1 fixed this, but the point still stands. Why not just have a simple flexible design language where everyone can have every feature and not have to go through the hours of work required to apply new themes
  11. Why all the rigidity?? Why can't I edit a gallery's transition settings when directly in an index, but only in a gallery block?
  12. Why no limit on how many product's per page?? Isn't that normal?
  13. Why is there no built in return/exchange mechanism? Why do you make us pay for basic store features???
  14. Why is Shopify automating basic calculations like adding statebystate tax information, and you guys are making us do it manually or pay for it? This is crazy.
  15. Also why not integrate live shipping costs from different shipping services by weight, etc. Why do these basic basic features need to be such a hassle.
  16. Why no drop shipping integrations?? Is that like a crazy thing to ask for? Why no integrations to Printful competitors.
  17. Please start investing more in your ecommerce side. Integrations are lacking, features are lacking, 

Please compete with shopify. You guys are just ASKING us to migrate elsewhere. Its constantly frustrating to encounter squarespace limitations and dragging, cloggy updates. I'm sure there's many more basic features that are missing. These are just the ones I've been facing.

• Replies 7
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

100 % agree. I'm currently in the process of deciding on a commerce option for my Squarespace site but these limitations even make me move my regular site away from Squarespace. Because of 7.1 I would need to redo my whole page anyways so this seems like the perfect time to leave Squarespace altogether.

Add point 18:

No upsell/cross sell option.

Is it too much to ask. It's been years since the ecommerce feature launched.

Agree too. There is no shipping module to ship from Squarespace, no notifications on back end of orders come in, no price show options, FB integration is a crap, I need to redo all items in FB for it to work, no modifications possible on checkout page, not even order of checkout steps. Everywhere I turn, there is something wrong and for me, without coding skills, its few hours of research and frustration and yet, bumping into "pay more". I'm seriously tired of it. I'm ready to scrap it all and start somewhere else.

Yes, I agree. Squarespace should really just copy Shopify's entire e-commerce back-end functionalities and fulfilment process. Also, allowing us to capture manual payment (for bank transfer payment options).

For category and tag filters and a workaround for having more than 200 products in one product page, I recommend Michael's solution. Check out his plugin at https://www.squarewebsites.org/products/universal-filter . He has done a wonderful job for my site. I have 866 products on a page. https://www.skp.com.sg/food-packaging-all

What's most perplexing is that you can tell that Squarespace employs very capable programmers and very talented designers. But, there's yet to be feature parity with the competition when it comes to the commerce system. They are releasing features years after the competition and regarding 7.1, the more I use it, the more it feels like a giant step backwards. I'm not sure about my future with this company after many years of hosting dozens of (concurrent) websites including my main "Commerce Advance" site. Just feels like I'm always fighting their systems with custom css and js just to get it to behave like a Shopify site from 2010. 

• Can't break a sale into payments (AfterPay-esk)
  • Variants are insane. Totally unscalable. I can see having about 20k SKU soon. I have no idea how many decades that will take to add
  • Can't add shipping complications/logic: My several-thousand-dollar items cost $300 to crate but can hold up to 4 items at $100 per item extra. There's no way for me to charge my customers correctly. IE: 1 product = $300 shipping, 2 products = $400 shipping ... As is I have to pad the product +$300 and refund/coupon the price back down to the correct shipping. umm UNPRO
  • Can't do sales with logic. Buy 2 get $100 off? forget about it

@ourikhlaas

You can search on tags/category if you use the tag cloud. I also used JS to extract the product tags/categories to display hyperlinked on the product page. You can have the system change the variant to the color selected in the variant dropdown. It's clunky but it does work

Archived