Impossible to link PayPal to my squarespace

Site URL: http://www.adhdsat.com

Hullo! I'm trying to connect PayPal to one of my Squarespace sites. IT IS NOT WORKING.

What's happening:

1. I'm clicking Commerce
  2. I'm clicking Payments
  3. I'm clicking Connect PayPal
  4. I'm typing in my PayPal login info
  5. I'm seeing "You've successfully authorized Squarespace!"
  6. I'm getting a choice — "Go back to Squarespace" or "Continue to PayPal setup"
  7. Regardless of which I choose, when I eventually go back to Squarespace, I'm seeing "the rotating circle of death" over where it used to say "Connect PayPal" (image attached)
  8. I'm waiting for minutes; it's not going away
  9. I'm clicking the "back" button on Squarespace, to go back to the "Commerce" menu
  10. I'm clicking "Payments" again, to see if this stuck!
  11. I'm discovering it has not: it says "Connect PayPal" as if I had not just done that

Repeat, repeat, repeat. No change.

The funny thing is, this same problem occurred before, with the same PayPal account, and a different website. We tried it for DAYS, before it randomly worked. 

I'd love it if, this time, we could just get it to work!

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

- brandon 

rotating circle of death.jpeg

Run a test-prep company, and a group where little kids get together to make brunch and talk philosophy. Starting a school.

• 3 weeks later...

I also have this issue, but when clicking "Go back to Squarespace", the page then goes blank and refreshing it leads to an error page, and after going back to Squarespace login the PayPal is still not connected.  Super frustrating! Can we please get some help here!

While I never had any luck getting help from Squarespace or PayPal, I figured out a solution! The PayPal account that you're syncing to needs to be linked to a credit card or debit card and if there isn't one linked, it likely won't prompt you to fill in that information. When I went in and manually set up the card in PayPal and then went back to reconnect, it finally worked! I'm surprised how difficult it was to figure out this simple step, but I've been able to successfully sync 3 clients to their PayPal with this method. Hope this helps!

• 11 months later...
On 6/8/2020 at 8:45 AM, rotanzdesign said:

While I never had any luck getting help from Squarespace or PayPal, I figured out a solution! The PayPal account that you're syncing to needs to be linked to a credit card or debit card and if there isn't one linked, it likely won't prompt you to fill in that information. When I went in and manually set up the card in PayPal and then went back to reconnect, it finally worked! I'm surprised how difficult it was to figure out this simple step, but I've been able to successfully sync 3 clients to their PayPal with this method. Hope this helps!

Thank you! I had the same issue and this worked for me

• 5 months later...
On 6/8/2020 at 11:45 AM, rotanzdesign said:

worked for me too!  i guess maybe makes sense bec you have to authorize paypal to send money out of your account for fees, but also would be nice to have a useful error message instead of a useless success message.  thank you for figuring this out!

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

I am web designer, been working on and with squarespace for the last 5 years ....

For some reason, I have been unable to link my PayPal to the squarespace site I am working on.

Stripe works, Godaddy works, but I can't seem to troubleshoot the specific issue that prevents the linking with PayPal to happen.

I have added and granted the API permission - all the business account information is filled out and approved by Paypal - they are no limitations on the account PayPal side. Paypal says to contact SQS and SQS tells me to contact Paypal....

I can't seem to do the last step the sqs guide provides which is to login in with the merchant id.

Please, can anyone help ? I am at my wit's end and I have been trying for weeks now to no avail .....

Thank you,

Amanda

On 1/4/2022 at 12:43 PM, Amanda_ said:

I have been unable to link my PayPal to the squarespace site I am working on. Paypal says to contact SQS and SQS tells me to contact Paypal....

Hi Amanda

Take a look at your PayPal account and check that it has been linked to a payment card. If there isn't one linked, add one and try again.

If you have enabled two-factor verification on PayPal, disable it before you try to connect (you can enable it again later).

If you experience further difficulties, close any private/incognito browser windows that you have open, and then open a new incognito window, login to Squarespace and attempt the connection between PayPal and Squarespace again. You should be prompted for the PayPal login information again, making it easier to highlight any connection issues.

Let us know how you get on.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hi ! Thank you so much for getting back to me. 
No credit card is linked - only a bank account. Is a credit card a necessary requirement ? 

Also, would you be available for a quick call at your convenience? Need some extra help tweaking a few additional things on my e-commerce.

12 minutes ago, Amanda_ said:

No credit card is linked - only a bank account. Is a credit card a necessary requirement?

Although it won't prompt you with an error if no card is connected, in my experience it wont connect successfully without one.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

On 1/5/2022 at 2:02 PM, Amanda_ said:

I can't seem to do the last step the sqs guide provides which is to login in with the merchant id.

It may help if you provide us with a screenshot of the issue you are seeing so that we can see the context but, if this is a Squarespace or PayPal issue, it's unlikely that the community will be able to resolve this for you. That said, I appreciate how difficult it can be when you're passed between providers. 

If it is of any help, I've connected a PayPal account to Squarespace today without issues, so there isn't a generic Squarespace/PayPal issue today that is preventing PayPal from connecting. Therefore, assuming the site is on a Business or Commerce plan, my best guess is that this is an issue with your browser/OS or with the PayPal account. 

Some things to check...

• Check you are using the latest version of your browser (What is my browser?)
  • Disable any browser tools or extensions that you are using. These may block the essential popups that are part of the connection process.
  • Close your browser completely (closing all browser windows).
  • Open an incognito or private browser window and use this instead of a normal window.
  • If none of the above helps, try an alternative browser to see if the result is the same. Check that the alternative browser is also the latest version available.

If you've exhausted these, I recommend you contact Squarespace. Let us know how you get on.

Edited by paul2009
edited for clarity

Thank so much for getting back to me. I really appreciate your time and help.

I have successfully linked a credit card, however no success in linking.
I have contacted Paypal- they prompted me to contact squarespace - I have contacted sqs but no news from them yet. I have disabled all ad blockers, I have the latest browser updates and tried both safari and Chrome, private browsing as well. I also had help from a sqs expert who took a look and told me he could not figure it out.

I do not get an error message, I simply log in to the PayPal account via the pop up window and the account connects, I can browse it and can access all features etc ... just no connecting to sqs happens. 

The process of connecting PayPal to Squarespace should look something like the sequence below. I've provided this because it may be helpful in understanding where the process breaks down - usually in step 4!. Screenshots like this used to appear in Squarespace support articles but they have been gradually removing them.

1. You click CONNECT.

paypal-uk1.thumb.png.8b5074bb3c9b9bd2e4ff5507a2a78bf5.png

2. You are prompted to provide the email address of your PayPal business account.

paypal-uk2.thumb.png.9d116183d56c5cb18a020f8e0a5879f2.png

3. You are prompted to log in to your PayPal account.

paypal-uk3.thumb.jpg.8fb831469f5a8baa643d73fc8acb180b.jpg

4. You see a success message. Ignore it! You haven't finished. Click Go Back to Squarespace because if you click anything else, it will fail.

paypal-uk4.thumb.png.141c571f27cc78501ea69efe975ba234.png

5. Squarespace ask you to agree to transaction fees.

paypal-uk5.png.946675ba0be666182801f69d1a5e096f.png

6. You must log in to PayPal again.

paypal-uk6.thumb.jpg.6e744d4b62227f21b988e642b08c2e11.jpg

7. You are shown your alternative payment method and are asked to agree to the terms and conditions.

paypal-uk7.thumb.jpg.9d8b2ea24e8ee65d8ee79916ad14cba7.jpg

8. When you click Agree and Pay, the process should complete successfully.

We like to know if our posts help. If it has, please click a 'Like' or 'Thanks' icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

Your screenshot shows that you are being logged in to PayPal - it is not attempting to connect Squarespace to it. I don't have access to your diagnostics but the screenshot makes it look like a Squarespace/PayPal connector issue. Time will tell.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 6/8/2020 at 10:45 AM, rotanzdesign said:

That did the trick! Thank you so much @rotanzdesign.

And thank you @brandonhendrickson for posting this!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just wanted to provide an update to this thread. I am currently working with a non-profit who did not have a debit card and no one wanted to provide a personal debit card. So I figured out a work-around. I logged into their PayPal account (with permission of course) and applied for the PayPal business/ debit card.  I tried connecting again and it worked! No need to wait for the card to arrive, I guess you just need some kind of card on file, even if it's the PayPal card itself. Hope this helps someone else!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

For the past week I've been trying to connect my Paypal to my site and it's just not connecting.

When I follow the steps this is what I seepaypal-uk4.thumb.png.141c571f27cc78501ea69efe975ba234.png.bc5047150484a0e844502b9538ffbc70.png

The first pop up window concludes with thispaypal-uk5.png.946675ba0be666182801f69d1a5e096f.png.95dcff74d941b91e62747f097c2b4f2f.png

then I see this, after clicking Agree and Continue, I'm lead to page that basically says no need to reenter password etc because my device is recognised and it goes through a couple approvals and directs me back to the Commerce page I started with where the button still says [Connect] for the Paypal option. 

On the otherside of the fence my Paypal account does show Squarespace registered as a third party. 

I tried doing this process in an incognito window and I get a prompt saying that my account is limited and to check my overview page on Paypal. I did and all of my fields are filled out appropriately. If someone can provide info in the event that my fields aren't correct that will be greatly apprecitated as well.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

If you have tried the troubleshooting steps mentioned above then I recommend that you get in touch with Squarespace Customer Care