Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search

Indexing website on Google - 401 Error

Site URL: http://www.thebluestreams.com

Hi, 

I have been trying to index my website on Google. I have registered with Google Analytics and Google Search Console, and I have also requested for the site to be indexed. 

However, when I try to do a URL inspection, I get a 401 error (Failed: Blocked due to unauthorised request). How can I fix this? 

Thank you in advance! 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I scanned your site with another SEO tool that I use. It emulates Googlebot as much as possible and it didn't return any 401 errors. It did get 404 errors on the blog and podcast links in the footer. 

I've seen so many tools trigger false positives on different things. I've not seen Squarespace servers blocking scans before but it's possible they were for a particular reason. 

Are you still seeing the same issue?

• 8 months later...

Site Url: https://www.nmeplastic.com/

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem as jagapitos above. 

'I have been trying to index my website on Google. I have registered with Google Analytics and Google Search Console, and I have also requested for the site to be indexed. 

However, when I try to do a URL inspection, I get a 401 error (Failed: Blocked due to unauthorised request). How can I fix this? '

Is this just because I need to let more time pass?

Hope someone can help and thanks in advance!

These errors can be caused by servers or the tools timing out. So if your page loads slowly then you are more likely to hit one of these with an online checker.

I suggest you download screaming frog, set a high timeout on the crawler and then see what a software based approach pulls back.

We provide digital marketing services for businesses that need exposure/sales from search and social media networks. We also build incredibly fast and well optimised multi-language Square Space websites.
Digital Marketing | Marketing Digitale

Thanks for getting back so quickly!

Unfortunately I can only set a high timeout for the crawler if I have a license but that costs £149 - money I do not have.

Screaming frog does say the address is non - indexable and its status is 'moved permanently' code:301

Is there another way of solving this?

OK Update: The error has changed to:

URL is not on google: indexing errors

Failed: Redirect error

After doing a lighthouse audit I think I just need to improve the performance of my URL which is currently at 30%. I'm resizing images and changing my SSL to HSTS secure so hopefully that will help.

If anyone has any other tips on how I could increase my 30% performance score that would be very helpful?

Thanks!