Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search

Product Tax

Site URL: http://bayfieldberryfarm.on.ca

Hello, after talking to customer support they directed me to here.

Our business sells two kinds of product one that is a no tax item (food) and others that are taxes (liquor). There is no way in their system to make this happen. They suggested maybe seeing if someone has a way to customize it so that it does? Anyone can help out?

Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Site URL: http://bayfieldberryfarm.on.ca Hello, after talking to customer support they directed me to here. Our business sells two kinds of product one that is a no tax item (food) and others t

If you want to use the Squarespace commerce features, the only workaround is to add the 0% items as services instead of physical products. This is because there's an option to set VAT at 0% on service

Squarespace have already publicly stated that they plan to support product categories that have special tax rates "in the near future".

Posted Images

If you want to use the Squarespace commerce features, the only workaround is to add the 0% items as services instead of physical products. This is because there's an option to set VAT at 0% on services. For example, here's a screenshot of the checkout with two products, one configured as a physical product and the other (the coffee) set up as a service product with no VAT.

tax-options.png.12dc916bfb58fffe027f5ba6229452de.png               checkout-with-different-vat.png.6aa54053dba6382f0410e37aa3178d70.png

As with everything, there's a downside to this. Real service products don't require physical delivery, so the checkout won't prompt for shipping information unless there's a physical product in the cart too.

There are no other workarounds (even with code or addons) to amend the way Squarespace commerce deals with VAT. This is because VAT is handled on the backend of Squarespace - the part that only Squarespace themselves have access to. To charge different rates of VAT per product, you'll need to use another platform for the checkout (such as Shopify buttons), or switch entirely to another platform.

sf-digital-signature-logo-email145.png.46606a2288a2847f44d81b9b7b58f3a5.png
Hi, I'm Paul, founder of SF Digitalbuilding the features that Squarespace didn't include. Pick dates in any format, show prices in other currencies, take orders without payment or improve your cartI value honesty, integrity, transparency and respect. Links in my posts may refer to SF Digital products or may be affiliate links.  Squarespace. I've been a loyal supporter of the platform since 2007. 

• 5 months later...
On 5/12/2020 at 4:26 PM, BayfieldBerryFarm said:

Site URL: http://bayfieldberryfarm.on.ca

Hello, after talking to customer support they directed me to here.

Our business sells two kinds of product one that is a no tax item (food) and others that are taxes (liquor). There is no way in their system to make this happen. They suggested maybe seeing if someone has a way to customize it so that it does? Anyone can help out?

Thanks

I've got the same issue with my site/store.  I've contacted Squarespace on a chat and they've raised a feature request with their product and development teams.  But the more people that ask for it the more likely it'll end up happening so it might be worth raising one as well. 

• 4 months later...

Hi there,

Unfortunately Paul2009 that doesn't work. There is no option to set up tax rules by products. That's the reply I got from Square Space Customer Care

Tax rules are set up by location, not by product type. It is not possible to set up tax rules for just service products or just physical products.
Since we don't currently offer the feature of product specific taxes, I'd be happy to suggest it to our development team on your behalf. While we can't guarantee implementation of every suggestion, customer feedback is an important part of how we continue to improve our platform, so we appreciate your input. 
A
7 minutes ago, TheArtandDesignGroup said:

Unfortunately Paul2009 that doesn't work.

Can you explain what you are trying to achieve, and what doesn't work?

Hi, I'm Paul, founder of SF Digitalbuilding the features that Squarespace didn't include. Pick dates in any format, show prices in other currencies, take orders without payment or improve your cartI value honesty, integrity, transparency and respect. Links in my posts may refer to SF Digital products or may be affiliate links.  Squarespace. I've been a loyal supporter of the platform since 2007. 

Everyone needs to request tax specific items from Squarespace. IE, no tax, GST, or GST/PST (HST). I just spoke with them and it's not going to happen unless they are bombarded with requests.

37 minutes ago, PineHeart said:

Everyone needs to request tax specific items from Squarespace.

Squarespace have already publicly stated that they plan to support product categories that have special tax rates "in the near future".

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 8:04 PM, paul2009 said:

Hi @paul2009,

Just wondering where you heard/read this as I've just been in touch with Squarespace's customer service to ask if they had an update and they said they had no knowledge of any impending changes to the Tax/VAT settings.

738884365_Screenshot2021-04-06at18_00_29.thumb.png.22f05c1ee656a19e6e20b238f4d67db9.png

I'm hoping that the customer service rep just had the wrong info....

Edited by CocoaCollective
  • 1 month later...

Let's keep bombarding them with emails about this- it's a big error for Squarespace not to allow users to set VAT rates per product, and I really don't see why it should be particularly difficult.