Product Tax

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: http://bayfieldberryfarm.on.ca

Hello, after talking to customer support they directed me to here.

Our business sells two kinds of product one that is a no tax item (food) and others that are taxes (liquor). There is no way in their system to make this happen. They suggested maybe seeing if someone has a way to customize it so that it does? Anyone can help out?

Thanks

• Solution

Products cannot be zero-rated or have different VAT rates

There are no useful workarounds for this issue at this time. Squarespace does not support zero-rated VAT for physical products. 

In 2021, Squarespace publicly stated that they plan to "support special tax rates in the near future", but there has been no news since then.

I’m a strong advocate for Squarespace and have been campaigning for variable VAT rates on Squarespace since 2018. You can read more about this in my Commerce Limitations guide.

There are no code workarounds

Unfortunately, code and third party products cannot change the way Squarespace commerce deals with VAT/sales tax because it is handled on the backend of Squarespace - the part that only Squarespace's own engineers have access to. 

Other commerce options

If you need to charge different rates of VAT per product, or have zero-rated, tax-exempt products you will need to use another platform (like Shopify), or use "buy buttons" from another platform so that you can process sales through a different checkout that isn't on Squarespace. For example, using Shopify buttons or Ecwid (see the linked guides for details of how this works).

Zero-rated services are supported

It is important to note that there is a solution for zero-rated services because there's an option to set VAT at 0% on services. 

tax-options.png.12dc916bfb58fffe027f5ba6229452de.png               

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009
edited for clarity

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 5 months later...
On 5/12/2020 at 4:26 PM, BayfieldBerryFarm said:

Site URL: http://bayfieldberryfarm.on.ca

Hello, after talking to customer support they directed me to here.

Our business sells two kinds of product one that is a no tax item (food) and others that are taxes (liquor). There is no way in their system to make this happen. They suggested maybe seeing if someone has a way to customize it so that it does? Anyone can help out?

Thanks

I've got the same issue with my site/store.  I've contacted Squarespace on a chat and they've raised a feature request with their product and development teams.  But the more people that ask for it the more likely it'll end up happening so it might be worth raising one as well. 

• 4 months later...
On 3/12/2021 at 7:25 PM, PineHeart said:

Everyone needs to request tax specific items from Squarespace.

Squarespace have publicly stated that they plan to support product categories that have special tax rates "in the near future" but, as priorities can change at any time, it's difficult to know when this may be.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 8:04 PM, paul2009 said:

Squarespace have already publicly stated that they plan to support product categories that have special tax rates "in the near future".

Hi @paul2009,

Just wondering where you heard/read this as I've just been in touch with Squarespace's customer service to ask if they had an update and they said they had no knowledge of any impending changes to the Tax/VAT settings.

738884365_Screenshot2021-04-06at18_00_29.thumb.png.22f05c1ee656a19e6e20b238f4d67db9.png

I'm hoping that the customer service rep just had the wrong info....

Edited by CocoaCollective
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/4/2021 at 3:03 PM, FloraCN said:

Let's keep bombarding them with emails about this- it's a big error for Squarespace not to allow users to set VAT rates per product, and I really don't see why it should be particularly difficult. 

Just seen the Squarespace's announcement about new commerce packages, tools and feature and was hopeful that this would be fixed...

I'm not holding my breath.  Spoke to someone from their customer care team and they didn't even know that they'd made an announcement.  I had to send them the link!

Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 11.34.37.png

Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 11.34.49.png

Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 11.34.56.png

• 1 year later...

uh yeah. This is a deal breaker. I do not understand why this cant be implemented. This is an ecommerce platform. Tax is the most basic feature and its necessary. Could they not allow a custom policy or inject code? Between this and the lack of bulk sorting and new products sorted last this has been a nightmare. Signing up to Square Space was a waste of my time.

• 5 months later...
On 8/22/2023 at 6:10 AM, shameshame said:

this has been a nightmare. Signing up to Square Space was a waste of my time.

I'm in exactly the same boat. signed up, half built a site, came to add the products with and without tax and boom - game over. ridiculous.

Edited by CaptainGrumblebum