Hyperlink "summary-header-text" (screenshots included) [Think it's a SIMPLE fix ...?]

Site URL: https://www.inssatoronto.com/

Hi all, I have done a lot of CSS trial and error but had no luck. I think what I am trying to do is pretty simple ...

I am using Summary Blocks. The carousel block's Header Text (highlighted in RED) is not hyperlink-able through Squarespace settings. I would like for users to click the text and be directed to a page on my site.

1556929324_ScreenShot2020-05-10at1_08_55AM.thumb.png.873397f6cb4826d004c6e4cb9efc0f74.png

I have identified the block ID and tried to get "summary-header-text" hyperlinked but had no luck. I would like each summary block on the home page to have clickable Headers. Thank you in advance!!

319040408_ScreenShot2020-05-10at1_09_31AM.thumb.png.ff98258986f16e397d7b4f4471ee87a0.png

• Replies 11
  • Views 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not add a text link  or button right next to the summary header title text? Something that tells the viewer where they are going? I design sites based on what it is like to view, I use a large focus group, and they all agree, they don't like some surprises, like unexpected links that go to unexpected places. Give the viewer the power to decide what to see, and going offsite without knowing why can be one of the most unpleasant surprises of all. 

@derricksrandomviews I can see where you are going with that but I'd have to respectfully disagree ...

I am trying to make it easier/more intuitive for the user to navigate to the blog that is the source of the posts in the carousel. The Summary blocks I have set up are pulling from the blog that I am trying to hyperlink. I want users to be able to navigate quickly to the correct page if they like the content they see in the carousel (by clicking the header - *currently unlinkable*).

There is a maximum number of posts the summary block can accommodate (30). I'd like for people to be able to easily see the whole grid if they so choose.

You're right that they could click an image or the text below the image. That would get them to a specific blog post. However, that's another click that's needed for them to find the grid (aka blog landing page). I know that it is possible to get to the blog landing page via the navigation bar -- but I'd like to give people the option to get there even more easily by linking the Summary block header. It seems very reasonable and intuitive for the user that the header of the summary block (which is the title of the blog series) would be clickable and lead people to that blog.

@derricksrandomviews @tuanphan

Ah, now I see your issue. Do you know you can chain summary blocks on the same page? You get by the 30 limit that way with a little trick, you assign cats to the posts with something simple like the first thirty each hav cat 1, second 30, cat 2 whatever you want, then filter them in the summary set up. That is how I was able to have over 60 posts on one summary page here: https://myrandomviews.com/storysummary

The chain tip is helpful and I will definitely look into it. Beyond the max # of posts, my main goal is to try to get people to the blog landing page in the quickest/easiest way possible. If I am unable to find a way to link the Header text of the summary block, I am thinking of trying something I just thought of. Perhaps I'd put a text block underneath the summary block and write something like: "Read more from this series." I would link that text and have it go to the blog landing page (grid).

Thank you for sharing your stories! "Four Hours From Heaven" is beautiful. I chose it completely by random and liked the story even more because of the coincidence of today being mother's day and Joel's birthday is the day next. Happy birthday!

On 5/10/2020 at 6:55 AM, derricksrandomviews said:

Why not add a text link  or button right next to the summary header title text? Something that tells the viewer where they are going? I design sites based on what it is like to view, I use a large focus group, and they all agree, they don't like some surprises, like unexpected links that go to unexpected places. Give the viewer the power to decide what to see, and going offsite without knowing why can be one of the most unpleasant surprises of all. 

I am trying to link a few buttons on my home page to specific blog posts and it seems its not possible at all. It's only giving me the option to connect it to the overall blog page. Any advice?? I am losing my mind over this, seems it should be a such an easy thing to do but it's nowhere to be found.

Each blog post has it's own url slug, that is what you connect to with a button, that is a link button not a content button which only links to a page or gallery. 

I can create a text link, nav link or button with this url which goes directly to one of my blog posts: https://myrandomviews.com/stories/2018/9/2/catch-some-wind

This is the  same url that shows up in the address bar. 

Simple and works the same with  all templates. 

Archived