Cannot edit pages

Hello.

Help! I am unable to edit any of the blocks of a new site build. Trial 7.1 site on windows 10.

Once in Page Edit mode, the header and footer  buttons to edit appear and the header sidebar content is editable. The footer is only editable when I use keyboard tab, not mouse, to bring up content edits. Only sporadically.

All other elements on the page are buggy. I managed to bring up a couple of edit boxes but then lost ability to return to edits. IT DOES NOT look like the squarespace demo training video ease at all! 

On the screen print you can see the plus to add a clock but I can't mouse over to bring up edit the block itself. My mouse is hovered over the photo block. I did open edit once and the logo was inserted but it won't resize. I can't get in to edit or delete  the demo text.

No difference  on ipad. No difference on a new site demo.

Maybe I just need to reinstall? How?

Screenshot 2020-05-09 07.58.49.png

Edited by jem
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey- so I had this issue where I could edit everything one day then the next day- nothing. 

I contacted their live chat support, ran through everything with them and was told they would get back to me- nothing. I did end up finding a solution myself!!! (Please note- I am not a computer person but I will try to explain this in the best way that I know how)

So- if you look at your javascript on the edit page (for windows it'll be Ctrl + Shift + J) and are getting multiple "ISSUE" warnings about 'cookies' or 'Same-site' attributes, that is probably your issue. Google Chrome is constantly updating and in recent updates, plugged this in which didn't integrate well with SS editing tools. Even when I tried different browsers it affected this- I'm not sure why but it did. 

The solution can be seen here: https://github.com/google/google-api-javascript-client/issues/561

Here are the instructions written out:

type this into your browser: chrome://flags/#account-consistency             and disable "SameSite by default cookies", "Enable removing SameSite=None cookies", and "Cookies without SameSite must be secure" 

After that, restart your browser (I had to restart my computer) and you should be back to editing! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same issue. I can only use the "tab" key to enable edit. In another thread, I saw someone saying that mouse does not trigger edit when their device was connected to the 2nd monitor. I deleted the cookies and I still have the same issue.

I am also having the same issue.  Yesterday when I started I had no problem.  Today I cannot edit anything except header and footer.  I have spent the last 3 hours scouring over videos and help topics and I have found nothing to resolve the problem.  I tried deleting all the cookies and clearing the browser history - didn't work.  I switched from Chrome to Edge - still didn't work.  VERY disappointed that after I paid for a year of service this thing is turning out to be full of bugs.  😡

Edited by SassyFox

I am using a Surface Book attached to an external Dell monitor.  After reading through some more forum posts I tried disconnecting the external monitor from the Surface Book and now everything works fine.  That's total BS that the system is buggy with external monitors hooked up.  I'm beginning to seriously question my choice of web site provider.  From the other posts I read it sounds like SS isn't doing anything about it either.  😡

Edited by SassyFox

I disconnected my external monitor. I also connect the mouse directly to my surface pro. It was previously connected through a USB hub port. My moue now triggers the edit. Before I figured this out, I contacted the customer service and they showed me how they could easily move things around and edit but my mouse was half unresponsive, I didn't realize that the issue was the mouse-PC connection. My previous setup did not have any issue with other purposes. It was problematic only with squarespace. Hope this helps with others who are having the same issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I normally edit on a Surface using wireless keyboard and mouse connected via USB port. Initially found I could not edit text blocks in Chrome so switched to Explorer. Assumed it was a browser issue as had no problem editing in Explorer. My Surface just upgraded Explorer to Edge and had the same problem - couldn't edit any text blocks (shows a blue line around the block but no text editing toolbar). Tried all the recommended solutions e.g. clearing browser, checking cookies, javascript etc. No joy and extremely frustrating. Having read Reiko's post I just tried going back to a wired mouse and the Surface's original keyboard. This seems to have fixed the editing problem (fingers crossed) so appears to be a mouse-Surface connection issue.  

Whoever figured out the removal of the external monitor fix worked for me too! I've spent 3 hours trying to figure out why I can't edit a site that I could 2 weeks ago and nothing changed. I chatted with two support people at Squarespace and they claimed it was a browser issue. Tried 3 browsers, incognito, clearing cache, restarts, logging in and out and the list goes on and on. Until I found this and unplugged my two external monitors that are connected to my laptop. Now I can edit my site!!!  THANKS!
Why is this an issue now and wasn't before? It's fun to build sites on a 13" screen instead of a 24" screen! <insert sarcasm>

• 2 weeks later...

having the same issues, nothing works except Tab. Squarespace this has been hell. we are really disappointed in this. we have two computers to edit and only one person can edit our website effectively. this isnt worth the trouble. 0/10

this cant just be a cookies setting it is system wide in windows 10. unable to do business!

Edited by APTLLC

I've also cant edit! I don't undestand! I know I'm not an idiot and the entire point of SS is so you can easily build a "webiste in minutes" but I've spent the past couple of hours trying to edit the templates to add my own text and can't do it. I work in IT! I don't understand!! I've watched the tutorials but I cant even click on the text to edit. Anyone else?!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I have read through all the advice, disconnected my MacBook from my external monitor & cleared cookies and changed browser from Safari to Chrome....nothing helps. I can still only edit headings and not the main text below. Any new advice for me? Very frustrating....

I have the same issue. I open Edit for a page, and when I hover over the text, or try and edit text, nothing happens. I can only add new blocks and edit the header or footer. Editing the existing text blocks does not work.

I thought the problem might have been that I changed my cookie settings yesterday in Firefox to 'strict', and deleted all the existing cookies, but undoing this action does not solve the issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue. Tried firefox, chrome, edge, and explorer on my laptop and tried safari and chrome on my ipad, and nothing has worked. Tried clearing cookies, cache, browser history, restarting... nothing. I tried incognito on all these browsers as well. This is DEFINITELY not a browser issue and I'm super disappointed because I just paid for an annual plan and I need this site to apply for jobs!

• 2 weeks later...

I had this issue too on my HP Spectre x360. Couldn't edit text or any blocks/forms unless I was using the Tab key on my keyboard. After doing all of the aforementioned cookies/caches/javascript and spent an hour on live chat to no avail, I found that my wireless mouse was the issue when my computer was flipped into tablet mode (I use my laptop in tablet mode connected to an external monitor). A wired mouse worked with my computer in tablet mode and a wireless mouse works with my computer opened normally. External monitor still works great. This was my first experience with SS so I was a little peeved at first because I thought the site was just incredibly user unfriendly haha. Now that the mouse works, editing is a breeze.

[Copying my post from another thread on this, in case cross-referencing the two might yield anything for all at some point...]

Same problem here, with Surface Go 2 & Brydge keyboard. Grr!

I had an online chat last week with a lovely young man on SS support about not being able to edit, but iirc I didn't explicitly say that I was using a Surface device - it only just occurred to me that that might be an issue. 

I found a couple of reddit threads which include some fixes which seem to have worked for others. They didn't for me, alas (& nor did those above), but posting here in case it's of use to anyone still struggling on this thread. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/squarespace/comments/j6oat6/psa_for_anyone_with_a_microsoft_surface_or/

https://www.reddit.com/r/squarespace/comments/eysfh1/editing_not_working/

Fumbling, slowly and seldom surely, through creating and maintaining my first site. Sufficiently stupid to be starting another at the same time. What could possibly go wrong?

7.1. Current subs to Office 365 (Family) and G Suite (Basic) and still trying to work out which works best with SS for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this issue as well. I haven't tried changing my mouse, but I have everything else, and to no avail. I did however find a way around the problem by creating all new pages with blank templates and then deleting all of the template pages. The only challenge with this is that once you insert a text box or image, etc, you still have the same issue where you can't edit it after. But so long as you have a plan going in it can work. Still a pain in the ass, and its a HUGE disappointment having these issues after paying for a year subscription, but at least it allowed me to get my website running for Christmas season.