Website title and page title as H1 tag

• Replies 2
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@simonza. There is absolutely no reason for you to make a change - zero!  Your website name is clearly tagged site "title' in the page Header section of the page code and in the 'head' HTML code. Google expects your site h1 title tag to be coded in this manner.

Your on-page h1  tags are located in the 'body' section of the HTML. The 'body' and 'head' are distinct code and page areas. Google reads this. They are agreed industry standards.

If you were to place two h1 titles in the body area on the same page it may start to affect your SEO, as Google may not be able to understand your content priorities: best practice is to have a single h1 tag in the body of your page with sub-headers as h2, h3 etc.

That said, the SEO gurus at Google and beyond have tested and stated publicly that having more than one h1 tag in your page 'body' text alone does not necessarily effect SEO rankings, as long as the crawlers understand your information priorities and content flow. But, for simple sites, I'd keep to one h1 in you page area and keep the h1 in your title. Ignore Seobility on this one.)

- John

mcgouran.john@gmail.com

• 6 months later...
On 5/8/2020 at 2:32 AM, JOHNMD said:

@simonza. There is absolutely no reason for you to make a change - zero!  Your website name is clearly tagged site "title' in the page Header section of the page code and in the 'head' HTML code. Google expects your site h1 title tag to be coded in this manner.

Your on-page h1  tags are located in the 'body' section of the HTML. The 'body' and 'head' are distinct code and page areas. Google reads this. They are agreed industry standards.

If you were to place two h1 titles in the body area on the same page it may start to affect your SEO, as Google may not be able to understand your content priorities: best practice is to have a single h1 tag in the body of your page with sub-headers as h2, h3 etc.

That said, the SEO gurus at Google and beyond have tested and stated publicly that having more than one h1 tag in your page 'body' text alone does not necessarily effect SEO rankings, as long as the crawlers understand your information priorities and content flow. But, for simple sites, I'd keep to one h1 in you page area and keep the h1 in your title. Ignore Seobility on this one.)

- John

https://www.robgolding.co.uk

I have only just started SEO'ing my site and like the OP I am using Seobility, and have found it very helpful, because nearly everything website related is Greek to me.

Seobility keeps telling me I have too many H1 tags on my portfolio pages, but as far as I can see I don't (Of course there is every chance I am being completely stupid here and missing something)

I'm slightly reassured by your reply, although its annoying with regards getting the score up on the Seobility website, as it keeps telling me I have a problem. Mind you it also kept telling me my website was in German, and only stopped doing this after I added meta descriptions to my images. I have no idea why it did this either.

Glad I found this thread :)

Archived