Customizing Subscription Logic

Hi,

We sell one year advertising subscriptions that bill monthly.

I am wondering if subscriptions via Stripe integration can be customized in the following ways:

(1) Block customers from cancelling subscriptions via their Customer Account (we want them to call us).

(2) Setup subscription billing products so that they charge the first 3 months in advance. Thus the logic would be something like this for a $100/mo product:
- Charge $300 at time of sale
- Begin recurring billing at $100/mo 90 days later

Thank you to anyone who knows if such customizations are possible. We love Squarespace, but would prefer our software supports our business model rather than forcing our business model to support the software. 🙂

We are also open to creative solutions, such as integrating an additional product or creating a custom checkout flow if necessary. Or even switching to a different provider than Squarespace if it is not likely to work for us.

Thank you for any recommendations!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi @Ryan_Owen123 

The Subscriptions feature has made it really easy to sell goods or services on a basic recurring basis without the need for third party tools, but subscriptions are still relatively new (in Squarespace time). Because of this, subscription functionality is still quite basic and cannot compete with third-party subscription products.

For example:

• You can't manipulate the billing in the way that you describe
  • Customers cannot purchase subscriptions at the same time as non-subscription products

I've used SendOwl's subscription services for a number of clients but I'm not an expert on subscriptions, so someone else may want to chime in about the subscription products they have used and would recommend.

5 hours ago, Ryan_Owen123 said:

Block customers from cancelling subscriptions via their Customer Account (we want them to call us).

This may be possible with some code, but unfortunately I can't test this for you because Squarespace still don't allow us to test Advanced Commerce features - see my post from 2018.

-Paul

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...

@Ryan_Owen123Did you ever figure out a way to block customers from cancelling subscriptions? We're in the same boat where they need to give a certain amount of notice for a cancellation to be accepted, and if they have the option to cancel whenever, it really muddies the water.

Hoping we could remove it so that we can manually process cancellations.

Archived