Can you use Coinbase and BitPay with Squarespace

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

I couldn’t find information if I could use Coinbase and BitPay for a Squarespace store. Is it possible to add the payment methods or I’m gonna be limited to ApplePay and Stripe?

• 2 months later...

I also need to accept payments using bitpay! looking into any way a 3rd party payment processor can be integrated into squarespace however it looks like there is only the two default options. I'm no coder so I'm not going to muck around with it all - I just want an option to plug in a 3rd party payment processor.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks like Squarespace doesn't have an integrated option right now.  I found this as a workaround:

How to Accept Bitcoin [BTC] Payments on Squarespace | by Arpit Agarwal | Blockonomics Blog — Bitcoin Payments & More

It's a bit of a clunky process, but it would get the job done.  I am going to try this myself.  My operations are small enough to deal with customers on a one-on-one basis, so for me it won't be too much of a problem.  I really hope Squarespace gets on top of this.

• Solution
On 2/24/2021 at 4:34 AM, organic_emma said:

My client wants to add Bitcoin as a payment option on his website, any suggestions?

It is not possible to accept Bitcoin as a payment option when using Squarespace commerce, and it is unlikely that this will ever be supported by Squarespace. 

People have written workarounds (see other posts) that allow you to take bitcoin payments by manual, off platform methods, but these are onerous and unsuitable for most businesses. However, if you are interested in exploring these, with Ecwid it’s possible to accept crypto along with other world currencies. 

Edited by paul2009
Added example

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone found any options to Blockonomics?

I'd like to receive payments for both my services and art prints in crypto. Blockonomics requires too much work on my end. Im hoping that Squarespace, Paypal or Coinbase allows this integration soon. Otherwise, I may need to switch platforms :(

• 8 months later...
On 2/24/2021 at 1:22 PM, paul2009 said:

It is not possible to accept Bitcoin as a payment option when using Squarespace commerce, and it is unlikely that this will ever be supported by Squarespace. 

People have written workarounds (see other posts) that allow you to take bitcoin payments by manual, off platform methods, but these are onerous and unsuitable for most businesses. However, if you are interested in exploring these, with Ecwid it’s possible to accept crypto along with other world currencies. 

This is very doubtful. I've been with SquareSpace for almost 10 years, and they are always last to the party when it comes to ecommerce. I remember when they didn't have PayPal integration and they were forced to. 

Crypto is like PayPal, except adoption pressure for them to integrate will be 10-20x more intense in the next year or two.

No crypto payments in the very near future is a deal breaker. Shopify and WooCommerce already have it integrated. SquareSpace design/aesthetic advantage is no longer noticeable. Right now for me, it's a convivence issue to stay with SqaureSpace, as soon it becomes a business issue I will gladly switch if they don't have modern ecommerce tools.

Edited by TheDaydreamBrand
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2/25/2021 at 2:22 AM, paul2009 said:

" But these are onerous and unsuitable for most businesses." Guys, you are really behind; Bitcoin payments through the lightning network are virtually free and immediately settled. You have to integrate this technology into Squarespace, it's much more efficient and cost-effective than the current payment rails. Its actually ideal for small businesses. You need to get educated.

When will Squarespace integrate Bitcoin payments? We are in 2023; Bitcoin payments, through the lightning network, are the fastest and cheapest way to settle transactions immediately. I want to integrate this payment option to avoid the atrocious commission and terms from major payment platforms like PayPal and credit cards. 

Squarespace doesn’t use this forum to track limitations or feature requests. If you'd like to raise this as a feature request, you are encouraged to contact Squarespace directly by raising a ticket through Squarespace Customer Care

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.