Canonical URLs

I have a number of squarespace sites that use blogs. 

Occasionally I want to cross-post content across these sites. I don't want to damage SEO by having multiple pages of the same content therefore looking at using canonical URLs but there is no code injection for separate blog posts. 

Can anyone confirm that if I add a code block with the below inserted pointing back to the original version of that post this will be sufficient for search engines to recognize the first version of the blog post and therefore not hinder SEO for multiple blog posts displaying the same content. 

<link rel="canonical" href="https://example.com/blog/test-blog/" />
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Have you tried adding to the page header?

Work With Me 🖥️💻📱

Please remember to tag me so that I get a notification and respond to your help requests.

If my answers have helped you, please drop a like and mark my answer as best to help other users find solutions quickly.

You can also thank me or make requests by buying me a coffee . (Caffeine fuels me to take more requests)

For Squarespace Tips & Tricks, visit @squareskills (Youtube 📺 Tutorials)

For Premium and FREE plugins, visit Squareskills (Plugin Store) 🧩

Some links may be affiliate/referral links.

It won't work as you are looking to put a Canonical in place on a specific blog post. There is no code injection in posts - there should be SS! - and adding a code block will mean the the Canonical is added in the <body> section which means it will be ignored.

You may be able to used some kind of funky JQEURY to inject it into the header using code-injection at a site level, but I'm speculating and someone else might be able to advise if possible.

We provide digital marketing services for businesses that need exposure/sales from search and social media networks. We also build incredibly fast and well optimised multi-language Square Space websites.
Digital Marketing | Marketing Digitale