• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search
allered

Add borders to website in 7.1 with CSS

Question

Hi Guys, 

this is my first post on this Forum so Hi everybody!

I've built 5+ websites on the Squarespace platform as a Circle member and now I'm trying the new 7.1 system template.

I've already asked to support for that but they suggested me to solve it with custom code.

I need to add border all around the website, someone can help me with the CSS/HTML?

I've found this code snippet on google but it doesn't work because the borders are shown only on the first part of the page and not all around the website...

<head>
<style>
body {
    margin:0px;
    background-image: url(http://i.imgur.com/LhxKJpU.jpg);
    }
.top, .left, .right, .bottom {
    display: block;
    position:absolute;
    width:100%;
    height:100%;
    }   
.top {
    border-top: 1em double #fff; top: 40px; z-index:100;
    }
.left {
    border-left: 1em double #fff; left: 40px; z-index:200;
    }
.right {
    border-right: 1em double #fff; right: 40px; z-index:300;
    }
.bottom {
    border-bottom: 1em double #fff; bottom: 40px; z-index:400;
    }           
</style>
</head>
<body>
<div class="top"></div>
<div class="left"></div>
<div class="right"></div>
<div class="bottom"></div>
</body>
</html>

Thanks to anyone who helps me!

12 answers to this question

3 hours ago, laurasharp said:

Thanks so much @ChrisBartow! Can you or @allered tell me how I would change the color? I added the hex code in place of the text "solid red", but then the border becomes transparent.

don't change "solid red"

change red

border: 25px solid red 

=

• border-width: 25px;
  • border-style: solid;
  • border-color: red;

You can send your question to my email to get faster answer. / How to Setup Password & Share URL 

-- I'm Tuan. I work for a non-profit project (promote the establishment of free libraries). I check the forum once or twice a day to help out the community. If you don't see me answering your question, you can send it to the email above. There are so many questions every day so I can't answer them all at once, I will try to answer them in the next few days.

Hi! I'm having trouble adding a custom image as a border/section divider. I'm following this tutorial but it's not working for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL0mKjrVGDI

the website is befluent.ca, and this is my code. I just want to add a top border to my footer:

[data-section-id="5e82b6064550494f9872bfdb"] {
  overflow: visible;

&:before {
    content: '';
    width: 100%;
    height: 100px;
    top: 0;
    left: 0;
    background-image: url(https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5ddda52234a3a5066152f7c4/t/5eff47f7f00dfd0e1791b116/1593788409105/Border-WavyBlack.png);
    background-size: contain;
    background-repeat: repeat-x;
    background-position: bottom;
    margin-top: -315px;
    position: absolute;
    pointer-events: none;

@media screen and (max-width: 800px) {
      background-size: 200% 50%;
    }
  }
}

Please help, thanks!

10 hours ago, jessmartinez said:

Hi! I'm having trouble adding a custom image as a border/section divider. I'm following this tutorial but it's not working for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL0mKjrVGDI

the website is befluent.ca, and this is my code. I just want to add a top border to my footer:

[data-section-id="5e82b6064550494f9872bfdb"] {
  overflow: visible;

&:before {
    content: '';
    width: 100%;
    height: 100px;
    top: 0;
    left: 0;
    background-image: url(https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5ddda52234a3a5066152f7c4/t/5eff47f7f00dfd0e1791b116/1593788409105/Border-WavyBlack.png);
    background-size: contain;
    background-repeat: repeat-x;
    background-position: bottom;
    margin-top: -315px;
    position: absolute;
    pointer-events: none;

@media screen and (max-width: 800px) {
      background-size: 200% 50%;
    }
  }
}

Please help, thanks!

It seems you solved?

You can send your question to my email to get faster answer. / How to Setup Password & Share URL 

-- I'm Tuan. I work for a non-profit project (promote the establishment of free libraries). I check the forum once or twice a day to help out the community. If you don't see me answering your question, you can send it to the email above. There are so many questions every day so I can't answer them all at once, I will try to answer them in the next few days.

Yes, sorry about that. It took me a while to realize I needed to add another footer section above the original one so that the top border would show up. I hope it helps anyone who's also looking for an answer to this! 

On 4/20/2020 at 11:34 AM, ChrisBartow said:

This works on my site, seems a lot easier. Added to custom CSS.

body { border:25px solid red; }
header { margin:25px 25px 0 25px; }

Thanks so much, this worked really well! Is there a way to only apply this background to the desktop view, and keep the mobile view without a border? 

18 hours ago, alexhether said:

Thanks so much, this worked really well! Is there a way to only apply this background to the desktop view, and keep the mobile view without a border? 

Add to Home > Design > Custom CSS

@media screen and (min-width:992px) {
}

7 hours ago, tuanphan said:

Add to Home > Design > Custom CSS

@media screen and (min-width:992px) {
}

Thank you so much!!