Add Categories and Tags to portfolio pages

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same problem, I managed to set up a filter within a blog section but I can't add categories or tags to filter my portfolio pages. Is there any other solutions to add this functionality to a portfolio section or plans to add categories or tags to work pages in the near future? Cheers!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Solution

Portfolio pages don't support collection features like tagging, categorisation or filtering.

If you'd like to add categories or tags, you'll need to use a supported Squarespace collection:

• Album
  • Blog
  • Custom Post Types
  • Events
  • Gallery
  • Products

For more information see Where to add categories and tags.

If this post has helped you, please click a 'Like' or 'Thanks' icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

On 10/17/2021 at 7:33 PM, rjm21 said:

I also need this feature to catalog decades of creative work

Portfolios are currently limited to 40 sub-pages, so are unlikely to be suitable for decades of work. 

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 months later...
On 2/16/2022 at 5:08 AM, StudioEightySeven said:

@Paul2009 is there plans to be able to categorize portfolio pages in the future? As @rjm21 mentioned it is listed as a collections page.

I once saw a site, they used Summary Block with Blog Post to do this. And use Source URL in Blog Posts to link to portfolio subpages. You can consider.

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2020 at 12:51 AM, tuanphan said:

You can use this plugin to create filter on portfolio page.

The problem is that even that plugin's page says there are "...some limitations/requirements, as there are no categories or tags in these collections." But there's no indication about what those limitations are! Do you know? Does anybody know WHY we wouldn't be able to tag/categorize portfolio projects? Or if they're gonna change that?

On 10/17/2021 at 2:41 PM, paul2009 said:

Portfolios are currently limited to 40 sub-pages, so are unlikely to be suitable for decades of work. 

This is an arbitrary limit by SqSp, among many. There should be more, and even more obvious there should be tags/categories in portfolios. As in: people should be able to filter and sort through portfolio items. 

On 3/22/2022 at 2:22 AM, ivan-dabbles said:

The problem is that even that plugin's page says there are "...some limitations/requirements, as there are no categories or tags in these collections." But there's no indication about what those limitations are! Do you know? Does anybody know WHY we wouldn't be able to tag/categorize portfolio projects? Or if they're gonna change that?

It supports 40 sub pages only

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, studiostream said:

How is it possible? So I have like 734 artist to add to my collection, which type of page I need to use?

I'd probably try a Blog page first. Put a few artists in and then experiment to see it the Blog page will work out for your needs.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2022 at 9:00 PM, creedon said:

I'd probably try a Blog page first. Put a few artists in and then experiment to see it the Blog page will work out for your needs.

Thank you sir, I went for this solution + lazy load plugin. I'm away now but once back I think we're going to take this path. I can add categories and tags, it's perfect. The only problem was the 30 post limit, but with the lazy load plugin and a "load more" button I think it would be ok. Thank you for the answer!

• 5 months later...