URL redirects to a static page

Site URL: https://natureinstitute.org/pub/ic/ic38/id.pdf

Hey all,

I work for a research institute that writes a lot of articles. We have a twice yearly journal and, for the last 10 years, we've just taken all those articles and uploaded them to our website as PDFs (the journal has a nice format so why not?). Of course those articles have then been linked from other sites and some of them have a quiet decent google rating.

But now I'm building a new website on Squarespace and I was recently told that I can't upload those same articles on Squarespace as static PDFs and simply redirect the old URLs to them. I guess it's something about how static pages are stored within Squarespace. Anyways, this is a make-or-break issue for continuing with Squarespace as our articles are a big part of our website.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any workarounds for this? I thought of one possible one yesterday, but when I asked over at the help center I didn't understand their answer (I actually suspect the person didn't understand my question, but it could be the other way around...). My idea was to create dynamic pages of the articles on the new website and then redirect to them instead of static pages. We could also upload the articles as static PDFs so that people can still download them in that format and print them, but that doesn't have to be the only way ,or even the main way, that they live online. Do people think that would work? Are there any difficulties in directing the URL from a static page from my old website, to a dynamic page on my new one?

(I've shared a link to one of the existing articles, but I can't share a link to the new site as it's not up yet)

Thanks for any help you can offer!

• Replies 1
  • Views 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

Archived