Help... 7.1 Editor is ridiculously SLOW

This continues to be a problem. I have recently started having this issue as well despite switching between Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. Had a chat with a tech support person and they couldn't reproduce the problem on their end but that seems to be because it takes a few minutes for it to manifest.

Clearing the cache helps momentarily. However, when editing I have to clear the cache multiple times per session. As this is a recurring issue Squarespace really needs to resolve this issue and I'd be willing to assist troubleshooting in any way possible.

Same, I'm having the same problem. Everything was fine yesterday, the day before, last week, et cetera.

Now, today, suddenly, I can't do anything. I write a sentence in a text box and it only shows up 30-70 seconds later.

HELP.

I need to compose this website's text IN the website; I can't think straight in a Write-It-Elsewhere-&-Paste-It-In sort of way. I need to write, space, rearrange, invent IN this web editor, as I was doing yesterday with no hiccups. What happened and how do I fix this? Squarespace! Helpl!

This is still an issue for me as well. I can't believe they haven't fixed it yet, and I'm disappointed to hear that the people who have called support are being told the issue can't be replicated. It makes me believe nobody on their end is realizing or admitting there is a problem.

The biggest issue I have is that occasionally the Squarespace editor simply slows down - so that the letters can't keep up with the speed of your typing. It's incredibly frustrating and makes work impossible. Strangely, it doesn't happen every time, but none of the workarounds in this thread have worked for me when the issue does happen. It has nothing to do with your computer or your browser or your internet, it has something to do with Squarespace's software or their servers or something on their end, and it absolutely needs to be fixed.

For me the only solution is to type in a word doc and paste it over to Squarespace a little bit at a time. Sorry I can't be of more help, but hopefully if more people complain, actual resources will be used to fix this.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat. Using 7.1. I can work on building/editing my site for about two hours before everything slows to a crawl. I've done everything suggested by the support agents. It has to be a client issue? Server? It has to be something on their end. I just logged out, shut everything down, and started again the next day, when everything was fine for a few hours - then the lags began again. So frustrating as I really want to like this system. I don't know how to escalate the issues to someone higher up in the food chain. Sigh.....

Well, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that finds the editor incredibly frustrating.  My computer is basically brand new and even after trying some of the steps mentioned above, I'm editing in 7.1 and it's constantly lagging and I'm finding myself needing to refresh the page soooo many times to make really simple edits. It makes me a little nervous to see so many people having the same issue and as far as I've seen, Squarespace hasn't made any solutions. Starting to think building sites for clients on here isn't such a great idea after all.

I'm also having issues with the typing and words showing up over 30 seconds later thing too, so annoying, I'm shutting it all down and coming back later lol. 

Edited by AmandaKay

I've had this issue for a while. Typically during a design session, I'll clear my browser (Firefox) cache and cookies about seven times around the point where it's saved around 70-95. Lately this hasn't helped like it magically used to. Just like you all, the lag is about 15 seconds to 30 seconds for a placed cursor to activate, etc. (any action, really). It's so bad today, I'm finally chiming in.

I have slow internet, but my computer has a powerful processor. I manage about 7 sites in my account, and most have a good deal of custom CSS that predated the new 'Site Styles' feature. Maybe this is a contributing factor.

Any insight into how I can fix this? I think that it may be an issue with my internet speed because the other day I had incredibly fast internet and the editing features were working much better, but still not great.

I'll update this post once I replace my router. My upload speed is 5.8 right now and download speed is 68.5. This has got to be the issue, right?

UPDATE:
I just replaced my router and the issue persists. Squarespace outright will not let me edit any pages now it's so slow. I'll continue to update once I upgrade my modem.

UPDATE:
Switching browsers works in a pinch

Edited by goodmajick
Update
  • 4 weeks later...

I was having the same problem and was dismayed as I read through this thread. The fixes suggested here didn't help me either, so I started working through the tips on the help page 'Troubleshooting Browser Issues'. (My browser is Firefox)

I wondered if it might help to turn off AdBlock (which I have installed) when I was in my Squarespace editor. Voila! My editor suddenly began working great, no delays. I wanted to share this here in case it might be the fix for someone else too.

• 2 weeks later...

Had this issue for the first time today when I decided to rebuild my home page.

Ended up doing all the text editing in Pages to get around the issue of the editor taking 10-20 seconds for each individual letter to show up on screen. Editing text I'd already written in the editor was a non starter due to the lag on it registering when you hit the back space and continuing to type meant I often got a jumble of letters.

Editing each section was painfully slow and often wouldn't bring up the menus to edit the items within a section e.g. an accordion or a heading without refreshing the page then clicking onto something else and then coming back to the thing I actually wanted to edit.

I wasn't under any time pressures thankfully as this took hours and hours longer than expected because of the very laggy behaviour. This must be a total nightmare if you're working with a tight deadline.

I tried a lot of the fixes other people have mentioned but nothing seemed to help. Must admit to being a little alarmed at how many posts there are on this thread when I Googled the issue!

This is the first time I've had issues with 7.1 but I thought I would mention it do the size of this thread. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow and today was just a blip!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had excruciating slow-down and delays in Firefox of at least 5 - 10 seconds when clicking on almost anything.

Changing to Chrome does seem to have fixed it for now (though I'd rather stick with Firefox if I could).

However, I've seen in the comments that the problem can return too, even after changing to a "fresh" browser, which makes me wonder if it is something to do with cache?

Other people have also mentioned that the fix is turning off ad-blocker.

Anyway, I'll stick to Chrome for Squarespace development for now and see how it goes...

UPDATE: I've had some luck with speeding up the Squarespace editor in Firefox by using a cache cleaning extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/clearcache/

Edited by mrclarkson
Updated it

Switching to Chrome has been my solution. Also, the new Fluid editor doesn't work for me in Firefox, so Chrome it is. I can't believe how much smoother everything works!

I wonder if I have some browser extensions in my Firefox that are getting in the way?

14 hours ago, goodmajick said:

Switching to Chrome has been my solution. Also, the new Fluid editor doesn't work for me in Firefox, so Chrome it is. I can't believe how much smoother everything works!

I wonder if I have some browser extensions in my Firefox that are getting in the way?

I tried removing all my Firefox extensions and it made no difference.

The only two things that made a difference for me were:

1. Using Firefox in private mode.

2. Or using a cache cleaner when the SS editor starts to slow down.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/clearcache/

But it still runs smoother and faster in Chrome!

• 1 month later...

Has anyone run across the issue of sluggishness based on the users' permissions on the site? If we have a user with "Website Editor" privileges, the site editor comes to a CRAWL. But, if the user is an Administrator, the site editing works normally.  

That needs to be fixed.

7 minutes ago, BMZ said:

That needs to be fixed.

Have you contacted Squarespace Customer Care to report this?

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just switched to Squarespace from Wix and I am EXTREMELY disappointed. I've wasted over an hour just sitting and waiting for the editor to load. I have little to no links on my pages, and my sites have barely any info outside of a few photos and blocks of text.

This is incredibly disappointing.

• 6 months later...

Yeah, hi from 2023. I just googled this problem to see if anything would pop up and here's this years long list of complaints, so at least I know it's not just me and my comp. I use Firefox for almost everything, guess I'll try switching to Chrome.

But yeah, Squarespace sucks for not having solved this issue altogether, same complaint from 2020 - 2023 is a problem.

• 1 month later...

This issue literally makes Squarespace an unusable product and I am not happy that I just paid for a year of unbearably sluggish editing capabilities two days ago. It's unacceptable that a simple edit causes major lags and then when I can accomplish my task I get errors when trying to save. It's frustrating and a waste of valuable time...  😡

Edited by zazu
  • 5 months later...

I logged into this forum just to reply in the affirmative to this thread. Terrible, terrible, terrible performance--I feel like I'm returning to telephone, 1999 dial-up speeds with the editor. It is 2023, how is this still an issue years after the first million complaints came out about it???

I will be reviewing whether Wix or other website editors have this problem and switching if they do not. Very bad on Squarespace not to address this issue.

• 2 months later...

Coming here like @DavidUser to confirm this issue is still diabolically awful in 2024. Nothing has changed, to the point where I'm questioning a swift exit. The fact that this issue has persisted since April 2022 is so poor.

No wonder I have no traction with organic traffic.