Selling CBD products- How can I connect a third-party payment processor?

Site URL: https://www.luxandleaf.com/

Hello everyone! I have a question regarding selling CBD products in Squarespace.

So I created a website for a client who sells skincare beauty products that contain CBD oil (https://www.luxandleaf.com/). However, I wasn't able to connect Stripe or Paypal because they do not allow transactions that are for CBD.  I'm looking into third-party payment processors like Foxy.io (https://www.foxy.io/squarespace) Does anyone have experience with them? and how it works? or any other suggestions?!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/21/2020 at 10:44 PM, clarson1229 said:

I was also curious to get your opinion on how much effort is required to connect one of these third party processors and if you can actually fully integrate it with the square space orders. 

To be clear, you cannot connect any third party payment processors to Squarespace Commerce except Stripe and PayPal. In other words, it isn't possible to receive payments via any other method and integrate this with the Squarespace Orders panel, Inventory, the Cart or the Checkout.

The only way to use a third party processor is to use another eCommerce system, by adding their "buy buttons" using Code Blocks. These sales will then be managed on that other eCommerce system, instead of Squarespace. Examples include SendOwl, Shopify, Foxy.io, Ecwid and so on.

If it helps, I have written the following guides:

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone done this successfully ? I'd love to see a working site selling something using a third party payment option - I'm afraid the extra step will push customers away.

I was completely ignorant as to how much of an issue this is for my CBD business.

I got a quote today of €850 setup fee, €100 per month plus 4%+€.3 per transaction from a payment provider !

• 1 month later...

I am in an herbalist business owners group on FB and someone posted that they found a way to do this, though not ideal by any means. 

Square offers CBD accounts, and square integrates with Ecwid ecommerce. So they have a squarespace website, and they integrate the Ecwid products on that website, and the payments are processed via their square CBD account. 

I want to see a better solution. I have a fully legal client with CBD licenses who can’t sell on her squarespace site and for obvious reasons, doesn’t want to source through a third party commerce app. 

16 minutes ago, lilyrothrock said:

Someone posted that they found a way to do this. Square offers CBD accounts, and square integrates with Ecwid ecommerce. So they have a squarespace website, and they integrate the Ecwid products on that website, and the payments are processed via their square CBD account. 

Indeed, Ecwid can be used with Squarespace to allow you to take payments with Square. As mentioned in my previous post (above), this does not mean that you can integrate it with Squarespace Commerce - you can't. You'll be using Squarespace for the website only, not for the commerce features. The commerce features will all be managed on Ecwid, including product inventory, sales, analytics and checkout.

If you have less than 10 products in your store, you can get a free Ecwid account to display your products on a Squarespace website using Ecwid Buy Buttons and take payments with Square. Bear in mind that Square typically takes a larger cut of all transactions than Stripe. Their standard online rate is 2.5% but for CBD businesses it is 4.2% + 30¢ per transaction. If you have more than 10 products you'll need Ecwid's Venture plan at $15/€15/£12.50 per month in addition to the Squarespace and Square costs.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, you can integrate your squarespace site with foxy.io using square as a payment processor to sell CBD product. My site, stillycbd.com uses this solution.

There are some limitations using foxy.io

- You need to be somewhat tech savvy as there is a decent amount of java involved, although the documentation they provide is pretty good

- As paul2009 mentioned, there are transaction fees involved

- It's not built into Squarespace's checkout, so customers are taken to a third party checkout (foxycart)

If you'd like some more in depth instructions, feel free to reach out. Foxy team has also been really helpful with set up.

• 8 months later...

I have a squarespace web site for my farm and I integrated an ecwid shop into it. I sell my farm products through squarespace's platform and my CBD products through Ecwid/Square. It can be confusing to have two separate shops on one site. Stripe recently has mistakenly closed down my account, then corrected themselves, and then closed it down again since there is "CBD" mentioned on my website. This is a REAL problem. If you're going to use a Squarespace website, it is easy to integrate an Ecwid store front, and they are excellent to deal with. I would advise not using stripe at all if you're going to embed ecwid. You can see my site here if you want an example. www.shofarm-cbduck.com 

To clarify my post above, I don’t recommend using the Squarespace commerce features and Ecwid on the same site - one should completely replace the other. 

• 4 months later...
On 7/22/2020 at 2:41 AM, paul2009 said:

To be clear, you cannot connect any third party processors to Squarespace Commerce. This means that nothing can be integrated with Orders, Inventory, the Cart or the Checkout. The only way to use a third party processor is to use it in isolation of the Squarespace features or use a payments system built into another eCommerce system.

Examples include SendOwl, Shopify, Foxy.io, Ecwid and so on. If it helps, I have written guides that explain how to use SendOwl with Squarespace, or how to use Shopify Buy Buttons to take advantage of the many payment services available in Shopify:

Using SendOwl with Squarespace

How to add Afterpay or Klarna to Squarespace

Hey Paul, I was curious, if we used a 3rd party processor like Foxy Cart, would we still need to have a Squarespace Commerce subscription since all commerce features will be unable to use? It sounds like these other platforms will be hosting and managing the products, customers, orders, promo codes, emails, etc etc. Is it possible to use Foxy Cart with a regular business subscription to Squarespace that does not include Commerce features?

7 minutes ago, CodyRainwater said:

Is it possible to use Foxy Cart with a regular business subscription to Squarespace that does not include Commerce features?

That's correct. The Commerce subscription is only of benefit if you are using the Squarespace checkout, not a third party one.

• 5 months later...

Paul, I'm interested in this comment you made - "I don’t recommend using the Squarespace commerce features and Ecwid on the same site - one should completely replace the other."

I am considering using a third party processor for my online store (such as foxy, NMI, auth.net) but continuing to use Stripe for my Squarespace Scheduling transactions.

Is this something you advise against or is it okay since it would be routed through Squarespace Scheduling rather than Commerce?

20 minutes ago, wellroomva said:

Is this something you advise against or is it okay since it would be routed through Squarespace Scheduling rather than Commerce?

It's fine. Commerce and Scheduling are currently separate platforms.

• 8 months later...

Hello, Can we expect any solutions on this regard or will squarespace still keep only this processing payments solutions for now, i would love to not have to go to wix to have full in one package, i was always a squarespace fan and will be but no update on this feature make it difficult for some of my clients to stay on squarespace 
thanks a lot for everything

32 minutes ago, timfeich said:

Can we expect any solutions on this regard or will squarespace still keep only this processing payments solutions for now

Stripe and PayPal are the only options available and neither can be used with "high-risk" items like CBD products. This is unlikely to change.