Categories and tags across pages

• Replies 4
  • Views 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have a page for each type of item...kitchens, bathroom, furniture, etc...needs to be this way for SEO purposes as she explains in the video

On the individual item  page (Refrigerator from a kitchen page , sofa from the furniture page, etc..)  the client wants to populate the category field with the property address.

Client wants to use the category info (The property address) to populate a summary block at the bottom of the individual page with items from other pages that match the same category.

Problem is...categories and tags are specific to each page and are not available this way.  I cant seem to set a summary block to pull category items off an item page thats not the same item page i'm on.

I hope that makes sense.

I loved the video but I see Tuanphan’s point. I guess we all have different preferences. 😀

As you’ve found, the Summary Block is super effective but can only connect to one collection (one blog in this case) at a time. The obvious workaround is to place all the items in a single blog and then create pages that filter this blog to recreate the individual pages that you currently have. Squarespace improved SEO for this a year ago.  However, you’ve said that you cannot do this, so I mention it for the benefit of others. 

The other way to achieve this is to leave the content where it is and then copy each collection into one super-collection. The first step is to retrieve the content from each blog collection using JSON. Next, the collections need to be synchronised and combined into one large collection. Once the data has been aggregated, the Summary Block can connect to this new collection and be filtered as required. This is complex and shouldn't be underestimated. If done incorrectly, page performance will suffer. Michael has built an excellent extension/plugin that takes care of all the difficult steps. I’d recommend checking whether this will help in your circumstances.

Hoping you and yours are safe and healthy. 

-Paul

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Archived