Force single page URL

Hey everyone, I've got an unusual situation and hopefully one of you will know how to do this or if it can even be done. I helped a friends business transfer over to squarespace recently. The site is live, everything is up and running. But we have one little thing that needs to be resolved. The business makes software that runs in LabVIEW. This software has been around for a while and one of the software products has a feature that reads a hardcoded url, a single line of text is sent back, and the software uses that to determine the software version the client is using. The original website was made back in the 90s so the web page slugs had caps, underscores and periods in them. The entire site was remapped because of this. However, the code in the software isn't picking up the redirects, nor is it parsing the information coming back from the new page properly (it's reading the header) if the new page is coded into the software. If we change the software, the clients who have earlier versions of the software receive the wrong version in the response because it's not parsing the information correctly. The old clients would get back a blank box with no errors. No good for support. So what I'm looking to do is find a way to force the old URL on the single page, and remove all the other elements from that blank page. 

I'm limited by the plan in that they don't have Javascript or code injection available. Using code injection wouldn't work to create a genuinely blank page either, because it's still reading the CSS. I need to have the page URL in this format http://www.businesswebsite.com/SOFTWARE_Current.html

Can anyone tell me if this is possible? If so what info do I need to look up (I haven't been able to find it besides information on redirects) or point me to how to do it?

Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Views 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see the issue, but this isn't something that Squarespace is designed for. 

You may be able to re-write your solution so that it can be hosted on Squarespace, but it's difficult to know as you haven't provided details of the actual domain name or code. In any case, you definitely won't be able to do this on a Personal Plan - you'd need to upgrade to a Business Plan. As a workaround I suggest you host your code with a different provider, on a standard web server. There many low-cost hosting services available that could do this and they are likely to be cheaper than upgrading to the higher plan. If you host your Squarespace site without the 'www' subdomain, you'll be able to use this subdomain for the other hosting service so that the URL remains unchanged.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

The entire site has already been rebuilt using squarespace, this was brought to my attention a week after the site went live. The domain was forwarded through GoDaddy. Tbh, the most practical way I can see this working is for their software to be updated as it's not correctly parsing the information being sent back. We've discussed switching over to a developer site or upgrading the account and these weren't something they wanted to do. I spoke with someone about having this single page on godaddy but this also required redirecting the software to read from that. What would hosting the squarespace site without the www subdomain look like? What would be involved with that (If you don't mind going into more detail)? Is what you're suggesting a mod_rewrite?

8 hours ago, NeighborhoodOverlord said:

What would hosting the squarespace site without the www subdomain look like? What would be involved with that?

See: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206541837-Removing-the-www-from-your-domain

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Archived