Making menu icon accessible on Foundry template

Site URL: http://www.voicesinthegallery.com

Hello, 

I'm new to squarespace and have a very simple site, which needs to be accessible to people using assistive technologies. However, a user recently alerted me to the fact that while I can add alt text on images, there's no readable text attached to the menu icon, making it impossible for him to access the menu of pages and, as a result, to navigate around the site beyond the landing page. I've spoken to a helpful person in Customer Care who recommended that I seek out some custom CSS here. I'd be really grateful if any of you might be able to suggest what I should do. And, apologetically, should point out that I have absolutely no coding skills. Sorry! Many thanks in advance,

Sarah

• Replies 2
  • Views 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Hey @SarahHayden,

Still having issues with this? The menu icon is actually an anchor element, so unlike an image, you can't add alt text to it. You'll want to use Javascript to add an aria-label value.

If you're interested in making your site fully accessible for people using screen readers and other assistive technologies, I'd encourage you to check out our free accessibility audit. Our team at Square ADA specializes in making Squarespace sites ADA compliant, so feel free to reach out if we can be of any help.

The above post may be outdated. I’m no longer active in the Squarespace ecosystem, so I won’t see your direct messages. For better resources about web accessibility, I’ve documented some of my thoughts on my forum profile.

Archived