Gallery categories?

How would I create sub categories in a gallery?

eg,

1. In the site menu I would have "My Photos" | "About" | "Contact"
  2. When "My Photos" is clicked you get a dropdown that has "Motorsport" | "Portrait" | "Landscape"
  3. When you click on "Motorsport" you get a page with multiple galleries "Event01" | "Event02" | "Event03" etc, etc
  4. Clicking on "Event01" would take you to the gallery with all the photos from that event

Is this possible on squarespace? Maybe I'm using the wrong template which is "Avenue". This is driving me nuts 🤣 any help would be fantastic.

Best regards,
MartyB.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use Avenue, so I know you can do what you want. That being said you have a few choices to make as to how you want this to look. So lets start from the beginning: 

Making your galleries motosports for example. As with all images, you can put them in a gallery page named event 1, even 2 and son on, gallery pages stacks the pictures, no other design choice, put those galleries in an index page. This allows you to break them up like you want, the index would have thumbnails event 1, event 2 and so on. Now you can create a page with a gallery block, that allows you to stack, slide show or carosel auto play. This page would still go into an index page just like a gallery page, you can mix and match if you wish. You create an index page for each category Portrait, Landscape whatever you want. Pay careful attention to the name you give any page you make, that Url slug is going to mean a lot. Now once all your galleries are made, (whatever method you chose to use) you have put them into an index page comes the next step. You create a folder for your nav bar. In the folder are links to the index pages. Motorsport, Portrait, etc. You click on the link that says motorsports , the index page opens up, there is a grid of thumbnails with event 1, event 2 etc, with me so far? 

Folders and links are great, you can group stuff that is "scattered" all over your site together that way including blog posts, Index pages allow pages, galleries and other stuff to be grouped with a thumbnail so it all works together. Now I wanted to tell you one thing, gallery pages stack images by default. However each gallery page has two addresses one with # and one without, the one without allows you to to go straight there from outside your site and it pops up as a slideshow and you can have a seperate description its like two pages in one. This is not something you need worry about for what you want to do, I only tell you this so you have more info before you decide to use a gallery page or a page with a gallery block. That is it, I am here if you need me and here are two Avenue sites for you to check out. Mine has a folder in it which can give you some idea of what they will do.

https://www.myrandomviews.com/ my personal site

https://www.dcmrblueridge.com/ where I live and I look after this site. 

Thank you so much Derrick, I'm not home right now but pretty sure I can follow your instructions. Can't wait to try this out. I think putting the galleries in a folder may be what I was missing. 

Cheers mate, I'll let you know how I get on đź‘Ť

Archived