Change blog post date to include year

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

22 hours ago, JeroenB said:

the date say Mar 20. I want it to say Mar 20, 2020

@JeroenB Are you referring to the date shown beside the title when a single blog post is shown (as highlighted below)? 

ss7.1-blog-post-date.png.3be715571bd2e4b1120f77e6cd978b3b.png

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• Solution

@JeroenB @rosieames I posted a quick guide to help you add the year to Squarespace 7.1 blog posts:

https://sf.digital/squarespace-solutions/date-styles-on-squarespace-71-blog-posts

Let me know how you get on.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for tackling this problem. It works like a charm on Chrome and Firefox, however it doesn't go quite right with Safari. The year shows up as NaN, see attachment. Tested it on desktop and mobile with the same results.

Also (and this is extra and nice to have) we noticed that on the blog page (https://www.snakegoddess.com/blog) the date format is off too, it says 03/20/20 instead of Mar 20, 2020 which is used on the other places in the website.

Screenshot 2020-03-25 at 13.52.48.png

Screenshot 2020-03-25 at 13.57.16.png

You're right, thanks for pointing that out. Safari doesn't parse some date formats properly. I've updated the post 😀

5 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

You're right, thanks for pointing that out. Safari doesn't parse some date formats properly. I've updated the post 😀

You are a hero! Thank you! Is it a lot of extra trouble to get the date consistent site wide? So to also change it in the /blog page? In my opinion this should be standard to begin with and it's a flaw in the squarespace 7.1 templates.

14 minutes ago, JeroenB said:

In my opinion this should be standard to begin with

I agree Squarespace's priority is (understandably) to develop enough to make it workable and I expect they'll fix these design flaws soon. 

18 minutes ago, JeroenB said:

Is it a lot of extra trouble to get the date consistent site wide?

I will follow up on your question about the other date, but it probably won't be today as I'm extremely busy.

Stay safe.

P

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 2:57 PM, paul2009 said:

I will follow up on your question about the other date, but it probably won't be today as I'm extremely busy.

Stay safe.

P

Hi Paul,

I hope you're well. Do you know a solution for the other dates yet?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 5:51 AM, ChrisBartow said:

If you can't change this easily, it should at least default to March 20, 2020. Not sure who picked the short month and day only.

Squarespace started that, so we just followed that to keep it as easy as possible. But yes, you are right.

• 6 months later...

Hey, y'all. @paul2009 especially. First, thanks for saving all of us with the custom code. Second, do you or anyone know if there's a way for it to just spell out the whole month? As a grammar nerd, it annoys me to see "Oct" and not "Oct." with the period, but could get around that if it just spelled out "October" instead. Not the end of the world, but thought I'd try asking.

Thanks, everyone!

1 hour ago, brandi_sqspace said:

As a grammar nerd, it annoys me to see "Oct" and not "Oct." with the period, but could get around that if it just spelled out "October" instead.

It should be possible 🙂. The formatting is different for the blog list and the blog posts, and it also depends on the site's region settings, so I'd need to see the site to provide specific information.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been searching for this solution and am delighted to have found it for my [business plan] website with blog posts going back years. It was crazy that on my Blog Post summary page, all the posts are identified by full date, but on each individual page, they are not. Someone scrolling through old posts can easily have no idea of the proper time context of each post. So thank you.

But . . . gotta agree with @aht, this should be included in all plans. There is no reason to limit this minuscule bit of clarity from lower tier plans.

On 3/13/2023 at 10:32 PM, aht said:

I'm new to squarespace. Do I really have to upgrade from personal to business to display the year in my blog section? From what I understand, the only way to format the date is with custom scripts. I don't understand why this is so difficult (or expensive).

Are you still in need of the solution for your personal plan?

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date format)
💫 Animated Buttons (Referral URL)
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, mondafoto said:

it worked for me and I really appreciate you posting this a few years back so that I can find it today and still be useful! Bravo!

I'm pleased it has helped you 🙂