Moving order of the blog posts

Go to solution Solved by Susana_SQSP,

Hello! 

Is it possible to move the order of the blogposts without deleting them and creating a new one? 
As in the picture, I suddently want the "YouTube" one on the bottom, to be on the top. As it gets to the far left on the blogpage. 

Is there a way or do I have to delete it and create a new one? 

-Ludvig, Norway

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 5/19/2020 at 10:06 AM, derricksrandomviews said:

Each blog post has a header and settings, go into edit mode and  there is a gear icon up in the right corner, click that and a panel opens. At the bottom of the panel is the date published. That is a link to a calendar. You click it and there you can change the date. 

is there a way to reorganize posts? I have up to 200 posts and by changing publication date, its not correctly putting them in alphabetical order.

The best way to orgainize blog posts is on a page of summary blocks pulling content from your blog with the posts grouped and filtered by category, those cats can be a, b, c, if you want. Group all the As together, they will organize themselves by pub date, but at least they would all start with A. If you use summary blocks, then you would put the actual blog page in the unlinked section of your site.. I group my posts in summary blocks by year and sometimes I group by subject, and if I have a series of blogs and want them to list in chronological order starting with  the oldest  post then I change the dates to reverse the order. It looks like I have two blog pages but I am using two pages of summary blocks.

Here is my main "blog" page which is actually a page of five summary blocks, most listed by year, but the top one is Christmas stories I have written.   

https://myrandomviews.com/blogsummary

This is another summary blog of posts on my blog, I took them out of the main summary page and gave them a page of their own with a dropdown folder of links on the Nav bar. The folder title is not desktop clickable it opens on hover or click on mobile. 

https://myrandomviews.com/blog/lessons

Edited by derricksrandomviews
  • 4 weeks later...

Derrick,

Firstly, your site is fantastic. Really pleasant to navigate and beautiful content. 

I really want to replicate your StorySummary page. I have my blog posts but I cannot find how to organise them in the way you have. I think I know how to use Summary blocks, but I do not know how to ensure that the page with Summary blocks is the go to page for my blog. I wonder if you could point me in the direction of some instructions for that please.

Hopefully I am not too garbled and have made myself clear, I am still new to this.

With thanks,

Mark.

I have attached a link to my site as I have noticed that some people are asked for this when they request help.

https://www.theacademiccoach.net/new-blog

On 1/24/2021 at 2:33 AM, TheAcademicCoach said:

Derrick,

Firstly, your site is fantastic. Really pleasant to navigate and beautiful content. 

I really want to replicate your StorySummary page. I have my blog posts but I cannot find how to organise them in the way you have. I think I know how to use Summary blocks, but I do not know how to ensure that the page with Summary blocks is the go to page for my blog. I wonder if you could point me in the direction of some instructions for that please.

Hopefully I am not too garbled and have made myself clear, I am still new to this.

With thanks,

Mark.

I have attached a link to my site as I have noticed that some people are asked for this when they request help.

https://www.theacademiccoach.net/new-blog

Have you found the solution yet?

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 5 months later...
On 3/19/2020 at 8:17 AM, Susana_SQSP said:

Hi @Ludvig

You can reorder posts in a Blog Page by changing its publication date. Check out this Squarespace help article for more specifics:

Changing blog post publication dates

I tried this but the list of blogs still ordered by actual date I created them and not by "publication date". How does one get blogs on the list to be in order of "publication date"?   Thanks.

• 6 months later...
On 3/19/2020 at 4:17 PM, Susana_SQSP said:

Hi @Ludvig

You can reorder posts in a Blog Page by changing its publication date. Check out this Squarespace help article for more specifics:

Changing blog post publication dates

Hi Susana, I'm really sorry to write in this way, but I think that if this is the only way to "manually change" the blog posts order, SquareSpace must be ashamed. No featured blog posts? No switch between manual and auto order? In 2022 this is unacceptable, I'm sorry. This feature is like the basic of the basic of basic of any blog management tool.

The more I see these issues, the more I think I've made a mistake to be in SquareSpace.

Actually there is a featured blog option. I use it in a summary block. It is a post toggle and when turned on it pops up in the block. As far as manual and auto order, once again that does mean adjusting the date published, which I have no issue using. I don't display the date on my posts, so the date published simply becomes an order on the page tool for me. 

Thank you Derrick, yes I see that there's a featured blog option, but it cannot be used in most of the situation, like mine.

Honestly I'm a little bit embarrassed to having to explain that concept: here the problem is not that "it's possible to find a way changing the published date" and that you have no problem because you don't display the date on your blog. Here the point is "why I have to use this crazy method while every other blog platform on the planet simply use a separate index???". When you reach your future date you have to change again every date published to have the order that you need? How long is the process to change every single published date instead of DRAG AND DROP on a simple list of post in the backend?

I'm happy that "this is not so bad" to you, but to me this is unreal. I can't believe that in 2022 a leading Company like SS develop a guide to change the date of a blog post and indicate that to reorder the posts on the main page. This is completely absurd.

Hope to not hurt anyone, but this is crazy to me.

• 6 months later...

Personally I think an option to order posts alphabetically would be good, or order by category or assign a priority number, anything other than having to change the date. I do that but as pointed out I don't display the date because it becomes a bit meaningless. If I want the actual date of publication to appear I add it to that post as part of the content.