Setting up USPS First Class shipping

Hi. 

Can someone who has successfully set up USPS First Class shipping guide me on how to set it up in shipping options? Would this fall under Flat Rate or By Weight? I will only have 2 variations of 1 product to start, so the weight of the item and package will roughly be the same always, and I will mainly be selling throughout my county, with the possibility of shipping to other states. 

My question is, does the calculated label price in ShipStation determine the order fee If I were to choose the Flat Rate category? If the First Class shipping price is based on shipping zones, is it ethical to calculate a label price from the smallest to the largest shipping zone (say Virginia to California) and set that as the default order fee for everyone?

Currently on a Commerce Basic Plan, any insight would be welcomed. 

-br

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 12
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, Luxcups and anyone else who might be able to offer insight!

Someone asked this question above, but I didn't see the answer. How do you get rid of the infinity option. Essentially I am trying to offer USPS First Class Shipping for only up to 13 ounces (0.81 lbs). Then I don't want the option to be available for anything more than that. And yet if I offer up to 13 ounces as, say, $5.50, then it will automatically offer another option of 0.82 to infinity and you are required to enter a price. As a result, if someone buys TWO bags of coffee (more than 24 ounces), then USPS first class mail will still show up as an option. I want to have this option available for only items UNDER 13 ounces.

Thanks for your insight!

Caitlin

• 4 months later...

Has anybody resolved this?

I currently offer USPS Priority express for US, CA and EU as the only option. All my current products are over 1lb and a good fit for this.

I wish to offer some smaller low cost items so wish to offer USPS First Class for all shipments <16Oz for US only. But that darn infinity symbol makes it impossible to make this work.

For orders <1lb ideally they can still select USPS Priority at the higher rate, I just want to offer a default lower rate.

I realize I could put the USPS Priority rate in for 1lb - infinity but then the customer would assume it was going first class and not Priority which is misleading and inaccurate.

How do I set this up?

Squarespace you seriously need to get on this. Either add First Class Shipping as an option in your "Carrier Calculated via USPS" shipping or give us the option to limit the weight in your "Depending on Weight" shipping. How have you not done both of these already?

How do we get their attention?

4 hours ago, JohnMillea said:

How do we get their attention?

To request a feature or report a bug, please contact Squarespace Customer CareSquarespace doesn’t track requests and reports in this forum. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 7 months later...
On 7/31/2021 at 9:24 AM, Hawker said:

Has anybody resolved this?

I currently offer USPS Priority express for US, CA and EU as the only option. All my current products are over 1lb and a good fit for this.

I wish to offer some smaller low cost items so wish to offer USPS First Class for all shipments <16Oz for US only. But that darn infinity symbol makes it impossible to make this work.

For orders <1lb ideally they can still select USPS Priority at the higher rate, I just want to offer a default lower rate.

I realize I could put the USPS Priority rate in for 1lb - infinity but then the customer would assume it was going first class and not Priority which is misleading and inaccurate.

How do I set this up?

Hi! I'm new to squarespace and so I'm still learning shipping - I have had to manually calculate everything for my own site (rates/weight/zone, different rates between ups ground, usps priority, and usps first-class). But like Hawker, (who I quoted above), I wanted to know what others have done for the same issue.

When it comes to USPS first-class, it is perfect for less than a pound shipping (I sell jewelry), but I couldn't decide what to do for the last 'tier,' where there is an infinity symbol. I thought to make it an outrageous price, since 1lbs to infinity lbs would be covered by my other shipping options and is not available for first-class USPS shipping. But essentially, I was thinking that if there is an outrageous shipping cost for 1lbs to above lbs, it might hopefully prevent people from selecting that option, at least, just for that tier.

Has anyone else done that or is there a better solution out there??? I only have the basic commerce plan, and I might eventually upgrade, but since I am starting out I don't need it right now. Just curious if anyone has discovered a way to either get rid of the last option always having the 'infinity lbs' (for this weight depending shipping option with USPS (First-class)) or does anyone have an acceptable alternative. I don't want to mislead my customers and have them mistaken that tier of over 1lbs as a first-class legitimate shipping option, because it's not.

Cheers!

🙂

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I just contacted Customer Care about this same issue, I thought I was the only one.  Their answer is that they don't have a way to get rid of the infinity symbol.  I see people have been asking about this in this post for 3 years now and still Squarespace hasn't fixed this.  I don't know what to do to set up shipping.  Am I going to have to calculate each weight as if for First Class and do the same for another shipping option with Priority?  The person checking out will see, example First Class $8.00 and Priority $8.00.  But doing about 14 different weights and costs for two different shipping options for every state seems completely absurd and extremely time consuming.  Has anyone figured out a way around this?

• 1 month later...

I sure wish I'd checked this forum before I paid for my site.  It looks like shipping via USPS first class is impossible and that is what most of my products require.  I've contacted customer service and all I got was its not possible to put text in the field where the shipping price should go and no way to force a customer to pick another option when they go over the largest weight you have set up.  What a joke.

On 3/22/2023 at 5:54 PM, Deen said:

I sure wish I'd checked this forum before I paid for my site.  It looks like shipping via USPS first class is impossible and that is what most of my products require.  I've contacted customer service and all I got was its not possible to put text in the field where the shipping price should go and no way to force a customer to pick another option when they go over the largest weight you have set up.  What a joke.

SAME. I have site version 7.0 and the amount of workarounds I have to do to make anything on my website work easily is a nightmare. I wish I'd signed up with shopify. This first class issue is still a mess. Customer service isn't great with feature requests either.