where are summary blocks in 7.1?

Just now, derricksrandomviews said:

They exist in blog pages and blog pages can be added to other pages, so some folks are putting a summary in a blog, then posting that content to another page. If is a bit convoluted but it works.

Oooo interesting~ how do you add a blog page to  another page?

As I understand it, As long as your new page is not a gallery or portfolio page, you can use a summary block and pull the blog post with the summary  you made. Does that make sense at all?  Content link may seem like the easiest way, but a content  block only gives a title no thumbnails, so that is not going to work, too bad, cause I use content links with thumbnails a lot in 7.0

Edited by derricksrandomviews
2 minutes ago, derricksrandomviews said:

As long as your new page is not a gallery or portfolio page, you can use a summary block and pull the blog post with the summary  you made. Does that make sense at all?  Content link may seem like the easiest way, but a content  block only gives a title no thumbnails, so that is not going to work, too bad, cause I use content links with thumbnails a lot in 7.0

That Makes sense, however I cannot find Summary Block in the insert menu in 7.1 at all

Where do I locate it?

Capture.JPG

6 hours ago, derricksrandomviews said:

I think you need to add a blank page first, then edit that page to add a block. Unfortunately I am not all that familiar with 7.1 yet so we are coming to the solution together for this issue. 

6 hours ago, annahahn1993 said:

That Makes sense, however I cannot find Summary Block in the insert menu in 7.1 at al

Where do I locate it?

SS 7.1 doesn't support Gallery Block in PAGE.

It only supports on Blog Post.

To bring back Gallery Block, you can use this plugin. I'm using it on 2 sites.

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

On 3/12/2020 at 11:49 PM, tuanphan said:

SS 7.1 doesn't support Gallery Block in PAGE.

It only supports on Blog Post.

To bring back Gallery Block, you can use this plugin. I'm using it on 2 sites.

Can you please clarify something for me- I do not want to use gallery block I don't think unless I misunderstand what gallery block is

I simply want to put a summary block that shows my most recent blog posts on another page in 7.1

How do I do this?

Thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2020 at 8:27 PM, annahahn1993 said:

Can you please clarify something for me- I do not want to use gallery block I don't think unless I misunderstand what gallery block is

I simply want to put a summary block that shows my most recent blog posts on another page in 7.1

How do I do this?

Thank you!!

It is a strange thing right? I am just exploring 7.1 and using Merida, which actually has a Summary block on the blog page. You just can not seem to add one to your own page, blog page or not. Because it simply is not available as a section when you click on +. Have you found a solution already?

EE619E60-F48A-4763-B767-1ADE7F080CB7.jpeg

The only possible  solution that I have seen posted is having two completely separate blogs  with a summary in the second with content from the first. This  is the only work around with 7.1 to have a blog summary on a separate page.  You simply think of the second blog as a separate Page with one post, that post having  a  summary block or blocks if needed. .   The only other option is to use 7.0 which allows summary blocks to be used on a standard page. Like my personal site:

https://www.myrandomviews.com/storysummary

From what I have gathered here, 7.1 is a very good template to work with as long as you don't want to move out of the box it puts you in. A 7.0 template gives you a lot more flexibility, but that is also a box that you have to stay in, can't move to another template,  but you can change that box a lot. 

On 3/24/2020 at 1:18 AM, derricksrandomviews said:

The only possible  solution that I have seen posted is having two completely separate blogs  with a summary in the second with content from the first. This  is the only work around with 7.1 to have a blog summary on a separate page.  You simply think of the second blog as a separate Page with one post, that post having  a  summary block or blocks if needed. .   The only other option is to use 7.0 which allows summary blocks to be used on a standard page. Like my personal site:

https://www.myrandomviews.com/storysummary

From what I have gathered here, 7.1 is a very good template to work with as long as you don't want to move out of the box it puts you in. A 7.0 template gives you a lot more flexibility, but that is also a box that you have to stay in, can't move to another template,  but you can change that box a lot. 

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes with 7.0 you are quite flexible to use whatever section on random pages. But even if you have two blogs in 7.1. you only have the summary block from the demo blog page (in my trial from Merida) and you can't create it on the blog page with posts that you have made yourself.

So you have to build on the demo page which is no problem if you have no posts yet and can start from scratch. Then actually you can make the blog page into anything you want. If you do have a few posts that you have imported, I can't see a workaround.

Merida summary.png

1 hour ago, derricksrandomviews said:

If I am correct the only content you can put in a summary in 7.1 is content from blogs, which happens to be what most want. The way to get to the summary block appears to be a level deeper than 7.0. Thanks for posting that, changes things a bit, no need for the blog to blog "method" which is a bit cumbersome to say the least. 

As far as I can see indeed blogs. And that was exactly what annahahn1993 (like myself) was looking for. 🙂

• 1 month later...

This has been one of the most frustrating changes Squarespace has made. Wow. You can only create galleries as a section and can't manipulate it in any way. The lack of flexibility with this tool really makes me question why I should use it. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/16/2020 at 9:21 AM, derricksrandomviews said:

Create a  new second blog page add your first blog summary block to that second blog, put the first blog into unlinked section. Its the only way I can think to fake it to make it so to speak. 

Hi Derrick - thank you very much for your suggestion to put the blog page into the unlinked section - and to use categories such as "year" to display content into the summary block - works brilliantly. One further question - how do I shade the thumbnail (and title) container - I'm using version 7.1 and the blog thumbnail in grid format is on a white background - I can change the background colour of the block but wanted to know how to change the container colour, if possible. Your suggestions are great, thank you!

16 hours ago, derricksrandomviews said:

Do you want these changes on hover? Or all the time?

Similar to your site (you had a link in the comments above) and how your blog grid appears - thumbnail and title/excerpt container shaded differently to the block background. Many thanks!

Here is the code for my summary page, remember you can change any of the colors the #numbers. This code changes the read more link to a button, adds drop shadows to the thumbnail/excerpts. 

// DB Summary Block Design //

.sqs-block-summary-v2 .summary-item {
  background-color: #ffffff;
  border-radius: 5px;
  -webkit-box-shadow: 0px 0px 15px rgba(100, 100, 100, 0.1) !important;
  -moz-box-shadow: 0px 0px 15px rgba(100, 100, 100, 0.1) !important;
  box-shadow: 0px 0px 15px rgba(100, 100, 100, 0.1) !important;
}

// DB Summary Content Padding //

.sqs-block-summary-v2 .summary-item .summary-content {
    padding: 20px 40px 20px 40px;
}

// DB Summary Block Button //

.sqs-block-summary-v2 .summary-item-record-type-text .summary-read-more-link {
  display: inline-block;
  margin-top: 10px;
  background: linear-gradient(to right, #F07C63, #E45372);
  color: white;
  border: 0px solid white;
  border-radius: 50px;
  padding: 10px 20px;
}

This is a couple of changes I made to the thumbnails and summary titles, you can adjust the font side and the degree of opacity:

img.summary-thumbnail-image.loaded:hover {
 opacity: 0.8;
 }

.summary-title-link {
    font-family: proxima-nova, serif;
    font-size: 16px;
}

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize if this has already been notated.

Version 7.1 

I'm able to display Summary content on a page (I'm using a home page) via a gallery block on another page feeding the blogged content.

Create a Blog Page Style
Create a blog post. (Only add a Title so you can differentiate between posts
Click on the cog on the top right of the blog post
Click on Options
Add content to the EXCERPT 

Save

Add a Gallery Block to a page and choose your blog as your feed

Also if you want to use this as I am then you need to adjust some Gallery Block settings

I'm not showing the Blog post title because I just need to display these on another page and I don't want to link a blog post.

Annotation 2020-08-14 123321.png

Add content to Excerpt.png

Annotation 2020-08-14 123920.png

Annotation 2020-08-14 124519.png

Annotation 2020-08-14 124600.png

Edited by ShaneGardner
  • 2 weeks later...

What are the tangible benefits of using a Gallery/Portfolio page vs Blog? I'm struggling with the Gallery summary setup too, why did Squarespace take that away? 

I'm really considering just having all my photos in a blog and I don't know how dumb of a move that will prove to be.