increase maximum number of posts shown on blog page?

• Replies 9
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What template are you using? You can create a summary page using  summary blocks in 7.0 (seems to not work in 7.1) which allows you to thumbnail all blog posts on a single page.  It may take more than one summary block on the page due to a max amount of posts per block but you string the blocks together.  Like this: 

https://www.myrandomviews.com/storysummary 

(there are different grid layouts you can choose from)

One you build the summary page,  move the blog page to un-linked, so it is not on the nav bar, the summary page takes its place.

I have read somewhere that if you are using 7.1, the workaround for no summary blocks in pages is  you create a second blog with one post  and put your summary blocks there with content from you original blog posts. However it only imports the title of the blog, and you will need to add an image and description, if I understand how it works (or doesn't work) correctly. 7.0 still has more to offer to those who want more control over the design of their site, in my opinion. 

If you want help doing this in 7.0 let me know, and I will be glad to assist here

Edited by derricksrandomviews
4 hours ago, derricksrandomviews said:

What template are you using? You can create a summary page using  summary blocks in 7.0 (seems to not work in 7.1) which allows you to thumbnail all blog posts on a single page.  It may take more than one summary block on the page due to a max amount of posts per block but you string the blocks together.  Like this: 

https://www.myrandomviews.com/storysummary 

(there are different grid layouts you can choose from)

One you build the summary page,  move the blog page to un-linked, so it is not on the nav bar, the summary page takes its place.

I have read somewhere that if you are using 7.1, the workaround for no summary blocks in pages is  you create a second blog with one post  and put your summary blocks there with content from you original blog posts. However it only imports the title of the blog, and you will need to add an image and description, if I understand how it works (or doesn't work) correctly. 7.0 still has more to offer to those who want more control over the design of their site, in my opinion. 

If you want help doing this in 7.0 let me know, and I will be glad to assist here

Thank you so much for this- this is extremely helpful to know!!

I would love your help in figuring out how to do this in 7.0 - thank you!!

How do I go about making the second summary block display the next batch of posts? ie- if the maximum blog posts in a grid is 30-

The first summary block contains posts 1-30

How do I make the second do 31-61

The third do 62-72

fourth do 73-103

etc etc?

You group them together by category which allows you, using summary block filters under the summary settings display tab,  to choose that category in the summary block. Blog posts can have multiple categories each and you don't have to display the cat on the summary post if you don't want. I gave each original blog post category a year like 2019, and the summary puts them in order of date published. If I have more with the same year than a summary will take then I give it a number like 2018-1 for the first 30,  2018-2 for the next and so on.  You can make it as simple as you want, first 1-to 30 would all be cat 1 second set 31 to 61 cat 2 so on. I choose to use the year post was published mostly for my own benefit. You set this up by editing the page settings for each blog post, down at the bottom of the window you will see category with a + sign next to it. Just click and give it a cat. It takes a bit of time but simple with each new post going forward. 

Edited by derricksrandomviews
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello! This thread was very helpful in getting me started. Thank you Derrick for your thorough response.

I added another summary block to my blog page, and added the categories "2018" and "2019" to the filter. I got five of the blogs to show, but the other ones I added the category to randomly aren't showing. I have the summary block set to show 30 items. Is there something I may be missing here? Thanks in advance. 

Here is my blog page for reference: https://www.cairnleadership.com/adventure-blog

• 2 months later...

Issue if you are using categories to filter posts
I tried using a summary block for a blog page but if user clicks on one of the associated categories (if you show them in summary metadata), then it links to the actual blog page with filtered category -- NOT the page with summary block -- so that is a problem. So I ended up going back to the regular blog page. If anyone knows if there is way to work with summary and metadata links properly, please let me know.

2 hours ago, pmeiselman said:

If anyone knows if there is way to work with summary and metadata links properly, please let me know.

Please provide a link to the page where the Summary Block exists.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

I assume you mean the category being displayed at the top of a 7.1 blog post?  You click on it and it goes to all the other posts in a list not the summary block. 7.0 does not have an option to display category in a post if I want to visitors to see all the other posts with the same category I would have to have a link on the post, either text or button. If I made one it would do the same thing jump to a list of those posts not go to the summary page, but I have a work around for that. I put all my summary blocks in a second blog. Each post is a seperate category (and there can be more than one block in the post of course) and I don't display the category on the summary block itselt so that the button does the work so to speak. I don't use this workaround because for all my posts there is a back to the main story page button where there is a search dropdown for my categories (which could be a sidebar) but I have set one up for you to look at here:

https://myrandomviews.com/storyarchive/category/Cruising+first+and+last

You will see the cat being displayed which does take you to the blog list. But if you click on the first story scroll down to the bottom you will see the cat button.