Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search

Custom Code - Help adding a Quick Disguised Exit button to my site (Brine template)

SG2

Question

On 7/29/2021 at 1:08 PM, creedon said:

That step may have not been explicitly mentioned. Us programmer types may have inferred that from this thread.

Sorry @aeperri, that's exactly right... I didn't include the Jquery library script because I had already loaded it for other purposes. I sometimes forget to add it to posts like this! I'm SO GLAD you were able to figure it out!

Site URL: https://www.dvpi.org/

I saw other posts on this topic but am not sure how to execute what Paul2009 is describing. My client would like an "EXIT" button with similar functionality to what is shown on the following site: https://www.journeyneo.org/ The EXIT button on the Journey site opens a new tab to a site (weather.com) and replaces the original Journey site with a different URL (google.com) that then doesn't return to Journey when you hit back. The Journey site appears to be a Squarespace site, when I inspected the EXIT button, I see lots of Squarespace references and the announcement bar at the top looks like Squarespace. 

1 hour ago, SpanerMktg said:

I saw other posts on this topic but am not sure how to execute what Paul2009 is describing.

Hi @SpanerMktg. The site you've mentioned is using the exact solution that I proposed. Which part are you having difficulties following?

About Paul: Circle Community Leader who values honesty, transparency, respect and appreciation ♥.
Work: Squarespace Expert and founder of 
SF Digital, a company dedicated to improving Squarespace websites by building the features Squarespace didn't include™. See our range of extensions for Squarespace to improve your store.
Content: Links in my posts may refer to SF Digital products or may be affiliate links.

@paul2009 I guess where to put the code as it relates to my button. Right now I have my EXIT button in the secondary navigation - not sure where all that code goes. Or is your solution not using a button in the navigation. I apologize - I'm just a graphic designer trying to do this web thing.  127053281_ScreenShot2022-03-29at11_56_25AM.thumb.png.0af87a5ded5c58e876a9da2fd51cbb50.png

On 3/29/2022 at 4:59 PM, SpanerMktg said:

I guess where to put the code as it relates to my button.

You could use a Squarespace button but, as seen on your site, the button will scroll out of reach when the header disappears out of view, and this makes it more difficult for the user to quickly mask their browsing.

The solution I described used a button that was generated in the code. This allowed it to be placed in a fixed position within the browser, even when the user scrolled - just like the example you've quoted. You can achieve this by placing the code in the Code Injection area of the site and then adding the CSS to style the button and fix its position.

About Paul: Circle Community Leader who values honesty, transparency, respect and appreciation ♥.
Work: Squarespace Expert and founder of 
SF Digital, a company dedicated to improving Squarespace websites by building the features Squarespace didn't include™. See our range of extensions for Squarespace to improve your store.
Content: Links in my posts may refer to SF Digital products or may be affiliate links.

43 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

You could use a Squarespace button but, as seen on your site, the button will scroll out of reach when the header disappears out of view, and this makes it more difficult for the user to quickly mask their browsing.

The solution I described used a button that was generated in the code. This allowed it to be placed in a fixed position within the browser, even when the user scrolled - just like the example you've quoted. You can achieve this by placing the code in the Code Injection area of the site and then adding the CSS to style the button and fix its position.

Got it (i think). I was able to get the full width at the top to work - now it is a matter of styling and positioning it (in Design > Custom CSS). Thanks so much.