Can I change the product type?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It's a pain but if you have alot of products to change it's worth downloading csv file and updating that way.

1. download file

2. import into Google Sheets (trust me on this)

3. delete product id, variant id, and product url data (not headers)

4. find and replace PHYSICAL with SERVICE

5. Download new csv

6. import into squarespace

You will now have new items but also the old ones.

Now you need to change inventory of old csv to 0 and upload those. Will make easier to identify old ones to delete.

• 1 year later...
33 minutes ago, candodigital said:

Can I change it to digital?

Once a product is created its type can not be changed.

Although I'm not 100% certain it appears that SS doesn't allow the import or export of digital products. I just tested trying to export a digital product and SS refused so it seems likely the import is not allowed as well.

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000378108-Importing-products-from-a-csv#toc-import-products-from-a-different-platform

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

46 minutes ago, candodigital said:

Can I change [a physical product] to digital?

No, you cannot change a product's type.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 months later...
On 6/15/2022 at 1:50 PM, creedon said:

Once a product is created its type can not be changed.

Although I'm not 100% certain it appears that SS doesn't allow the import or export of digital products. I just tested trying to export a digital product and SS refused so it seems likely the import is not allowed as well.

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000378108-Importing-products-from-a-csv#toc-import-products-from-a-different-platform

thank you.  this is so dumb.  i am really struggling with squarespace.  

On 3/24/2021 at 11:40 PM, blueflymedia said:

It's a pain but if you have alot of products to change it's worth downloading csv file and updating that way.

1. download file

2. import into Google Sheets (trust me on this)

3. delete product id, variant id, and product url data (not headers)

4. find and replace PHYSICAL with SERVICE

5. Download new csv

6. import into squarespace

You will now have new items but also the old ones.

Now you need to change inventory of old csv to 0 and upload those. Will make easier to identify old ones to delete.

i can't find any of those headers.  I opened my shopify csv file in sheets and searched for those titles and I don't see any of them.  I tried to import digital files from shopify to squarespace and they all came in as physical.  ty