Squarespace 7.1: is there a way to duplicate portfolio collection?

As a SS user who is learning as I go, I am both reassured by this forum that I'm not missing something basic, and CANNOT believe there is no functionality to duplicate a Portfolio. This seems like a pretty basic request, and one that users have been making for a long time now. I would also appreciated the option to hide or password protect individual pages within a Portfolio so that you can leave the up-to-date ones live while you add new content, without having to hide the whole portfolio. Come on, Squarespace!

Edited by the_infinitive
Spelling
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am also requesting to be able to duplicate the portfolio-page (not just sub-pages), when some of my clients wants to have part of their portfolio on the home page, and then just all collected projects on another one. We need this to be updated! Please. 
I feel like the portfolio-part of Squarespace isn't really being updated, I would also like to be able to put a Pinterest-pin on all the pictures in my sub-pages, and its possible everywhere BUT on my sub-pages...

7 hours ago, EbbaHar said:

Please. 
I feel like the portfolio-part of Squarespace isn't really being updated

Unfortunately SS has a tendency to not go back in to previous features released and update after they reach a v1.0 or less.

It's hard to keep your job or impress you boss, stockholders, and the public when talking about improving existing features and fixing low level issues that people have no clue about. So SS ends up moving on and not look back. This situation is not unique to SS. It is the world we have created. New shiney bobbles sell products.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 month later...

Ah, yet another unhappy customer here.

I built out my homepage using the portfolio template. In hindsight, a horrible mistake. A simple solution for me would have been to duplicate this page and strip out of the portfolio section to maintain the rest of the homepage layout and styling. unfortunately this is still not possible, which means I'll have to build that home page again and then repurpose this portfolio page to house my work. 

p.s. Squarespace, if you are listening and plan to make this happen -  it would be nice to have a block to call back to a set number of "featured" portfolio items. this was my original plan for my homepage before I discovered this missing ability. 

🤞 please make this happen

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/22/2023 at 6:11 PM, CooksBay said:

Also, you can't link to a project inside a portfolio when trying to link to a "Page." I had to grab the actual full URL and do a web link. 

You can click a Project > Then click an Arrow on top right (or top left) of screen > Squarespace will open new tab > Look at browser address bar, you will see real project url

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Why is it still, in 2023 when we have gone past our own solar system, not possible to duplicate portfolio pages in Squarespace.  Is it some kind of cruel joke?  Because if you could, wouldn't it be easy to add them to different member areas, instead of having to rebuild, or at best "favorite" them as some clunky work-around?  

I'm just sayin -- it's 2023.  Cloning portfolio pages to reuse is literally low hanging fruit of feature updates.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2022 at 6:41 AM, DV2 said:

Just throwing in my agreement that Portfolios could benefit from two features:

1) The ability to duplicate a portfolio (to maintain styling etc. when adding a new portfolio)

2) The ability to add pagination at say 10, 40, 100 items to exceed the 40-item limit.

Curious why this still hasn't been looked at seriously -- after years and years?  

On 6/2/2023 at 2:05 PM, Meeeee said:

Cloning portfolio pages to reuse is literally low hanging fruit of feature updates.

It's because SS doesn't keep the flash going by picking the low hanging fruit.

SS needs to impress it's executives, board of directors, and investors to keep making the dough. Also you don't impress your bosses and keep your job by saying we should fix broken things from years ago. You need to show them your flash or you'll be replaced by somebody that can. Most of the powers that be in a company don't have a real clue about how it is for their customers to use their products. They don't have to use them, they have people for that.

SS is not alone in this. Welcome to corporate America!

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

2 hours ago, Meeeee said:

I guess what I meant was that if @squarespace was really interested in making small improvements everyday, they would pick some of these really important time saving fruits!

I wish they would!

Some companies manage to focus these unglamorous fixes as part of their normal workflow. Again they usually aren't high priority compared to the flash but they realize that getting to some of these pain points actually makes customers have a better overall experience and feeling about the product.

I think the issue with SS is that their flow is based on flash first, then fix the most squeaky wheels next. I think the portfolio duplication issue just hasn't been squeaky enough.

• 1 month later...

Definitely think that currently portfolios are very limiting.

It would be great to have:

1) - a global project section - when you make a project it can be a blog OR portfolio in style,  you just need to assign it a tag. That project can then be duplicated, it can be given different tags to assign it to different groups or collections if you want to move it around. The blogs vs portfolios seem quite similar, with limiting factors for both. if they were combined to just be a project, it would give so many more options and control.

For example - example: you want to add all photography but give them different tags (portrait, landscape, travel, wedding etc) so when you want to make a portfolio just for weddings, you have the ability to filter and add only wedding photography. It would be efficient and only pull in everything you have assigned wedding. You could make niche collections and take it further with more tags. 

2) Have a portfolio filter visible option - so on a portfolio, people can see the different filters and click on the one they want. (eg travel, weddings etc)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have not found a solution but saving sections is a slightly quicker workaround to duplicate portfolio projects to a new portfolio/project. I'm sure most people have figured that out by now...

Hoping Squarespace adds the duplication function to portfolio and projects at some point as well as options to increase project limit.

• 2 weeks later...

Confirming feature still not added. Curious if others have plug- in hacks that are working?

My best one so far is going to the portfolio item you want to transfer to another page, and hitting the heart (favorite) on each block, then creating a new blank portfolio page where you want it to live and adding blocks via favorites individually. Time intensive, but actually works. 

Good luck out there ya'll

• 4 weeks later...

Come on  Squarespace , this is a must for people who rely on making multiple Portfolio galleries . 

1- When needing to make multiple portfolio pages with same format, which we can edit / replace the content is so basic. 

2- We often need to reformat / update the gallery layout & design to test different options , either  for myself or at a client's request  - And we need to be able to show and compare the options. 

3- This also seems similar to an infuriating legacy from SQp7 where you could not duplicate image galleries . 

4- Squarespace, you need to understand visual creators needs (along with being able to mix stills and videos) 

• 1 month later...

Same! As a creative with a growing portfolio, the item limit and being unable to separate out into individual portfolios is ridiculous. Even if we could duplicate an existing portfolio and edit it would be a great help!