Escape Button / Leave this site - functionality on Squarespace

Site URL: http://www.skeivverden.no

Hi,

In the navigation field we have a button which functions as an escape button for people who are in vulnerable positions and dont want anyone seeing that they are visiting an LGBT website. The button redirects the user to google.com.

My question is if it is possible to delete browser history as well, so that it wont show that our website has been visited. Is there a CSS code for this?

Thank you!

• Replies 1
  • Views 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, paudub said:

My question is if it is possible to delete browser history

You cannot delete browser history programmatically. But there are other things that you could try. 

• You could encourage visitors to open the website using a private or incognito window as these will not log browsing history. 
  • When your escape button is pressed, you may want to redirect to a page with lots of content, like a news or weather page in your country. An empty search page looks very suspicious and invites the question, what were you searching for?
  • If someone walks in and presses the browser back button, they'll be taken straight to your website. It's better to open the link in a new tab so that there is no history in the tab. The back button will do nothing in these circumstances. 
  • Opening the window in a new tab, means that there will be another tab in the browser. If someone notices the other tab, they may click on it and see your website. You can add some further protection by changing the page being shown on this tab too, using some JavaScript. If done correctly, this will replace your website URL on the original page with something like your blank search page, and the code won't add a browser history item.
  • Bear in mind also that reaching a small button in the far corner of the website may be easy to reach on a tablet, but it may not be so quick or easy to reach with a computer mouse. It may be wise to add a keypress event to this 'button' too, so that someone could hit the Escape key on their keyboard (or something similar) to invoke the action.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Archived