Background video does not loop smoothly

I'm trying to use a background video (hosted on YouTube) on a 7.1 site. However, every time the clip loops, there is a momentary flicker to black (sometimes one, sometimes two or three times) before the video starts playing again. This is obviously very distracting and not a great experience.

It also flashes up the YouTube chrome (logo, share links, video title) most times around. This happens both on the desktop (Safari) and on mobile (iPhone).

Has anyone else come across this probably, and have any suggestions?

You can see it in action here -- https://artemis-college.squarespace.com/performances (password: beetroot)

Edited by sph
  • 6 months later...
1 hour ago, David_S said:

I’m using a paid Vimeo plan for hosting videos and see the flicker in Safari on macOS

What’s the site?

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

1 hour ago, David_S said:

small glitch on repeat in Safari here (v 12.1.2)

I see an issue too on 13.1.2. At the end of the video, the banner goes black before it loops, whereas on Chrome the video image freezes unobtrusively and then loops.

I try to avoid video banners because they are fraught with compatibility issues, but if there's no choice I typically:

• Use Vimeo for longer videos (10-40 second)
  • Use MP4 for short videos
  • Code it so that the video stops after playing once, showing the fallback image.

YouTube is practically unusable for banner videos and I'd prefer it if Squarespace didn't perpetuate the illusion that YouTube is suitable for banner videos.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
4 minutes ago, suzanne.clements said:

I'm using the Squarespace hosted video and it has the same problem

Please share the site's public password so that we can take a look.