They did not just removed parallax scrolling in 7.1 did they?

Been trying to "work" the parallax option for an hour only to discover after some frustration that the new update does not support it. Please tell me this is false. Unless, is there another way I am unaware of? Such a shame Squarespace. Taking out one of the best aesthetic features (in my opinion) and honestly the only reason I used Squarespace in the first place. Seems as the company are adding more restrictions deliberately to make them less unique from their competitors. Great.

Edit: Have decided to switch from this platform.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 22
  • Views 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow.. I've just signed up for SquareSpace with my first site.. seems like 7.1 if half-baked. I'm pretty frustrated with reduced features on a newer version. 

If they'd asked when I signed up "would you like to have fewer features for the same price.. BUT IT'S A NEWER VERSION"... I'd have said.. No, fool.. i don't want that. SMH!

• 3 weeks later...

Still, 7.0 is very good. The Brine Template is good, one of the best. Nothing says you have to use 7.1. Me, I was in Telecom software development for years, a beta tester for EA and .1 was never my favorite thing to use no matter if it was software or Firmware. I don't think 7.1 is really 8.0 if you know what I mean. That will come at some point I am sure. 

• 1 month later...

I'm so embarrassed that I assumed Squarespace would make 7.1 better than 7.0. Why is it so dumbed-down? Why would they remove so many popular features (e.g., PARALLAX SCOLL) that 7.0 had? I used my client's credit card to subscribe to 1 year, only to realize that you can't switch from 7.1 to 7.0 without canceling the entire thing and re-purchasing. Squarespace's leadership needs replaced. This is a deal-breaker. It's been a nice 5 years, Squarespace, but I'm out. 

I have taken a different attitude to 7.1 then I had when it first came out. I see now 7.1 is a streamlined "version" of 7.0 based on the Brine Family, which is a great template, one of the best anywhere. 7.1 is very mobile view driven, and it makes it easier for people to build their own site as opposed to hiring someone.  This just shows that 7.0 and 7.1 are for two different groups of site builders. That is not a bad thing in my opinion. You want a bigger box of design tools, a choice of template families that are very unique from each other, then 7.0 is the way to go. If you want a good looking site, for both desktop and mobile, emphasis on the latter, want to change the look of it one day, freshen it up,  without a lot of trouble, then 7.1 is the way to go. 

It seems to me that there is no real reason to get upset that 7.1 doesn't have all the features of 7.0, when 7.0 is still on the shelf. You have not lost parallax scrolling and other features, they are still there and  available to you at no additional charge.  The most important thing is to know the differences between 7.0 and 7.1  before you start to build a new site, either an additional one or your first one here on Squarespace. 

I understand the frustration, I didn't know about the whole 7.0 vs 7.1 thing when I signed up either. And the whole "you can downgrade by cancelling your account and getting a refund and resigning up" thing.... 

but! good news.

Adding parallax in 7.1 is easy. Just follow this guide:

https://schwartz-edmisten.com/blog/how-to-add-parallax-to-squarespace-7-1

So far I've been able to make all the changes I needed (other than to the store checkout, but thats a different story) using JS and CSS, just means jumping through a couple hoops. After looking at some 7.0 sites, actually, I'm glad I went with 7.1 even if some things require a bit more work.

On 4/25/2020 at 4:08 PM, YourePerfect said:

I understand the frustration, I didn't know about the whole 7.0 vs 7.1 thing when I signed up either. And the whole "you can downgrade by cancelling your account and getting a refund and resigning up" thing.... 

but! good news.

Adding parallax in 7.1 is easy. Just follow this guide:

https://schwartz-edmisten.com/blog/how-to-add-parallax-to-squarespace-7-1

So far I've been able to make all the changes I needed (other than to the store checkout, but thats a different story) using JS and CSS, just means jumping through a couple hoops. After looking at some 7.0 sites, actually, I'm glad I went with 7.1 even if some things require a bit more work.

I found this code makes my image quality poor. Anyone find another work around or have a code fix to avoid the blurring of images?

18 hours ago, derricksrandomviews said:

Brine, with parallax scrolling built in,  is a great template with 45  template designs in the family, why even worry but 7.1? It is for first time builders and folks who want a nice looking, easier to build site,  optimized for mobile viewing. 

OP has moved off of Squarespace I think. I will answer this question from my own experience though - I started off making a free account found a template I thought would be a reasonable starting point. Made a couple prototype pages, said "ok this platform is reasonable for what I want to do".

Singed up for a paid account. Said to myself "ok now I will check out a couple other themes now that I know what the platform can do" and BOOM well that doesn't work because I signed up using a theme that was on 7.1 and you can't switch themes without cancelling your account and resigning up - not only is that a pain in the butt, I would have lost all the work I had already done.

Then I learn about the difference in 7.0 and 7.1, only after I've signed up... how 7.0 has all these advanced features and you can get git access and so on... immediate buyers remorse. 

But... then I looked at some 7.0 sites and, honestly, unless you want to put in a ton of work, from what I've seen 7.1 sites just look better and more polished out-of-the-box. It's hard for me to put a finger on why. I'm also glad I don't have to deal with 7.0's way of some themes having certain features and not others. So after a month of 7.1 now and building out a pretty big site with custom JS and CSS, I can pretty confidently say I'm mostly happy with 7.1 - if you don't mind doing some JS you can do basically anything and its a better starting place if you want to get going quickly. I do hope they add some of the more advanced things like git access in the future, though.

On 5/7/2020 at 3:28 PM, derricksrandomviews said:

Brine, with parallax scrolling built in,  is a great template with 45  template designs in the family, why even worry but 7.1? It is for first time builders and folks who want a nice looking, easier to build site,  optimized for mobile viewing. 

Unfortunately, put my faith in squarespace and opened a 7.1 site without knowing all the 7.1 facts. 
And the only way to go to 7.0 again is to cancel the account and repurchase. Which is lame.

On 4/25/2020 at 8:32 AM, derricksrandomviews said:

7.1 is very mobile view driven, and it makes it easier for people to build their own site as opposed to hiring someone.  This just shows that 7.0 and 7.1 are for two different groups of site builders. That is not a bad thing in my opinion. You want a bigger box of design tools, a choice of template families that are very unique from each other, then 7.0 is the way to go. If you want a good looking site, for both desktop and mobile, emphasis on the latter, want to change the look of it one day, freshen it up,  without a lot of trouble, then 7.1 is the way to go.

A good perspective and that makes sense with one caveat. If this is designed towards a mobile experience then why doesn't Squarespace offer more design options for the mobile features? Simple design tools, such as styling the hover state, not just the button color. Styling the mobile menu without needing to customize the living daylights out of everything? It does feel a like half-developed platform. Not as fully featured as 7.0, geared towards the mobile crowd, yet doesn't offer mobile design options. 

• 1 month later...

They shouldn't be marketing the two platforms as 7.0 and 7.1.  Saying 7.1 makes it seem like its a new version of 7.0, and its not.

7.1 is completely different from 7.0, and they should be calling it what it is.  7.0 should continue on, as a highly customizable, theme based platform and 7.1 should be more of a turn key webpage.

I like 7.1 and so do my clients, but sometimes is a nightmare to get it to do what you want.

After a book of custom coding, you can get it shaped up, and you can still turn it over to a client to manage on their own without too much fuss.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am so dissapointed too, they have the Brine option there for parallax, but they removed the option to fix the header, so now there is NO WAY to have parallax plus a sticky header. I dont know why they dont offer sticky header in all templates. Clients always ask for this, sometimes we can convince them not to have it fixed but come on, is the minority of cases. 

22 hours ago, MRA said:

I am so dissapointed too, they have the Brine option there for parallax, but they removed the option to fix the header, so now there is NO WAY to have parallax plus a sticky header. I dont know why they dont offer sticky header in all templates. Clients always ask for this, sometimes we can convince them not to have it fixed but come on, is the minority of cases. 

A fixed header can be done with CSS, even if its not an option in the theme.

I am starting to view SQSP as a basic shell for web design. There's almost no website that I build that doesn't involve a good amount of custom coding to enable some basic features overlooked or forgotten by SQSP. I mean, can anyone tell me how a basic back to top button wouldn't be a standard feature?

Here's an option to add parallax scrolling back into any 7.1 site: https://squarestud.io/shop/parallax

• 2 weeks later...

Squarespace recently added Image Effects to background images. If you edit the section and choose Background, add your image then scroll to the bottom and select Image Effect: Tilt to add parallax.

christyprice.com  🇺🇸 Austin, TX US 

Get my 100+ item Client Process Checklist for $17.
📔 Flourish Journal for Creative Entrepreneurs - 365 days of prompts
🎥 Watch Circle Live: Hello Income (feat. Christy Price and Jeremy Schwartz)
🎬 Watch It's Not Hard to Say Goodbye: Crafting Client Offboarding from Circle Day 2023

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just adding my voice to the crowd.  
Squarespace, let's have Parallax in 7.1 (or whatever is next!)  Love the Brine templates, but ACHING for the more flexible features in 7.1 like more text sizes, etc!  But I basically NEED the parallax, preferably without wonky code I found online...

Hi guys, new to the forum but not Squarespace, I've been building websites for 4 years on squarespace and I have to say that 7.1 feels really restrictive even though I know it isn't, the build feels more driven at a newbie website builder. 7.0 feels so much more comfortable. I don't feel that 7.1 give me the confidence to do exactly what i want even though there are some bits I love about it. I hope the next release meets somewhere in the middle, even if they did a tiered developer system that would be great, Beginner, Intermediate, Wizard.

On 11/14/2020 at 8:07 AM, Triick said:

a tiered developer system that would be great, Beginner, Intermediate, Wizard

I totally agree with this and I've told Squarespace support the same thing at least once! 7.1 feels like Squarespace for beginners who don't know what to do with all the customization options, Brine and York templates feel like the freedom that "Wizards" need to work our magic. I'll be heartbroken if they get rid of 7.0 and we are confined to 7.1.

• Jo_SQSP unfeatured this topic

Archived