Missing horizontal "Tear Drop" editing icons. Cant edit properly.

Site URL: http://www.IdleSave.com

I can’t get the  normal horizontal “teardrop” editing tools to appear while working on an existing home page.

I've read much now on editing failures here; I've tried to edit the site on four different browsers on two different computers. There is no odd code or other settings on the site.

This problem is only for the main multi-page home page. Other un-linked test pages work normally. When I copy the large home page I find the same issue in the copy.

I can get into a general "edit" mode and make some changes but the site responds oddly. For example I want to add text saying "scroll down for more -" to the bottom of the page.
When I position the cursor under the button that says “Get a free fleet consultation” and I start to type "scroll down for more -" the button element of “Get a free consultation” disappears, leaving only the text of “Get a free consultation”. This makes me scared to add the text about scrolling – I worry the whole site is now unstable and I fear I’ll trash the whole site if I save.

How do I get your standard editing tools to appear? How do I get the “teardrop” icons to show themselves?

Many thanks for any help!

• Replies 6
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We cannot logon to your site to troubleshoot issues like this. Please contact Squarespace Customer Care. You can reach out to them here.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Paul:

I've left them two notes  - the first perhaps five days ago, the second  more recently. Have not heard back from them, thus my posting here.

Have you any thoughts at all on this absence of the  editing controls on our home page? I take it this is an unusual occurrence? 
Also, when might I expect to hear back from customer care? It's hard to get a sense of their tech support from web queries  -

Thanks for your reply  -  

• 9 months later...
9 hours ago, paige1570047875 said:

I can only add one block before the teardrop disappears entirely, then I have to save my edits, and repeat the process.

There are no known issues that would be causing this. Check that you:

• have removed all custom code, in case this is affecting the editor. Badly written CSS that adjusts margins and padding may prevent the editor working properly. 
  • are using the latest version of a popular browser such as Chrome or Firefox. 

If you are still experiencing issues after following these steps, please reach out to Customer Care (see link in previous post above).

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

11 hours ago, paul2009 said:

There are no known issues that would be causing this. Check that you:

• have removed all custom code, in case this is affecting the editor. Badly written CSS that adjusts margins and padding may prevent the editor working properly. 
  • are using the latest version of a popular browser such as Chrome or Firefox. 

If you are still experiencing issues after following these steps, please reach out to Customer Care (see link in previous post above).

I had no custom code whatsoever when this was happening. I cleared my cache, adjusted the content width, site width, and my own browser zoom, as well as duplicated the page, and some combination of that fixed it temporarily. It's not working again, but thankfully I was able to accomplish what I needed to do. The chat was unavailable when I was having this issue, but I might try again if it becomes unbearable.

I've had things go wonky on occasion. I just had some trouble with the teardrop, dropping out so to speak! 🙂

I just increased the size of my browser a pixel or two and the tears came back! 😿

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Archived