Social Sharing on 7.1

I made the same experience. On trying to find a solution, the Help just tells me, not anymore in 7.1 and if, please go here to this post in the forum. Now I have to struggle with CSS code and try to incorporate code freely available on the web. But what works sometimes more and sometimes less well. Above all, I then never know where I have to insert what. And often it looks like a mess. That I now have to start coding to build my website was not my expectation when I joined Squarespace. 
Sure with CSS and HTML you can build in a lot. But there should simply be more building blocks that are offered to the user. 
Also not really understandable is what is partly built in after all. Pinterest works for me, for example. But also only on one page. And as already described in other post here before, there is in various places the possibility to set checkmarks, which are all meaningless, because these run into the void.

Edited by Horizonte
  • 2 weeks later...

T_IME,
I went to your blog and saw that you were able to get small mono-chromatic social icons onto your site. I see that you were inserting the Sharethis icons on the page which I noticed, but what I'm interested in are the small icons along the bottom. I read this thread but don't see how it's done. Is it part of Sharethis? Could you explain it, beginner-style?

On 2/6/2021 at 1:45 AM, TooManySusans said:

T_IME,
I went to your blog and saw that you were able to get small mono-chromatic social icons onto your site. I see that you were inserting the Sharethis icons on the page which I noticed, but what I'm interested in are the small icons along the bottom. I read this thread but don't see how it's done. Is it part of Sharethis? Could you explain it, beginner-style?

Edit update: my advice only applies to SS 7.0 😬

@TooManySusans - the small icons are already included in your Squarespace design options. ShareThis is a free plug-in not related to Squarespace. I suggest you play around with these:

Design > Site Styles > [type "Share Buttons" in Search Bar] 

SS also provides support here, as the specifics might depend on your template, version (7.0 v 7.1) or site style. Give it a read through. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 12.42.54 PM.png

Also, you can checkmark the social icons you wish to include in your SS share buttons:

Marketing > Share Buttons 

Edited by T_ME
this reply doesn't apply to SS 7.1 social sharing
On 2/7/2021 at 12:46 PM, T_ME said:

TooManySusans - the small icons are already included in your Squarespace design options. ShareThis is a free plug-in not related to Squarespace. I suggest you play around with these:

Design > Site Styles > [type "Share Buttons" in Search Bar] 

SS also has more on this here, as the specifics might depend on your template or site style. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 12.42.54 PM.png

Also, you can checkmark the social icons you wish to include in your SS share buttons:

Marketing > Share Buttons 

This doesn't apply to Squarespace 7.1, which is what this discussion is about. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't understand why it's not working for me! 🙈I've used the share this codes, put the header in the bit outlined, but the other code in the code injection - i've also tried adding a bit of code to the page but it isn't working.
Can anyway take a look for me please? So far have been trying to add here https://www.sleepyangelsconsultancy.com/baby-sleep-coach-blog/how-to-get-baby-to-sleep-when-travelling but will need to add to every blog.

On 5/9/2021 at 5:51 AM, Sleepy_Angels said:

I don't understand why it's not working for me! 🙈I've used the share this codes, put the header in the bit outlined, but the other code in the code injection - i've also tried adding a bit of code to the page but it isn't working.
Can anyway take a look for me please? So far have been trying to add here https://www.sleepyangelsconsultancy.com/baby-sleep-coach-blog/how-to-get-baby-to-sleep-when-travelling but will need to add to every blog.

You should get the sharethis snippet and place it in code block, you can place it on top of the blog content

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

@Susana_SQSPInteresting choice of words: "feature requests". I think it's apparent that what many of us are expressing here is incredulity and disappointment that 7.1 lacks a component that even the most backwards of web platforms possess. What good would putting in a feature request be if the powers-that-be don't realize that their platform is lacking a crucial component? Could you imagine begging an automobile manufacturer to include something so standard as windshield wipers on their vehicles?  

The response from Squarespace on this matter has been shocking, to say the very least.

"Beg us, and we may consider your request."

Really? 😒

Edited by PDChappelle
On 5/31/2021 at 7:25 AM, Susana_SQSP said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the valuable input! For any feedback that you would like to be logged, contacting our Customer Support team would be the best approach. As per section 6 of the forum guidelines we don't track feature requests in this forum. 

Hi Susana - thank you for replying here. I contacted support via chat today and asked if they would kindly pass this on to development. I currently have to use an outside source to add share buttons and it would be great if this could be done within Squarespace.

• 4 weeks later...

As far as customising a ShareThis button, take a look at this tidy example on CodePen: https://codepen.io/brandonST/pen/BRLJNE

Here is how I implemented it on a 7.1 site

Follow the instructions on ShareThis, putting their script in the header first and 'activating' it on their site.

Add your own HTML to a code block or insert in the "Post Blog Item Code Injection" option in 'Blog Settings' for example. 

<!-- ShareThis BEGIN -->
<h4 class="st-custom-title">
  Share this
</h4>
<div data-network="twitter" class="st-custom-button">Twitter</div>
<div data-network="facebook" class="st-custom-button">Facebook</div> 
<div data-network="linkedin" class="st-custom-button">LinkedIn</div> 
<div data-network="email" class="st-custom-button">Email</div> 
<!-- ShareThis END -->

To change or add other share links, consult the documentation on ShareThis here for the 'data-network' reference:

https://sharethis.com/support/customization/how-to-set-custom-buttons/

This is the CSS used from the CodePen example, with a title and Material share icon I've added (see below for font details). 

/* Share This Button - Custom CSS */
.st-custom-title {margin-bottom:12px;} /* customise this margin spacing to suit your site */
.st-custom-title::before {font-family: "Material Icons";
    content: "\e80d"; /* e80d is the share icon from the Material font */
display: inline-flex;
    vertical-align: top;}
.st-custom-button[data-network] {
  background-color: #2c9de4; /* customise this color to suit your site */
  display: inline-block;
  padding: 10px 15px; /* customise this padding to suit your site */
  cursor: pointer;
  font-weight: bold;
  font-size:13px;
  color: #fff;
  &:hover, &:focus {
    text-decoration: none;
    background-color: #00c7ff; /* customise this color to suit your site */
  }
}

The Material share icon CSS reference is "\e80d" and found here: https://fonts.google.com/icons?icon.query=social 

You'll also need to add the Material font link to your header code (I added mine to the site wide header through Advanced > Code Injection). Here's the code snippet from Google:

<link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Material+Icons|Material+Icons+Outlined|Material+Icons+Two+Tone|Material+Icons+Round|Material+Icons+Sharp" rel="stylesheet">

Hope that helps.

Edited by simon

Hi @Webby

Sharing buttons is currently not supported in Squarespace 7.1 as outlined in this help guide here:

Share buttons

In what regards new features release in general, Squarespace regularly emails customers with product updates, so I'd recommend watching your email inbox for new features announcements. Additionally, Squarespace also share product-related information and updates on our MAKING IT blog.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Why is this feature not standard, this is a long thread and I am surprised this hasn't been sorted by now. Perhaps someone from Squarespace could explain why it has been so difficult to add or if it hasn't been added because the preferred method is to use an addon app or something?

2 hours ago, Micromax said:

this is a long thread and I am surprised this hasn't been sorted by now

Squarespace does not officially monitor this forum for bug reports or feature requests.

Please see item six on the forum guidelines.

If you want actions on a particular issue you need to contact customer support.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

On 7/6/2020 at 4:19 PM, jose said:

If you want a well functioning and customizable social share buttons, then try Elfsight. It's an expensive tool but they do a really good job with customization and our package includes unlimited websites. I customized the whole look and feel of the buttons and then was able to just implement it in the code of the Blog instead of having to paste it manually on each blog, works so much better.

https://elfsight.com/social-media-share-buttons/

Works nicely, but I wouldn't want site visitors to click on the "x" and be sent to a page about paid plans at Elfsight.com.

image.png.fe549c7f8b02524696f34ee375c28506.png

@FORNEO hi there,

Thanks for giving our widgets a try!

You see, our free plans are really provided with a free logo, however, you're welcome to upgrade your plan to get rid of the logo.

We provide several plans starting from $5/month, support with any questions you might come up with, friendly community and decent service 🙂

If any assistance needed, feel welcome to contact us back or reach out to our Support Team.

Cheers!

Regards, Elfsight Team

Explore all Elfsight widgets - Widget Catalog
Follow us - Facebook | Instagram