Social Sharing on 7.1

Site URL: https://inktractor.com

I'm trying to figure out a way to add social sharing buttons through code injection on squarespace 7.1 because it doesn't have share buttons. I think there's a way I can manually add at least a like button through say facebook's "like button configurator" but it would be a manual add to every blog post through a code block. I've been told I could circumnavigate this through code injection but I don't know how to change the code to make it a different link for every blog post. Can anybody help me? Here's the code I'm trying to modify to recognize individual blog posts:

<div class="fb-share-button" data-href="https://inktractor.com/fiction" data-layout="button" data-size="small"><a target="_blank" href="https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Finktractor.com%2Ffiction&amp;src=sdkpreparse" class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Share</a></div>
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, so I was having the same issue for version 7.1 (so crazy they took it away). Here is how to add share buttons if you haven't found out already:

1. Go to https://sharethis.com/platform/share-buttons-2/?utm_source=googleadwords&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Search_NB_SocialShare&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6LSrjKmX6AIVkg4rCh3MGwfQEAAYASAAEgIGXfD_BwE

2. It's super easy, but after you select Activate Now, scroll down and click "customise your share buttons" to pick and choose those you want and don't want, and to change their look and location. Unforuntately they don't have any nice sexy buttons, just the standard, but at least you have them.

3. I only wanted them on my blog posts, so for each blog, I added the code to Settings -- Advanced -- Post Blog Item Code Injection. But you could do the same for any page you want to add them to.

4. And it's done. It's free by the way, you just have to register.

• 1 month later...

Thank you @Ophelia123 - this is really helpful.  I have a couple of questions:

1. under Settings -- Advanced -- I only see "code injection" -- and I have the option of adding that code to the header or footer only.  I don't see an option of "Post Blog Item Code Injection" - am I missing something?
  2. I've used the sharethis functionality to add the share icons to the left side of the screen - looks professional and provides the opportunity for me to choose the platforms I want.  I would like to restrict these sharing buttons to just blog posts.  Any suggestions?  

Thanks in advance!

image.thumb.png.eeb4e618055032e01e8d8dd17c1c63fc.png

Thank you so much for sharing this here! I'm having an issue, and I'm not sure if it's an issue with squarespace or sharethis.

I went to sharethis and put the code in my Blog Post Code Injector... I didn't like how it showed up on the page initially, so I went and adjusted the customization, pasting in the new code. (I am trying to get the share buttons to show at the bottom of the blog posts.)

Now, they've disappeared, and I can't get them to reappear at all. There was a message about needing to verify that the js has been placed in the <header>. I cleared cookies, redid it all, and finally got a "Verified" message. Code in header, and code in blog post code injector.

Nothing is showing up on the page. Does it take time to actually show up on the blog post on the website? I'm not sure if I've done something wrong.

Thank you!

Edited by Guest
I moved forward with issue, now stuck at another point. System lag?

ok! I just saw that sharethis sent me an email with the code. It looked different from what was showing up on their website page.

I went & replaced the header code with that. and walla! The share buttons showed at the bottom of my blog post. 

So, I don't know if something went wonky on their website, or there was a delay. But these buttons are great! 

Thank you, @Ophelia123 and everyone! Maybe my issues will help folk... check your email, once you've generated code. The code they send may work if the other doesn't. Or perhaps you just need to be more patient than I was.

On 4/19/2020 at 11:46 AM, VivianeAlexandra said:

You just have to go to Pages menu - Click the settings wheel icon of your blog page - Then click advanced and there you have the option to only put on the blog post.

Thank you so much - I don't know how I didn't see it!  

Edited by PJBeirne

I can't believe you need to use code to create share buttons and also the fact that it's not included in the basic package. Is there a way to submit a request to squarespace for them to change this?? it's 2020, absolutely crazy for this to be considered "extra" and for it to have to be done through code....

On 5/5/2020 at 1:36 PM, MN12 said:

I can't believe you need to use code to create share buttons and also the fact that it's not included in the basic package. Is there a way to submit a request to squarespace for them to change this?? it's 2020, absolutely crazy for this to be considered "extra" and for it to have to be done through code....

What's even more confounding, is that the controls are there. They simply don't work as yet. Social sharing is such an integral part of marketing for most of us, and it would seem to me that implementing this function should have been at the top of the list of things-to-do for the Squarespace team. 

social-sharing.png

On 5/5/2020 at 1:36 PM, MN12 said:

I spoke to a representative at SqSp last year about it, and was told that it was a "good idea", and that he would forward my request to engineers. 😒 I thought he was joking. They obviously have plans to roll out this feature since the controls are there, but I don't know why they're sitting on it.

social-sharing.png

Happy to find this thread! Does anyone know if there's a way to add sharing buttons on a regular page -- not a blog? My client is requesting page in 7.1 which will contain a video and several other elements and they don't want it as a blog post -- but they do the ability for people to share the page. Any ideas on how I can accomplish this?

P.S. I tried using the code from sharethis.com (recommended earlier in this thread by @Ophelia123) in header code injection for the page in question -- it didn't work, but thought it was worth a try... hoping someone can suggest something that does work. Thanks!

Jan & Susan
admin + design
(503) 208-6342

On 5/11/2020 at 12:52 PM, PDChappelle said:

I spoke to a representative at SqSp last year about it, and was told that it was a "good idea", and that he would forward my request to engineers. 😒 I thought he was joking. They obviously have plans to roll out this feature since the controls are there, but I don't know why they're sitting on it.

social-sharing.png

I did the same this past month because it's utterly ridiculous that it's not included in the 'new' hype version, and was told the same. But someone on mgmt did reach out, though they didn't make any promises. It's a pain in the butt. I was also asking about recipe inserts - you know the easy inserts where people can print the recipe if they want? For blogs this is all fairly basic functionality and options. Not the kind of thing I want to be paying for and not have.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you want a well functioning and customizable social share buttons, then try Elfsight. It's an expensive tool but they do a really good job with customization and our package includes unlimited websites. I customized the whole look and feel of the buttons and then was able to just implement it in the code of the Blog instead of having to paste it manually on each blog, works so much better.

https://elfsight.com/social-media-share-buttons/

3 hours ago, jose said:

If you want a well functioning and customizable social share buttons, then try Elfsight. It's an expensive tool but they do a really good job with customization and our package includes unlimited websites. I customized the whole look and feel of the buttons and then was able to just implement it in the code of the Blog instead of having to paste it manually on each blog, works so much better.

https://elfsight.com/social-media-share-buttons/

Thanks! I'll look into this shortly! 

On 7/8/2020 at 3:19 AM, Elfsight said:

Hi!

@jose Thanks for recommending us. We really appreciate this!

@PDChappelle We'll be glad to help you with adding social share buttons on your website. We offer free installation help, so If you need our assistance - don't hesitate to contact our Support Center.

Best regards,

Elfsight Team

Thanks for the offer of assistance. I added your product to my website and it looks fabulous and works flawlessly!